Electrical issue after 550 transported from FL to CA | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Electrical issue after 550 transported from FL to CA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JimEakin, Jun 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Fixed! (We'll see for how long.)
    I found a trick on the web (Nancy Hamilton!?) on how to solder items of different mass. So I applied the soldering iron to one side of each spade sticking out (higher mass compared to pad on the PCB) and touched the solder to the other side until it melted, indicating that the solder was sticking to the spade. Then the melted solder joined with the existing solder on the pad on the PCB.

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good job, hope that was the problem and it's fixed. Let us know

3. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    Jim -- you must be darn near the most patient and/or understanding man in the world. When my 550 was delivered and it didn't start, I was miffed beyond all reasonableness, and it only turned out to be a weak fob battery plus a new full size battery. In your shoes, I would have been apoplectic. Hope you solved your problem. Frank

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Jim, did that solve the non-starting issue?

5. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Dave,

Yes, so far so good. That fixed the alarm and starting problems. The supplier of those fuse boxes really didn't know how to solder.

Thanks for helping me zero in on the issue. I could have spent a long time trying to figure this out. I'm a diy guy, not into having a dealer or shop charge a ton of money...

Once I got it on the road, I did have an issue with sdl a couple of times - really hot days. I had 7 codes on OBD2 analyzer. I cleared those and no issues again so far.

This forum is really great with many experienced people willing to help. I plan to spend more time here and hopefully meet some of you at an event.

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Jim, Glad to hear it's all good now.

7. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Oengus likes this.
  8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    For those who still have the old OEM fuseboards....I make new boards for 550 and several other models Ferrari.
    The 550 model I put longer pins where the wires are connected. The original only holds the connectors for about 2 mm (see first picture.The marks of connection on the upper side of the pins ist just 2 mm !!)....just seeking for problems.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Picture 2 shows my board with the longer pins....now there is 5 mm connection with the wire connector !
    The base with the solder points also is 5 mm wide instead of 3 mm OEM....also to mention the bigger connectors for fuses and relais !

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The same modifications I put on the boards for 456 and 512 TR new model boards.

Guido

F456M and ///Mink like this.
  9. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    From 16 may on I'll be back to produce new boards for those who are in the need for one. There is a waitinglist of 11 boards, but I have 7 in stock, so still 4 to make.Dont hesitate to ask for more information : start conversation here or contact me [email protected]
    Guido

Il Tifoso likes this.