Ellena Dilemma | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ellena Dilemma

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 328dgtb, May 19, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #101 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of the Pinin Farina swatch from the 330 GT site that shows Verde Bottiglia Max Mayer 16.364. Note it's the only green on the swatch and is a very close match to the panel from 0817GT. Also note that the swatch is titled Pinin Farina rather than Pininfarina so it is in period being before their name change to one word in the early sixties.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #102 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
    The car is now a lot closer to original, in addition to finding the original engine the following work has now been done:
    The incorrect oil pressure gauge and time clock have been replaced with correct items.
    The incorrect (250 GTE) brake reservoir bottle has been replaced with the correct item.
    A correct ashtray has been found and installed (original was missing).
    The ignition barrel has been relocated back to its correct place (it was in place of the missing choke knob).
    The missing choke cable and knob have been re-instated.
    The incorrect hood lever has been replaced with the correct item.
    One of the window winder knobs was incorrect so it's been replaced with the correct item.
    I have the correct and very rare SIEM rear lights units, the correct Carrello circular rear reflectors and the correct trunk-lid badge ready to fit once the body work has been carried out.
    The bright trim that runs down the side of the car has been repaired as it had a screw hole drilled in it.
    We have replaced the incorrect front sidelights with correct LEART items.
    The front grill has been fully dismantled and is in the process of being repaired and will then be re-chromed and reassembled.
    The front bumper had two holes in it for some after market over-riders, the holes have been welded up and the bumper re-chromed.
    Correct Marchal 660 Fantastics have been sourced and restored

David

3. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #103 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
  4. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #104 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
  5. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #105 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
  6. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #106 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
  7. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #107 328dgtb, Mar 16, 2014
  8. LarrySansbury

LarrySansbury Rookie

Aug 11, 2014
    David, I once owned 0819, a Boano/Ellena. A friend of mine, Russ Johnson, and did a ground up restoration. We sold it in 1989. That was before the internet! You guys are spoiled. LOL. Anyway, I can comment on some of the items you've mentioned as to correctness, as I believe (remember) our cars were built in a group of 6. Here goes.
    1. From the build sheets, 0819 was finished on 2/5/58.
    2. 0819 has one distributor. We had so much trouble with cross firing, that we did a modification to use a 365 GTC (?) cap and rotor.
    3. 0819 has one brake reservoir like in your picture.
    4. No hood scoop, but it seems like some Boano did?
    5. Gas filler in the trunk.
    6. Our tail lights were like the ones that you found. Way back in the 70s I saw a low roof with those same lights like your car was restored with. That makes me wonder if they could have been correct.
    7. 0819 did not have lights on the fenders.
    Our car ended up at Classiche in 2008 for some work, and it passed! It then sold at the RM auction. You can find pictures on their website. The funny thing is that the headlight rings were from a '53 Ford F100!!!. We were 2 guys with limited funds and could not afford the correct rings/buckets. Russ did an awesome job making those Ford rings work. We figured that we were not ruining the integrity of the car - as the rich guy who was going to own it could afford the right ones. But, that is not the case- those Ford rings have been on the from 1989 to 2008 at least! LOL Hope this is of some help. Larry

9. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    #109 328dgtb, Aug 15, 2014

Thanks for that Larry, I am familiar with 0819GT.

Luckily the original headlamp rings for my car were still in the stores at DK Engineering, David Cottingham kindly dug them out and had them restored for me.

I also have a freshly restored pair of Marchal TP485 headlights which will be fitted to the car shortly along with the restored rings. Funnily enough I was at the Classiche department at the factory last year and was shown pics of 0819GT as an example of a correct high-roof Ellena, I noticed the incorrect rings at the time but I didn't say anything the Classiche people out of politeness!

I'm still undecided whether to return the hood scoop, tail lights and external fuel filler to standard as they are very probably period modifications and therefore part of the car's history. The dilemma continues!

The original engine rebuild is nearing completion so at least the car will be back to full matching numbers in the next few weeks (engine/gearbox/differential).

Here are a few pics of 0817GT this week. along with the restored lights and rings

David

10. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    #110 johngtc, Aug 15, 2014
  11. 328dgtb

328dgtb Formula Junior

May 12, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David Goodwin
    Thanks John,

It was a great day, and good to meet you. Your GTC is very nice too!

David

12. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hi david the story continues your car looks great in that colour combo the best I have seen looked for you at coombe abbey. I came stayed a few hours got soaked. Then back in the car over the weekend 800 miles in the old 330gt. I see you found Juergen are you coming to Hugh james BBQ another flight one extreme to the other eh

Sean