Ecu wiring | FerrariChat

Ecu wiring

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Firas1982, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    Both my plugs going to the ecu' s seem to keep popping out and cutting out the car. I have looked on europares and they seem to sell the 11 pin connector plugs...is it easy to swap over the wiring to the new blocks or do they sell the complete wiring loom? If so where can I get 2 wiring looms from?

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    can you tell which ECU's on which Mondial version? Is it for the engine? Or the ABS? Or something else?

3. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    Yes Sure it's the engine ecu's on a 1985 Mondial QV:(

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Are you sure it's the plugs and not the receptacles on the ECUs? There is a locking tab on the plug that snaps into a slot on the ECU. The tab must be depressed to remove the plug. If the tab is broken off the plug or the slot is damaged the plugs will not lock into place. It's not difficult to replace the plugs if you have the proper tool to remove the electrical pins, but I think you may find it difficult to find new plugs, if they are the problem.

5. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    Many thanks for your response! The receptacles on the ecu are fine. The locking tab on the plug looks ok too. I looked at the parts diagram and it seems to.mention a security clip (part number 60909700). I'm guessing this security clip helps keep the plug locked in and its missing. Any ideas where i could get them?

I have managed to order a new 11 pin block and I'm hoping the tabs will be in better condition and that it will lock better however those security clips may play a part!
    Generally the connection doesnt seem too loose but whenever I go over a large pothole it unclicks out of position and I have to click the plug back in.

Also both rubber protection covers for the plugs (p/n #115550) are also in bad condition so not water tight. They are also NLA. Any tips on improving them or sourcing something aftermarket?

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have an 85 308 QV. Parts diagram says it is supposed to have those same security clips, but it doesn't have them. I've owned the car since new and the ECUs have never been messed with before so I think that may be one of those parts that Ferrari never bothered to put on the cars at some point. But you might try just placing a little wedge under the tab so it can't release w/o the wedge being removed. Or maybe avoid those pot holes. :)

I wouldn't worry about the rubber covers. I presume, like the 308, the ECUs are not exposed to weather.

7. Firas1982

Firas1982 Rookie

Jun 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Firhaas Tukmachi
    Ok fantastic. I might just replace both plugs with the new ones as they may have more sturdy tabs and place a small wedge beneath each tab. The 11 pin plug is the only part that is still available:)