Elring head gasket height | FerrariChat

Elring head gasket height

Discussion in '308/328' started by derekw, Aug 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Does anyone know the compressed height (thickness) of the Elring head gaskets? I'm doing a final check of clearances and am using my old head gaskets but the new Elrings may be thinner/thicker. Thanks, derek

2. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    The new Elrings don't compress. They changed the materials they are composed of some time ago, and if you have liner protrusion that is within spec they WILL NOT seal. There are many other threads that discuss this issue.

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Michael, what is the consensus (or suggestions) for sealing the water passages? Perhaps Permatex 518, Motoseal, or copper RTV? Maybe tighten a little, leave overnight and then torque down a few times over 2 days?

4. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    Is this model specific or across the board? Is it as simple as identifying a set of gasket made in Germany to see if they are useful, or a production date?

What are the alternatives if any?

Thanks

David

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Ok, so my Elring fire rings are .050" thick so if they don't compress at all I can assume the heads will push down on the sleeves sufficiently to compress the bottom o-rings enough to seat the top of the sleeves on their steps so if I remove the o-rings and get the tiny squish area of my pistons (the outer 1mm of the flat outer edge) to be .005" proud of the sleeve, I should have .045@ squish. I will take a little more off next to the valve pockets due to piston rock. Am I forgetting something? What sealant around the jackets? I saw a couple of posts suggesting no sealant but torquing and retorquing a few times (incl. after a few heat cycles.)