Electric A/C install on my 328 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Electric A/C install on my 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tony Andrews, Jun 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I think the spec sheet said 570 watts so at 12V, that's <48 amps.

What controls the temperature in the passenger compartment? Does the compressor have a relay that cycles the compressor so it can still be controlled by the old temperature control or is that future work?

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    570W? That's much less than I expected it would take to keep the car cool in summer heat. That's pretty impressive!

3. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    The compressor has a petonimeter on it which turns it up or down in terms of rpm... it is a cooling control switch.... it gives you a wide range of power to the compressor which stays on at all times. When I trun off the car the a/c can still be running for about 5 minutes without running down the battery. I have a seperate switch for condensor fan which i usually leave on while running. So compressor comes on and it takes about 3 minutes to start cooling.... got to admitt it produces a lot of water condensation which pools under the cars discharge tube. i put up a video of the entire install process on this thread some where.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #129 mike996, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Tony, just wondering...

Clearly, your installation is very convenient/efficient for several reasons - short wiring to the battery/eliminates the long AC hoses to the rear, etc. But wondering if the components could be separated so that the controller and compressor could fit in different locations so as to leave the spare tire compartment available for the spare. Did you consider that at all or just figure you would never care about having the spare?

I have made several long (cross country) trips in my 328 and would be reluctant to NOT have the spare tire.

ALSO - I just went back and read some of the initial posts in the thread. I had forgotten your post about the condenser fan. Do I correctly understand that you added an additional fan to the condenser on the rear side while retaining the original fan on the front or did I misread/misunderstand that?

5. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    AAA and fix a flat will get me to the nearest tire dealer...... the condensor fan just has one fan on the back however the solid plate behind it was removed and replaced by metal screening to allow more air to pass through it. Thanks for your thoughts

6. Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews Karting

Oct 20, 2017
    Merritt island Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Andrews
    The compressor has a petonimeter on it which turns it up or down in terms of rpm... it is a cooling control switch.... it gives you a wide range of power to the compressor which stays on at all times. When I trun off the car the a/c can still be running for about 5 minutes without running down the battery. I have a seperate switch for condensor fan which i usually leave on while running. So compressor comes on and it takes about 3 minutes to start cooling.... got to admitt it produces a lot of water condensation which pools under the cars discharge tube. i put up a video of the entire install process on this thread some where.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    OK, understand re the condenser fan. I removed the rear louvered cover/replaced it with 1/4" screen many years ago and it made a noticeable difference for cooling especially at low speed.