Elise keeping up with F40 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Elise keeping up with F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by F SPIDER, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Garetto,

I was actually wondering if it wasn't an Exige, since the mirror is different from my Elise. But, maybe it is just a series one, if the tape is from some years ago. Still, that is why I rated it at 200hp. I doubt if any tweaked Elise will do much more.

Rijk

2. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Alex,
    You make some interesting points. Whenever I am asked what is the best improvement I can do to my car by someone, I tell them "Go to a driving school"

As far as the the "risky moves" comments goes, I believe these guys were making a video of the F40 and the other drivers knew it. I also think the F40 driver was braking real early to let the other car catch up because they were trying to make a video. Then again, maybe not. It sure would have been fun to be in either car.

Really great video. Thanks for posting.
    Rick

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    How could you interpret that video as anything but an F40 kicking the s@!* out of everything else. If you notice the only time the elise gains ground is when there is traffic. Even at the end of turns when the Elise should be carrying more speed, the Ferrari is pulling away.Had there not been traffic, the elise would have been killed.You are also comparing a Ferrari built in 88 to a modern elise. Compare it to an F50 and then an Enzo and you will see what Ferrari is made of. I am sure a 288GTO could beat it around the track also.

4. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Honestly I think you're not very objective there. Notice how the F40 cannot gain ground in the famous Monthlery leveled curve where it is driving much higher than the Lotus? There's no traffic there. Granted it travels a bit of a longer distance as the curve's radius is bigger but still.
    Many have said the F40 is taking it easy or its driver is not up to the task or not taking chances and I accept those as possible explanations. But still objectively the Lotus is very close after 2 laps...

5. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    You will notice that the elise only gains right before a curve, because it brakes late, and in traffic. The F40 actually carries as much speed or more through each curve. He would have been trounced had there been no traffic.

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    More interesting in that video, was why were those two going so much fatser than everyone else. There looked to be a couple of race prepped 355s and they are not slow around the track. There was A TT porsche or two. Strange. Stock F40s are not that much faster than challenge 355s around tracks like that one. I have seen many videos where they can hold there ground ok. Take into acount that most challnge cars have race tires on them and are driven by experienced drivers and that does not make sense that they could be beaten by an elise. F40 yes, but not elise.

7. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    The Elise was a motorsport 190 version. Quick acceleration but no torque, that's the only downfall with the Elise (including the new Toyota 189bhp engine) is the lack of torque. 50-70 in 5th gear (or even 4th gear) takes forever !!

8. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have seen an Lotus Exige at Road Atlanta that was capable of keeping up with basically EVERYTHING at a street car track day event, although it was pulled hard on the straights by the stronger cars. Light weight is magical, then again remember the Elise/Exige type cars are made for road racing, they are virtually go karts!!

And of course, driver means everything. Most drivers of $300K supercars couldn't bear to lose it, someone in a stripped out go kart may not care as much.........