Electrification | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Electrification

Discussion in '296' started by kbaillie, Jul 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Even if ferrari doesnt im sure someone could replace the cells as by that time if manufacturers dont still sell battery packs it would be a big aftermarket business

LuxRes likes this.
  2. f308gtsi

f308gtsi Rookie

Dec 23, 2007
    United States
    The challenge is the the vehicles are specifically tuned to the battery packs to detect irregularities and either shut down immediately or gracefully over time to protect the vehicle. It will be interesting to see how they develop. But the idea that you can get 20+ mpg in a high powered Ferrari is a great accomplishment.

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

All sounds good but one major difference. Non EV cars you can fix them yourself if you have the ability.

EV will be a throw away item. From day 1 the battery starts losing its life. I dont think any of the EV hybrid range will ever be considered as collectible.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Lets see if the battery pack lasts as long as your 458 has. I doubt it. IMO there is no way I would trade a 458 that you love ( I personally dont ) and be a Guinee pig on Ferraris first Hybrid efforts.

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yes at $100,000 PLUS

The cells are not like you std 12 volt battery. The car would have to be taken fully apart. This will be a Ferrari job and cost a crap load.

6. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Some good points

However i find tesla a bit like apple
    Eg they dont want anyone to repair it, you are essentially only ever leasing it as u always upgrade to a new one, so much tech im sure it will profile u and be useful for gov to collect data
    I dont want to be a part of it but thats just me

7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey? Is that correct? Its somehow hidden inside the chassis never to be replaced??

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Add another one the real reason. Why wont Ferrari include in their factory warrantee like others that the battery pac have a 10 year unlimited KM warrantee.

Im sure you know the answer. Ever spoken to a La Ferrari owner challenged with a battery cost to replace ? $250,000

9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    Telsa Roadster is going to be very interesting if they ever build it.....

gds7368 and paulchua like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Its built into the chassis. Its plumbed for water cooling then add all those massive thick cables.

There was a video I found but have lost it. Let me see if i can find it again.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Thats the fact that I was pointing out. Its a throw away. A well looked after 308 will last forever. A hybrid will be battery gone throw it away. The second hand market for these will NOT be in demand like non hybrid Ferraris.

This throw away scenario ild rather play with a $60K KIA not a $750 k Ferrari.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    LaF recently went for 5+M

that’s less then 5% it’s total cost

it’s relative to an engine out

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #38 paulchua, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    I mean you’re talking about the LaF. If the battery replacement cost for the 296 is also 250k, you have a point.

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think of it like edelbrock

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The Tesla S has basically been the same car for over 10 years. I mean one just hit a million miles this year.

I never owned a single daily driver car for over a decade.

16. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Oh, I sure hope the battery pack lasts as long as my 458 has! My boss has an early Model S (2012) that's older than my 458 and is still humming along. In fact, he was just "complaining" to me this morning about how the car continues to be so reliable and has retained 88% of its original range, thus giving him little reason to upgrade to a newer car. As is mentioned in this thread, there are Teslas with over 1m miles on them now, and several over 500k on an original battery pack. Hopefully Ferrari's battery technology today is better than Tesla's was 10 years ago...

Who knows what the future will bring, or what the resale market for hybrid Ferraris will be like. I personally don't think the hybrid tech will reduce desirability one iota, and repairability will end up being much like anything else on a Ferrari. The radio/navi unit cost me $15k to replace in my 458, so I don't expect anything to ever be cheap with 'em, but I don't see it being six figures either, especially given the relatively small battery capacity and plummeting cost of battery production. Just my opinion. Only time will tell who was overly optimistic or pessimistic! :)

bjhanson3 and MANDALAY like this.
  17. gds7368

gds7368 Rookie

May 28, 2015
    Columbus, Ohio
    I read your comments with particular interest as I daily drive a Tesla S Plaid alternating with F12 on good weather days (Ohio) ... with a 296 test drive this Friday ... wish me luck!

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

When carbon wheels cost $50,000 a set of 4 with absolutely no labour cost ild say the battery would be in excess of $100,000

19. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    Excited to hear your thoughts once you've had a go in the 296! I've never driven an F12, so the gap between your "average" ICE reference point and mine (all V8s) may yield a very different impression.

As for the Plaid, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get used to the power. It seems to exceed the human body's inherent expectations for the kind forces it should be subjected to... ;)

gds7368 likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Plausible, but I have not seen any official battery replacement costs quotes for the 296.

21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Finally found the picture.

Below is FS90. I believe the 296 has the same skeleton but the battery is much smaller. Accessible ? I highly doubt it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Absolutely… all this $100,000 rumours is just it must be half the cost of the LAFerrari battery.. I heave heard 22,000 Euros from a German Dealer and 18,000 Pounds from UK Dealer.. seems pretty fair to me when you consider the cost of other parts on previous Ferraris. Proof will be when one is replaced out of warranty or after a 10 year period and someone posts about it. With the numbers of 296 being built these batteries will come down in price and no way a car manufacturer is putting out $350,000 car with a battery liability of $100,000.. LAFerrari 918 Spyder P1, that’s a different story based on numbers built and cost of vehicle..

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is all hypothetical,

Next time I stop by my dealership, I'll just ask my buddy. I'll let folks know.

Cheers

24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    MANDALAY likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    How about labour cost ?

Add that to the equation and you will be up there.