Elise / Exige Questions? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Elise / Exige Questions?

Discussion in 'British' started by thecarreaper, Aug 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Jesus Kieth, i dont keep anything but guns and guitars over 2 years so you got me there.

Ill get one, soon, but like I said to you before: read this thread. I want an east coast car owned by a person, with no accident history in blue or green. I dont want to add $2500 in shipping, I dont want to pay 8% GA sales tax buying from a dealer. I sold my 308, my green Lotus esprit, my truck and have room for 3 cars and cash to spare. I still have a 911 and an F150.

Got it?

I appreciate your perspective as an owner, and self fixer-upper. Stop busting my balls, ill buy when the time is right.

See the orange car on the west coast on Lotus talk for $25k that's not sold? See the dark green car on the west coast for $27k that's still not sold? Im not the only one being careful in shopping.

The camshaft failure threads worry me, like buying a TR and having the trans axle worry you, but the Lotus is cheaper. I am way on the fence about buying 05-06 car with a super duper charger or added turbo. Modded cars are usually a pain in the ass to keep up, especially when someone else put them together.

Looking at the views and replies in this thread i say im not the only one with an interest in these little cars. Im 5 foot nothing and 100 nothing so i fit in anything. :)

Find me a krypton green car on the east coast since you want to spend my money so bad. ps the guy in FLA wont sell his , his thread on lotus Talk is old and i have spoken to him already.

cheers.

2. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    +1 great post, ive track a few S2 elises, turbo elise, S1 exige sport, opel speedster etc.... your description is spot on.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I bust balls. It's my job. Keep me posted on the search for Heidi Klum with a phd next door in lingerie and who wants you and hates foreplay. I mean KG Elise in perfect shape cheap and east coast and your purchase of this unicorn

4. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    This car is not for everyone.

I've seen a ton of people buy them thinking "cool", and then want to sell them within 6 months.

I wouldn't use it as a daily driver. It's hot. It's cold. It's cramped. The suspension will knock your fillings out. The radio is just dead weight. Everything rattles, buzzes, vibrates and sounds like it's going to come apart. The small storage in the trunk will melt stuff you put in there. The clams (front and rear) are VERY expensive to fix and are VERY fragile. You will scrape the nose on the slightest incline. A small fender bender front and rear can cause your insurance company to write off the car. The soft-top leaks. The shift linkage is weak. And (I'm 6'2'') if you're tall, getting in and out of North Korea is easier than getting in and out of this car.

With all that being said though - if you are a driving enthusiast... If you love a car that feels like the steering is wired into your brain and gives you more feedback than any other car on the road... the Elise & Exige are it.

I have both... and they are the best *drivers* cars I've ever owned. Period.

5. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    meh, I find cars, its what I DO. Found owned sold rare muscle cars cars when I was young, found a push button Pantera that was "lost" and helped resurrect it to the world ( buy selling it !) euro Uracco, series one gt4, 208 GT4, very early GTB *20433*. Blah blah.

You do have a good point, I do want a hard to find one, as that's the only way ill keep it more than 90 days . :) Cars are stoopid anyway. I have more $$$ tied up in belt fed weapons and guitars.

Thanks for the motivation, something will turn up this winter, always does. :)

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    do you regret selling the green Esprit over the summer? the time spent looking for an Elise could have been spent bringing that thing back to life :eek:

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Might as well chime in here.......

I bought a 2005 Graphite Grey from MidRivers in STL (may they rest in peace) and drove it back home on I-70. I never got so many thumbs up from any other car I have owned. Kept the car for a little over a year when I got my Z06. Car was perfect when I sold it except for some windshield chips. These cars collect windshield chips like crazy since every stone on a highway has a great chance of hitting its low profile windshield.

Flash G pretty much summed it up - its like a cranky wife who is a great cook and fun in bed. When its fun, its really fun but when its not, I would much prefer another car. Going right into a Z06, I can truthfully say that the Elise was more fun but just not practical enough.

I have casually looked for another Elise recently and have had the same experience Reaper is having - these cars have been modded or crunched and the good ones have kept their value.

Good luck with the search.

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    NO more tax free Casual car sales.

March 1 2013, Next year we will have to pay 7% taxes on used cars bought from anyone anywhere. Right now we do not pay sales tax on cars purchased from an individual in or out of State. Cars purchased from dealers in or out of State requires sales tax. So this means there is no advantage to buying a 911, 308 or Lotus for me from an individual, unless they have the car priced properly. Adding the shipping and taxes is going to change what people are buying.

I think i am going to really stick with guns and guitars.

Cars are no fun anymore, even old ones.

http://www.gscpa.org/Content/22789.aspx

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Pick one up yet?
    I'm picking up my 3rd Lotus...just found a track prepped Elise which I'm gonna race in LotusCup next year.
    Once you go Lotus, you always go back!

10. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    My sense is the OP has been careful and unemotional enough to get smokin' deals on the buy side and able to sell at a good enough price so his cars don't cost much and the new tax laws put an automatic 7% risk into every purchase.

I paid full retail for My Lotus and it's probably worth maybe $15-20K less, not even counting cost of ownership. But over 8 years, $15-20K does not seem too bad for the experience. I think you could do much better buying used and holding. I don't see any Elise going under $20K and well cared for more like $25K minimum, so if you paid $35K for one and held it, not so bad.

But if you need to flip the car right away, yeah, a Lotus stands to cost you a few thousand to own for 6 months, what with sales tax and the fact that they can be as hard to sell as buy, esp. if you want top dollar.

You need to want it more irrationally than I think the OP wants one. Smart guy.

11. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Want one, have cash, but man I really want krypton green. :(

Have a bite on my 88 911, may get rid of it and get a 308, an Elise and a 70-73 Camaro before the 7% law hits next March.

:)

Never had to pay "taxes" before, just Ad-velor-um and $18 title fee.

ps: not looking to quick sell any more cars. Too many headaches.

Need a few keepers, maybe even find a woman I can stand to keep too. :)

12. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Now there is a worthwhile challenge... and one that will make finding an Elise easy :)

(found one some years ago while working on a remote desert site - amazing really - still have her too :))

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    How did you find a keeper in the desert?

... in an old magic bottle that you had to rub ? :)

14. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ... and rub and rub and rub!

15. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did get very lucky :)

Always helps ;)

16. evilfij

evilfij Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Main Line, PA
    Nothing much to add that hasn't been said but I wanted to relay my own experience. I had an autumn gold 06 Elise which I put 35k on as my daily driver -- I even put on snow tires for winter. It suffered an unfortunate demise after I replaced the motor due to a second faulty oil cooler line. I missed it dearly. I never tracked it and treated it like the Toyota corolla it is. Last year I found its replacement--an exige s which, other than not having a functional rear window, is way easier to drive. The Elise you had to ring it's neck to go fast (second cam and all) the exige with the blower you can cruise in 6th and accelerate quickly enough. I am not DDing the exige, but even at 6'2" 240lbs it is tolerable as a DD.

17. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I had an '07 Exige S that I ended up trading for my current 355. Many things about the Lotus I still miss and I would be lying if I said I don't sometimes think on going back...

The steering is like nothing else.

Despite any on-line chatter, the driveline is very robust, and compared to the Ferrari world, cheap. A gearbox is like $1800 new.

I used it as a daily driver. I bought an Elise soft top and used that most of the time. I loved that you could park it outside without worry of the sun beating up the interior - there is nothing to beat up! It is tough to get out of with the top on, but it's simply more incentive to stay in shape.

I replaced the mirrors with small carbon convex mirrors and had no issues with the rear view.

The supercharged motor sounds better than the NA, because you hear the whine which ads some depth and complexity.

The torque of the SC cars is also much better (they come on cam sooner too) and is really nice on the road.

I had not more trouble with tires than any other sports car.

There are lots of fun little mods - like stiffening the shifter mount - that make it even better for almost zero money.

It's an easy easy DIY car, as you can get the full shop manuals that tell you everything you'd ever want to know, right down to track set up. Getting it on a lift is a pain because you have to take most of the rear undertray off before you can get to the lift points.

All in all just a great great car. One of my favorites, and it would be my hands down pick as a dual duty track/street car. Only negative is that dealer network is spotty, but if you aren't afraid to work on it by yourself, it really won't matter.

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  19. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I still have my Exige S and don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it. There is no other car like it and likely never will be for street use. J. Salmon mentioned a problem with left points that can be remedied with after market parts that allow you to lift the car with no problems.

Can't recommend the car highly enough: Very inexpensive, extremely reliable and a real blast to drive.

20. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Wow, 10,000 views. Someone like this thread :)

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    buy a damn car already!

:p

22. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He's waiting for you to buy the damn Ferrari. ;)

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    oh man this thread will have 1mm views by then :p

24. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Dont take this the wrong way, but I want a krypton green car or no Elise at all? Get it? i am only adding this for the dickhead in this thread that kept calling me out on buying one. There have been no krypton cars for sale for some time. That is what i want, and i wont look at any of the others.

Got it? :)

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Ive had 8 Ferrari's . Bored with them now... :cool: :)