Electric A/C install on my 328 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Electric A/C install on my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tony Andrews, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    we never got it started sooo we are working to get it a least to start

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Ah...the old "Voltage Fault" trick! Good Luck!! :)

Tony Andrews likes this.
  3. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Tony I tried to come by yesterday but when I got to BJ's I discovered I wasn't able to log into F-Chat to give you a shout. I should have never let F-Chat or any other site keep my log on info, I'm just too lazy to try to remember them I guess.

Might you be working on it around 4:30 any day this week?

4. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    That would have been super cool.... 3212085869 give me a shout

5. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    It is alive and working. Here is the video link for your amusement. i will post detailed directions soon but in the mean time enjoy the video. We learned a lot. Directions were wrong so we are helping the seller of the product to fix that. Blows cold at 41 degrees and my fans crank it in. I am still debating going to the next level up of compressor and doubling my cooling ;pleasure. It turns out the compressor will only rarely max draw 27 amps. It is only drawing 9 while running full on so not sure why it is rated much higher. Having said that i am thinking the 50 amp draw is my next step to creating an ice box. Results are very good so far... here is the link enjoy.

6. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    We got it working this morning but a fellow Ferrarian is welcome here. give me a call and i will come up to bjs and get you
    Come to bjs and give me a call 3212085869 and i will come get you... got it done and working

7. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews

WaltP likes this.
  8. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
  9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    How does it work in the sun?

10. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Youtube will only let me post 15 minutes of the 35 minute video so here is the short version of the 1988 Ferrari 328 electric a/c install

11. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    jury is out still as i have not been to a car show yet but will let you know.... i have also obtained a solar battery charger for those days to give me a little extra if needed...

12. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Now the full video is up so here it is part one of two and you just click on two of two in order to see second half...yea i know you new that...

13. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
  14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Great Video, Tony!

I really hope it works but I have to be honest, I'm finding it hard to imagine that a 4k BTU unit could cool the car outside on a warm day. OTOH, the advantage of the E-compressor is that (I assume) it runs at an optimum speed at all times, rather than varying with engine RPM. So maybe that gives it more functional cooling than a conventional system output which varies depending on RPM.

The biggest issue for a car AC system to deal with is the heat-soaked car that's been sitting in the summer sun with interior temps of maybe 140F! That, of course, requires a large BTU capacity to rapidly cool the interior under such conditions. Nowadays, we get into a car in those conditions and expect the interior temp to be "comfortable" by the next stoplight. Obviously, that takes a LOT of capacity as opposed to keeping an already-cool car comfortable.

But, as I have said several times - really looking forward to a real-world test.

Interestingly, though most of us here have stated we believe the biggest limitation on the OEM AC for these cars is the evaporator, Retro-Air, in their info for their Ferrari 308 system, states that the evaporator is adequate and does not need replacement. They claim that it is literally everything else that limits performance - compressor, condenser, hoses, expansion valve, etc. I find that hard to believe but they ARE in the business and have been for years so one would ASSUME (!) they know what they are talking about. ;)

15. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Mike thank you and i will keep you posted on the progress of this as i am not done yet.... there is a real possibility of me putting in a more powerful unit.... limitations on that being the amp draw at 55.... I am certain that the next level compressor will put an icebox in the car. But for now i will test out the one i have and keep you all posted. thanks again for the read and input as i will use everyone's thoughts to make this better.

16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Tony, thanks for doing this research! As a Texan that likes cooler temps, my fingers are crossed that you figure out how to keep our cars cool and tolerable in hot weather.

Electric AC has been a hot (pun intended) topic in the air-cooled 911 world as well over the last couple of years. Here's a recent thread on the Pelican Parts 911 technical forum if you're interested in what the 911 guys are doing - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/921754-classic-retrofit-lightweight-electric-air-conditioning.html .

Texbike

17. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Thank you i will take a look

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I hadn't really thought about it until Tony started this thread but there are a number of vehicles that use electric AC compressors nowadays - everything from all-electrics like tesla to various hybrids. So clearly, electric compressors can easily do the job in a car. The only issue is power. If the alternator can handle whatever load the compressor draws, it seems to me to be a much better way to do the job.

I don't know offhand what the OEM Ferrari alternator capacity is but, as has been stated, there are high capacity alternators available - I've seen up to 370A in casual searching. Of course, whether one would fit in the 3x8 space, I don't know.

19. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Update; it is 96 today here in Cocoa beach today. With top off and windows down feet cold, legs cold, waist cool, from chest up hot. i realize that these conditions will make it very difficult to really cool the car. I am of the Tim the Tool man Taylor mindset so i am thinking the car can handle 55 amps and double the cooling power should get me cool up to my chest which is what i am looking for.... Be nice if there was some kind of snap in barrier from the waist down that would hold the cool air in the waist down portion of the car. hmmmm

20. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    Update: The car is running 15 degrees cooler...180 instead of 195.. Since we put in the heavy screen to replace the vented panel behind the condenser (rf under light) and we hard wired the fan to come on with toggle / a/c. I guess the additional airflow past the radiator is causing the cooling effect. Car is comfortable for me but that is not good enough since a passenger needs to be VERY comfortable.... looks like i will be getting the 6000 BTU unit and do a simple swap out. The units are identical in size for compressor and controller.... only difference is amp draw..

21. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    on a 12 volt system if your wanting to do the electric a/c i do not think you would need more than 80 amp generator which is not that much by today's standards

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Tony Andrews likes this.
  23. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    On the sidelines cheering for ya Tony!

Tony Andrews likes this.
  24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hi Tony, I just read your last post, paying more attention this time...

You mentioned that the engine is running cooler because you removed the panel behind the condenser and toggled the fan to come on.

I'm wondering how this could affect engine temp since, unlike the 308, which has the condenser mounted in front of the radiator, the 328 condenser and fan is remote mounted and is not related at all to the cooling system of the engine. Not saying it didn't happen, just trying to figure out why! ;)

Re that louvered OEM panel behind the condenser - yeah, I removed mine years ago and replaced it with 1/4" screen. It makes a difference in cooling when my car is stopped or at very low speed. I can't say it made any noticeable difference at highway speed. But at low speed on a hot day it improved the AC from "almost useless" to "poor!"

As is everyone else watching this thread, I'm anxious to see some reports of "out in the sun in the middle of the day" performance! And, as others have said, I'm rooting for you!!! :)

25. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks so much for doing this Tony, and sharing with everyone here. What's great about this system is how accessible it is. No long hoses, no hard to access compressor.