Electrical interference | FerrariChat

Electrical interference

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    This may seem like a really off the wall question but here goes anyway.

Have any of you ever wondered what the effect of so many cars in the big cities slipping thru the air has on the electro-magnetic fields. I mean, a car has a .35 or so coefficient of drag. This must produce some surface friction on cars and create some sort of static electricity. Now multiply this by hundreds of thousands of cars driving past the same point on any given day in large cities. Could this creation of static electricity have an even more far reaching effect on the electro magnetic fields and the atmosphere?

I have no idea how any of this works but I was thinking about it on my way in this morning with all the other morning drivers. Could it really do anything to affect anything? Just wondering.......

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    It has no effect. The charges created are so small and since electric field intensity follows the inverse square law (i think), the farther away you get, the field is substantially less intense. You should be more worried about the static charges rthat come from the friction between the car and the road, which is why you sometimes get a small static shock when closing a car door after driving.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Billions of farting cows & humans etc is probably a bigger problem :)

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thats why i eat meat. im jsut doin my part to save the enviroment. ha