Electric Fan Control | FerrariChat

Electric Fan Control

Discussion in '348/355' started by Roth, Feb 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Gentlemen may I have your attention please. Reading all my posts you can’t tell the appreciation I have for the 355. Honestly, there isn’t a more perfect car in my opinion. Because I like this model more than anything rolling on four or walking on two, I will attempt my co tributes to its form and function some way or another. Having said that I’ve been contemplating on two projects. One is currently in the process. I will have the finish product hopefully by mid March. If I can keep the cost low and quality on par with Ferrari reputation, I will show it here. If not, the project will be trashed and the blueprint shredded. My second project, I need to do a bit of research and what better way to get the right informations than here in the 348/355 forum.

The 355 is phenomenal car in form and function but some of the gadgetries and control could use an update. One I will attempt to upgrade is the fans control. The period between the fan on and off is a big gap. The temp gauge has to go past the middle mark for the fan to come on. When it does, the temp needle has to fall back to the 3/4 mark below the middle for the fan to shut off. This gap is too great. The temperature swing is too much. I believe the 355 engines run better when the temp gauge idles near the middle mark with little fluctuation. Theoretically, it can be done. I just need to find a few electronic parts and put them together. My question for everyone, we know the fans are controlled by a temperature gauge. Does anyone know if it’s an air or water gauge and at what temperature setting activities the fans? I am certain every 355 owners will benefit if I have all the infos and available parts. Thanks

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    RH fan? According to the manual, an NTC (negative temperature coefficient) coolant temperature sensor (in the engine "V" I think) sends a signal to the engine ECU and the ECU controls the fan. Only one temperature is given for this fan in the manual (fan on at 95C). Note that the right hand radiator is in series with the oil radiator, so there might be other considerations.

LH fan? There is a water temperature switch which activates at 88C +/-2C and deactivates at 82C +/-2C. There doesn't seem to be much room to play with here.

3. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Ian, great dig up. Im too lazy to read the manual. Reading was never my favorite subject since grade school. I preferred recess and lunch. Anyhow Im amazed by the complexity of the 355 control. The simple process of lowering the spider top requires 5 limit sensors and a trigger switch independent of normal control switches. The control circuit has to be an “AND” logic which mean window left AND window right AND seat left AND seat right AND the roof latch has to be unlatched for the top to open. Either one of the sensors failure, the roof will not open. Ferrari had to know the error factor is 5 fold and because these are moving sensors with a margin of error within fraction on an inch. The seat limit sensors could have been a $5 bullet proof single pole double throw micro switch. The good news is nothing is impossible. Existing control can be replaced but who is motivated enough to replace all the switches in the windows and under the seats that requires drilling not to mention the costs. I like to mention, the problem has more to do with the sensors not the “ECU”. Oh, shoot I’m off topic.

I thought the fans control is much simpler. I would have never imagined Both fans are controlled separately by coolant temp and oil temp. This throws a monkey wrench into my plan. I suppose the only way to get an accurate temperature reading is by coolant temp. I’m hesitant to drill or tap into anything 355. My idea is to add an adjustable air thermostats to turn on the fan at half the speed between the on/off gap of normal operation. Will maintaining the working of existing control. I suppose if I can find a spot in the engine compartment where the temperature varies proportional to the engine temperature it could work. If anyone wants to tackle this project, we can partner up. I can design the circuit, get the pieces and put them together. What I need is to locate an accessible spot in the engine bay. Get temperature reading when the fan(s) comes on and when it turns off wile the car is in motion. If we can get consistent readings at different time of day, it could work. I M not motivated enough to do the experiment in my spider. Too precious. :)

Qavion likes this.
  4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure why you would want to do this. My fans never kick in when I am moving even in fairly hot ambient temps. The only time they kick in is when stopped.
    The lhs fan first of course and the rhs fan never unless at race track. Nit sure of others but mine seem to work fine. Stop and go traffic they kick in and out with high ambient temps regularly. Maybe every 3 minutes if stopped and nit moving with ambient in the 90 s
    I kind of like it thiis way but mabe you want them to run at quarter speed when car is stopped and not kick off?
    Mine works as per manual only a few degrees between on and off.

5. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    This is my understanding from discussing with Daniel @ Ricambi and yelcab, during my major service in 2014:

1. The LH fan is controlled by a thermistor switch on the LH radiator (P/N 158655). No idea what the hysteresis is, but some research on the part itself should help.

2. The RH fan is controlled by the ECU, which takes a temperature reading from a coolant temperature transmitter (P/N 148677, a rather expensive part in comparison). Changing the hysteresis here would involve hacking the ECU.

3. Separately, the temperature gauge takes a reading from another thermistor (P/N 125769, located very near 148677). Obviously no hysteresis here.

IMO it's actually a fairly clever triple-redundant design.

6. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    No rhyme or reason. Just curiosity hoping to make good better. A while ago someone mentioned the fans situation as I stated in the first post. Mine does the same and I’m convinced all 355 electric fans behave the same way. So why does it matter? Well, correct me if I’m wrong. Combustion engines operate at their max potential at an ideal temperature. The low and high between the fan(s) off and on as indicated by the temperature gauge in the 355 while running is too wide. I speculate at least 50 degrees or more. What if it’s possible to reduce the gap to less than 30 or even 20 degrees. Well, I believe it can be done. Hence, my inquiries.

From informations provided by Ian and Chan, it seems Ferrari got all bases covered. Multiple layers of temperature sensors make sense given the 355’s has a high strung, high performance engine. Coolant, oil, engine compartment ambient temperature to work the fans. Not much room to improve on except to make it more precise by reducing the gap thus reduce temperature variations between high and low. The obstacle is I don’t have a 355 fan laying around to get my hands on and I’m not about to take mine apart to dissect. If all things normal applying electrical common sense, I don’t need to see a DC motor to know it’s operating characteristic but given Ferrari over engineering nature, it’s hard to be certain. Does anyone know how many wires go to the fan?

Again someone correct me if I’m wrong. By observation, the fans are either ON or OFF which implies there is no speed control. I know the fans have DC motors. The speed of DC motors is easily controllable by voltage or current. If my assumption is spot on, adding an ambient temperature sensor, calibrated to within the high and low and wire the fan(s) to half the rated fuse size, keeps the fan(s) running at about half speed. The fuse, temp. sensor can be sized and calibrated to achieve an ideal temperature range.

Here’s the logic. Let say the fan(s) comes on when temperature reaches 215 degrees and cut off at 170 degrees. That’s 45 degrees swing. Now let say an additional control is added to turn the fan(s) ON at half speed when temperature reaches 200 degrees and OFF at 190 degrees. Theoretically, temperature gauge will lingers much longer at about 200 degrees. Overall environmental factors dictate whether temp. rises or fall. Likely fall slowly and turn OFF at 190 degrees. At which point rise again keeping overall engine temperature between 190 and 200 degrees. All without tapping or negating original control circuit. I think it will work. The result however, is my theory until proven to be facts. Facts achievable thru tinkering temp. sensor and fuse size. That’s not a theory. I made a sketch of a multi layer control circuit if anyone wants to tackle it. I’m not about to mess with my first 355 Spider. I won’t be able to give myself if I put a scratch on it. I ha e my priority. :)

7. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    It is redundant but maybe more than meets the eyes. If those temperature sensors monitor many areas of an engine; oil, coolant and engine bay ambient temperature. That’s three zones of coverage. All crucial to a race engine.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    To the fan motor, only two (positive and negative).

Cooling circuit

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Roth if your fans are letting the engine fluctuate more than 10 degrees than they are not working as designed.
    Something else is wrong
    They work as per Ian's post above 6 degrees diff mine is 10 on the gauge but who says how accurate the gauge is.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think Tim might have done something like this on his spider but not sure if he did it or just talked about doing it.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The fuse size cannot control the fan speed. I believe you meant resistor. Some cars use a (large) inline resistor to run the fan at about half speed. They also have a dual thermo-switch and two fan relays - first thermo-switch temp runs the fan via the resistor and the second runs the fan directly at full speed.

A much better way to achieve continuously variable fan speed (depending on coolant temperature) is a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller. An example of one good for up to 65 Amps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-PWM-Fan-Controller-Push-In-Probe/222028311625?epid=1729798694&hash=item33b1eb2c49:g:hvMAAOSwlv9aep5B&vxp=mtr

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Nice. Roth I am sure Miroljub can help a lot.

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I have built a variable fan speed PWM controller for my race car (the one on my avatar) using a Toyota (Denso) power stage fan PWM (and building an interface (triangular wave form generator) to the sensor. The sensor I used is a thermistor (i.e. PTC - positive temperature coefficient resistor). It works fine but I wouldn't do it again since the Derale controllers seem good quality (with robust power handling capability) and are reasonably priced.

14. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    My car runs fine. My intend is to add to the anything 355 bucket of knowledge. Awhile ago someone mentioned if there’s a way to keep the fan running at lower speed so the fan(s) doesn’t cycle too much between the OFF and ON. I didn’t think there was a need for it. Now that I notice the temperature in my car swing quite a bit, I thought it would be a good idea to add an additional control circuit to minimize the cycling. The temperature swing is probably normal in the 355. I just find it odd given every car I own past and present, the needle kinda stuck in the middle once the engine warns up. Someone else can co firm or debunk this, even if the needle only move slightly, it’s more than 10 degrees.

15. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Here’s my logic follows by reasons. Cars electrical system operates on Direct Current. Therefore all electric motors in a car is a DC. There are many types of DC motors. Applications that require lots of torque such as a fan or the F1 motor is likely the Series type since Series Motors offer better torque curve than the other types. Series type motor gets its name due to the fact that its magnetic field windings is electrically in series of the armature. The speed of all DC motors depends on the strength of the magnetic fields which is proportional to the net power(VoltAmp) input. By varying VA input, the strength of the magnetic fields varied in strength thus the speed of the motor. The best way to reduce a DC motor speed, in the case of the 355 electric fan(s) is to limit the amount of current to the field windings. If the original fuse size is 20 amps, theoretically the speed of the fan(s) is half if a 10 amps fuse is in line instead of the 20 amps. Alternately, the speed can be co trolled by varying the voltage to the field windings. This method requires a resister in line with the motor. The inline resistor acts as a load by reducing voltage. In the process it creates wasted energy and heat. The only time this method I see preferred, is when an application require a motor to adjust speed infinitely by adjusting the resistance of the rheostat, the speed controller.

I thought the 355 fan(s) is either ON or OFF no speed control. Are you sure there is a resistor in-line with the fan(s)? This makes no sense but given what I learn the way Ferrari did things back then. “potientiameter” under the seats??? What for? When the spider top engages to open, the “ECU” asks itself are the seats in the designated forward position. If not move the seats forward. When the top engages to close, the “ECU” just need to know are the seats in the designated rear position. If not move the seats back after the top closes. That’s all. The “ECU” doesn’t need to know where the seats are at every position. It doesn’t need to know how heavy the person sitting in the passenger seat or if she’s wearing panties. I have seen the “potientiometer” just going by informations posted on here. :)

taz355 likes this.
  16. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Here's my understanding of how the fans work.

The left hand fan is controlled by a water temperature sensor in the left hand radiator. It comes on at 190 degrees and goes off at around 180 degrees (forget the exact off temp.) The right hand fan is controlled by another water temperature switch located near the oil filter. It sends its information to the engine ECU which only turns it on if the left hand fan isn't keeping up. The ECU may also take other things into consideration to make its decision but I don't believe there are any other temperature sensors in existence for oil or engine bay temperatures. So neither of the two sensors have anything directly to do with oil temperature or engine bay temperature, just water temperatures. Accordingly, if the car is operating correctly, the right hand fan rarely comes on unless driven under extremely hot conditions with high humidity.

Something I have thought to be worth while would be a way to let the fans alternate between sensors so they would see more or less the same duty cycle and concomitant wear and tear. First the left hand fan and next the right hand fan and so forth, switching sensors (not sure how to do this??). Another thought I have had to reduce engine bay temperature in stop and go traffic on hot summer days would be a way to allow the fans (maybe both) to run continuously at a slower speed sensing engine bay temperatures to keep them from getting too high (not sure what temperature that should be).

Just my 2 cents worth.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I agree with you there new vehicles the temp does not seem to move at all. The 355 has a lot of cooling in my mind simply because very little speed keeps the fans totally off.
    Looks like you could take a similar design to Miros and it would work.

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Putting in a 10 A fuse to a 20 A fan will not slow down the fan, just blow the fuse.

The temp gauge on modern cars is pegged to the mid position because the gauge is operated by an "intelligent" circuit which will keep the needle in the middle (to keep the owner happy) over a range of temperature around the normal. It will only start moving up when the temp goes above the upper "normal range" point and give you a nice late warning. Silly design but car manufacturers did it (Jaguar being one of the first, I think, in the 80's) to avoid customers complaining during warranty that their temperature sometimes goes "high" i.e. does not sit exactly in the middle.

How Jaguar (XJ8) achieved low and high speed of twin fans is to, at the first temp trigger point, run the fans wired in series. The fans need to be similar power (Amps) and, as each will get 6V, they will run at about half speed. At the second temp trigger point, there will be a switch-over and the fans will be wired in parallel and both run at full speed. The switch-over is done by a relay module which has three relays inside it and two input trigger terminals - low & high.

taz355 likes this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    a) Just put a switch in the drivers compartment to turn the fans on
    b) put a diode and a resistor in series with the +12V input on each fan.
    ....the diode pointing so the current flows
    ....the resistor sized so the fans run at 1/4 speed (+/-) and of at least 10W dissipation
    c) wire one side of the switch to +12, wire the other side to the resistor on each fan
    d) when the switch is on, the fans run just enough to blow more air through the radiators than natural ventilation flows.

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I like that idea half speed

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So let's see. These cars have been running around for 20 years on average and all of a sudden the cooling system need to be redesigned?
    So...why the diode?

Of course, these cars have been running fine as designed for 20 years or more so why mess with it in the first place?

22. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Just for fun, I guess. Instead of the manual switch, you can have a dual thermo switch plus an additional relay. There is a suitable dual thermo switch, same thread as the Ferrari's (M22 x 1.5) and its switching is 1st 83/79, 2nd 88/84. This is Peugeot p/n 126416, Citroen 95630939 and Alfa 60533503. The setup with a dual thermo switch and a resistor was used in the old BMW 7 series (E23) with a 20 A fan and the resistor is still available, I think. The resistor is about 0.5 Ohm and it is mounted on the fan shroud to get cooling. It is probably about 100W. A 10W resistor, mentioned earlier in the thread, would not do as you cannot control a 240W fan with such a small wattage resistor.

The above described method of fan speed control is very crude with a lot of heat dissipated (wasted energy) by the resistor. If anyone wants to play with the fan(s) speed, a much better way is to go PWM - no heat dissipation (there is some actually but it is very small). Or go the Jaguar way (series and parallel) which does not waste any energy (heat) and you will have both fans running so the one that gets seldom used in the 355's factory setup will not get rusty.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, power dissipated in the resistor is wasted, but over all you still draw less power from the battery when running the fan through the resistor circuit. Also remember the fuse is sized to handle the surge current when the fan starts. Once up to speed the fan will draw less current.

24. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Gentlemen, I think we have a eureka moment. For those who insists having the fan(s) runs at half speed, the diagram should get you going. Line 1 and 2 are existing control circuit. Line 3 and 4 is added. Exiting control is not altered in any way. When it triggers the fan(s) to come on, secondary control (line 3 and 4) open up and isolated from the circuit. Secondary control (line 3 and 4) trigger the fan(s) at 185 degress. Fuse and resistor size can be adjusted to desire speed.