Elise / Exige Questions? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Elise / Exige Questions?

Discussion in 'British' started by thecarreaper, Aug 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    damn, that's just like my old car!

great color combo IMO :)

that price, even given the low miles, is almost $10k high. good luck! :eek:

2. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Not sure if the price is 10K high but....

$23K-25 for one with normal use. The car does not have any spectacular options.
    Deserves a premium for mileage and condition. But the mileage premium only makes sense if you dont drive it.

Owning an Elise for 3 years now, drive it! Its way more fun if you drive it:)

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yeah, I was thinking it was a bit high too, especially for a 2005. Thanks for the input. Obviously one would expect a bit of a premium for low miles, but not 40% of the value of a typical car!

4. Thanks for posting that. I thought the Toyota engine would be bulletproof. I was jonesing for the orange 2006 Exige on ebay last week.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Great post, thank you for the help. Just chatting with others is helpful.

Im single, cars are my outlet for fun. I rarely sell my guns or guitars, the cars are "fun" and come and go from my life for smiles.

Its very frustrating to sit on cash, and have good deals pop up on 308's, 911's and other cars, only to hold fast and wait till my due diligence is done. Im in my learning curve on these cars. They may have sorted them out after 2007.

Nathan, I am still reading, so i dont have an answer. Going to pm a cam / head guru over there and get some prices from him. If its scary, im done with the idea, and will just buy yet another 308 whatever.

All the crap that is wrong with the way Uraccos and Jalpas are built is why I will never own one of them again. Had two Lotus Esprits now, and they were both full of build issues.

I know some things are not the cars fault, but life to too damn short to sit and wait for parts found, cars to be repaired, to be able to drive and smile about it.

We waste so much time "waiting". The economy of the world, even the solidarity of the USA itself is unclear right now.

Screw that. I want to drive and smile a bit.

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I like the color, been watching that car. Global is a heavy hitter on Lotus-Talk. Seem to have a good reputation.

Im still following my original programming of buying from individuals, which with cars this new and low production is a pain in the ass. i have to pay 8% sales taxes in GA only when buying from a dealer, not a person. So that and shipping starts adding up fast.

That is why I wont usually deal with dealer or brokers.

(8% x $30k ish car + shipping $ = $$$$$$$.)

7. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Thank you sir, great post. :) i am not sure I can get an Exige cash, as they are a bit more than the Elise .

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

I know , Im confused, its like car inflation has taken over on some cars, prices are UP, yet the market is cooled off as many are waiting till after the elections to buy anything big, much less toys.

As we get into winter, its a good time to drive here in the south, and the deals usually pop up from the cold northern states. Kelly nor NADA have values on the Elise. Yet, I know my Credit Union will lend on them, as they chastise me all the time for wiring cash for cars. :)

Guess they want the loans. 4% ish aint bad, but i detest debt and financing toys irks me.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a friend with a supercharged Exige, only use has been on track for 18K miles and no engine or tranny issues whatsoever. He does change the oil after everytrack day.

I am guessing that at tracked lotus with yearly oil changes is going to have cam issues, others not

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I don't like financing either, and honestly don't plan on it, but PenFed's 1.49% is hard to argue against. I keep finding myself thinking about it.

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Guys I've been on LT for years and I race in the LotusCupUSA series. Some of these track cars get seriously abused but I haven't met anyone personally with the cam lobe wear issues. I have read some of the threads, but I think it is over magnified.
    It's like when everyone questions Aston Martin's reliability - I've had two with no issues.
    I would have absolutely no qualms getting an 05 or 06 Elise. These cars are VERY worth the money. And the driving experience is unparalleled.
    Jump on one!

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I only know of one car with cam lobe issues and it resulted in a full engine replacement (paid for by Lotus)

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks guys, looking for a krypton green or orange car on the east coast.

14. I would bet any engine damage is from serious over reving. I have had several Toyotas. Never any engine issues. Really never any issues with anything on a Toyota.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC it was a (small) batch of improperly machined parts. if it was over revving I don't think Lotus would be handing out free engines.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Here's what I know, which isn't much. The cam lobes were improperly hardened. It shouldn't effect every engine, and has been reported in 2008's as well (or one 2008 that I came across). Especially if the engine is not supercharged, it is apparently an easy deal (10-15 minutes) to pull the valve cover and do a visual inspection. Seems like you could just have that as a condition of a pre-purchased inspection. I track my Exige, and there are a lot of Loti in this area on the track, and I had not heard of the problem until this thread. The only thing that would seem to be disturbing is that I have yet to read how to know you are getting a cam without issues, as it is suggested that bad cams are still in the supply lines.

S

17. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    this could be right but my experience when I had a 2006 Elise sport and in the central Forida Lotus club was the cam is lubricated by drip lubrication. Some of the cars had the holes not drilled correctly at the factory. Some cars are okay like mine others are not. I know two owners who had the cam gauling problem and this was the cause. Most people had no problem.

It can be visually checked easily as the gentleman says. I never heard of the cams themselves being bad but any thing is possible.

He made a good suggestion on a prepurchase inspection.

Lee

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Thanks. Sometimes they gall, other times they wipe a lobe, and there are document valve spring failures on the Toyota Matrix, Celica as well as the Lotus cars. So much for "bullet proof", but its good to know the parts and rework are affordable.

From a Lotus expert on Lotus-Talk: (quoted)

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #94 kverges, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    I am told it is improper surface hardening. That sounds right. I have had a new engine have a lobe go flat. If it is a heat treat issue, it should happen promptly and an engine with any mileage to speak of should either have the problem already or never have it

20. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That's what I heard as well. My post wasn't specific enough, and I know there is a difference (overall hardness versus surface hardness). Sorry.

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Crap. Thought i found a car, but......

ok let me add this, super duper hats off salute to the dealer for being honest and up front about the car. I mean that. They seem to want to get rid of the car too.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=98957463&listingRecNum=15&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20071%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21056%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D31401%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DDESC%26sf1Nm%3DmodelYear%26sf2Nm%3Dprice%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

front clam cracked
    rear clam cracked
    AC no worky
    Driver side door lock has lost its mind
    star shield scuffed
    LED side marker broken
    $25981
    :(

22. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Yikes. $25K with all those problems??? Not. Gonna. Happen.

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I know !

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Looking to buy an 06 Elise. I'm at work and unable to post on Lotus-Talk for help. ( firewall )

Looking for a PPI around West Palm Florida.

2 areas of concern are camshaft galling and oil line failure signs.

Thank you.

Michael in Savannah.

25. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a 2006 Elise sport. A wonderful car. Those items plus someone mentioned poorly heat treted and therfeore soft cam shaft. I never saw or heard of that.

I would check and be sure of the electrics. The Air conditioner does not work well with out a modest modification Without this you only get cool air for under 300 minutes then the condenser fresses up.

Get a sport model if you can find one. Make sure you get the top. Since most are tracked I would have the car checked for wear and tear. When you drive it at 6500 rpm the car explodes in power if ot does not there is an elec problem. Check for cracks on the mags. If they hit a bump fast they can crack and must be replaced. This is very rare. early ferraris had the same problem and they were really expensive to replace

Good luck. if you get a good car you will love it. I would also call a dealership to be sure they can still get parts. Lotus is having some corporate problems and the US government only requires 15 years of parts after the last car is built.

Lee