El Mirage | FerrariChat

El Mirage

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by ernie, Aug 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Last weekend I was at the local street racers hang out. One of the guys told me about El Mirage. He said that it is an old dry lake bed out in the desert, off of the Pear Blossum highway, near Victorville. He also said that you can go out there an drive as fast as you want without fear of getting busted by the cops. As a matter of fact he said that he had one of the park rangers clock one of his runs with the radar gun. I had heard of it before but couldn't remeber the name of the place. Sounds kind of like the Salt Flats. I have always wanted to max my car out on top speed, and that seems like the safest place to do it. The only thing I can see being a problem is dust. So I was wondering if any of you guys have been out there, and what advise do you have?

2. fmxa

fmxa Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've never been there, but this is from the BLM El Mirage web site at http://www.ca.blm.gov/barstow/mirage.html.

"There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas. During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors"

3. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have been there many times, its a large dry lake bed about 5 x 13 miles long, pretty flat and generally a good place to have fun. To take a good shiny F car out there would be madness though, its a dirt road about 2 miles long to get there with big time ruts. Take a look at southern california timing association web site. Many people have become members of the 200 mph club on the lake. A fun day is to go see a so cal timing event.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks for the info fellas. The link to the website is very useful. Yeah getting a Ferrari all dusty isn't the best idea. Especially since the engine area gets so dirty just driving down the road. I'm still thinking of going out there anyway. If I do I'll post a thread about it. Thanks again for the info.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Be carefull. Thats the only advise i can give you.