Elise / Exige Questions? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Elise / Exige Questions?

Discussion in 'British' started by thecarreaper, Aug 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Funny I just saw the green one they have and looked at their inventory today.

Small world, and thank you for the heads up.

i found the "lost" beach car today. Got the details. Going to look at it Friday after my 911 gets its PPI for a perspective buyer. Its yellow, I want blue or green, go figure. :)

2. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #27 thecarreaper, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    yeah its weird. i live on the industrial side of town, and i have really noticed other folks reacting to other really fancy cars and signs of wealth. I hate to use the term "have nots" but there is a noticeable resentment that i see in others while i am camouflaged in my brown F150. :) Maybe i just need to move, but when i get my " land / other place" it wont be as much of a factor. Besides the zombies will be here in a few months anyway. :) :) :)

I think an Elise in a obnoxious green would make more people smile, as you know its an Easter egg on wheels and you cant take it seriously. I think you can see that green from space?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I don't know if it's a new car you'll be buying or if you can get the new V6 Exige S in the US but if yes that's the car you want.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_X-cyhk63I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1nLCZ46YM[/ame]

4. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    cool, Thank you !

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Except of course for the cabinari who do notice bright colors regardless of car, have no sense of humor and an enhanced revenue collection antena.

6. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #31 Aedo, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    I daily drive my 156bhp Rover powered Elise (never sold in the US) and although more power would be nice (isn't it always) it isn't necessary for driving enjoyment :)

Not for sale in the US as a road car (track only). Can't wait to see one here though :)

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Great post !

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yup, I would probably go for something that doesn't scream "SPEED!!!" when parked.

9. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I agree with pretty much everything said here. I bought my car in May of 09 with 6k miles. These are AWESOME cars and for the most part VERY reliable but there are a few things to look out for if you buy an early production car like mine.

Premature cam wear. Mine suffered from this and the cams were replaced with Piper stage 2 cams. The car now has a great lope to the idle and dynoed at 194 RWHP on a mustang dyno.

An exhaust is a must, the factory exhaust is way too quiet, I opted for the Jan Speed stage 2 and it sounds incredible with the cams. Very much like a big bore 4 Cyl. super bike with pops and burbles on up and down shifts. There are several very good after market exhausts available for these cars.

Depending on which package(s) you get, touring or sport pack, different things go at different times. my car has both packages and like clock work at 20k miles both the factory Bilsteins and suspension bushings needed to be replaced. (keep in mind I do instruct on track with the car several times a year) But they typically fail then in non-tracked cars as well.

Sport gives you LSS wheels (lightweight sport style wheels) Bilstein suspension, crank windows, no-leather and soft removable top. Touring will give you leather, power windows, hard top, soft top, one of the blaupunkt variants and star shield. Some cars do have both, try to find one of these if possible. (Trust me on this)

I put AST coil-overs in the car to take care of the shock issue. At the same time the steer rack started to develop play and I replaced that with the quick turn rack.

These cars do rattle a bit and there are little things here and there you can tighten or tweak to minimize the rattles but just know they are there.

Aside from that the car ALWAYS puts a smile on my face when I drive it and with 18k miles put on in 3 years, it has been an absolute blast to drive.

Let me know if you have any questions about a specific car and I will be glad to help you with your research.

Cheers!

10. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Thank you. Been doing lots of reading on LotusTalk.

11. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Cool, neat to see a Ferrari next to an Elise / Exige as the size really comes across that way.

Anybody have a pic of a 308 with an Elise / Exige?

That Gt40 kit thread is cool, i am hoping to get a car from Race Car Replicas in Florida one day.

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have an 08 Exige 240S. Miles split about equally between the track and the street. Has some suspension mods, double adjustable coil overs, different seat, Borla exhaust.

The thing (for me) about this car is that when I first test drove them I was not super impressed. However, the more time I've spent in my car the more I appreciate the incredible feedback that is, in fact, better than any other car I've ever driven.

I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions as well (and FWIW, past and current cars include e36 M3, e46 M3, 360, 430, Cayman S, VW GTI, Maser spyder).

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you. I am going to try to look at an 05 tomorrow. Be neat to see and sit in one.

15. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    #41 Flash G, Aug 24, 2012
    This is the closest I have...

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    don't have much to add, I only had mine for six months and wish I hadn't sold it :(

very unique driving experience, but probably not too far off from a 308 (small, light, no power steering, etc) or an Esprit.

I didn't find the car too difficult to get into but getting out could be a real PITA.

if you can swing a supercharged car, do that...the n/a cars are pretty gutless below 6k rpms or so. however,even on the n/a cars once they're wound up they're not slow!

I didn't have any major issues with mine, the Toyota driveline is pretty stout. as with most British cars some curious build quality and electronic quirks, the stereo is awful, and the factory alarm/keyless entry is bizarre. windows tend to not completely insulate the vehicle so you'll get a bit wet on a rainy day (why the English can't get that right is beyond me).

be careful not to damage a clam, they're expensive (rear clams are $8k or so). that can easily total an n/a Elise as those are $20-25k cars now.

if you're going to track the car, I'd recommend doing the oil baffles/motor mounts/gearbox linkage strengthening. LotusTalk will be all over those issues, or check out sector111.com. to be honest you might want to do the shift linkage anyway, that's a real fault in the driving experience IMO (very sloppy Toyota Matrix linkage).

I think every car guy should have an Elise/Exige at some point, really great little cars. happy hunting!

17. DanS*

DanS* Karting

May 29, 2012
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I sold a 2010 ExigeS and bought a Scud.
    They are both very raw, extremely fun cars. Obviously the Lotus is less expensive to buy and maintain. The 2010 and 2011 ExigeS 240 and 260 hp cars are the top of the line and still not expensive.
    Have fun!

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thank you. i saw some of your old posts on LotusTalk, and thought I would bug you for some perspective. :)

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

I think flash is the expert, having owned several for a while :)

20. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Not a 308 but here's my pair. Loved the exige. Was a great track car, just underpowered. Handling was fantastic.[​IMG]

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #47 GuyIncognito, Aug 25, 2012
    wow, damn, that's quite the 1-2 punch there! :eek: :D

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    WOW !

I got to see, sit in and otherwise touch an 05 yellow Elise today. Car is a bit edgy as its been sitting outside its whole life, near the beach. The brakes, wheels, and some of the alloy under panels have surface corrosion and oxidation on them. Car has 10k miles, both tops, AC does not work, no oil change or service records of any kind. No window sticker or documents. Tires are getting dry rot cracks in the sides.

So i did not think this was one to buy. :)

But it was really nice too see and sit in one.

Getting out is a strange experience, that will take some practice to be graceful.

So I am on the hunt for a green, blue or orange 06 or newer. Mods are ok. I like the wings and canards. :)

23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Getting out is an art. Much easier in either version with the top off (yes, the Exige top removes nicely, but it cannot be stored on board).

One point that I don't think has been made is that the Exige has no functional rear window/rear view mirror. If I were buying one a daily/city driver, I think this single fact would swing me in the direction of an Elise.

But the Exige power is addictive (I've driven both Elises and Exiges extensively on the track, and while the Elise is not slouch when driven hard, the Exige is much more "fun" around town).

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks for that info Scotty. If my 88 911 sells, I may step up to an Exige, manly because they seem easier to find in krypton green. StateFarm wants $1434.00 a year, Hagerty wants $634.00 a year to insure me on an Elise. Hagerty has more restrictions, but i doubt i will put 3000 miles on the car in a year. I may get a quote from Grundy as I had my 1990 Esprit insured with them earlier this year.