Elring Head Gasket Problem | FerrariChat

Elring Head Gasket Problem

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Dec 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    So I am already to reinstall my heads and the hole is too small that goes over the oil feed /restrictor dowel that stands proud of the block. The hole is 9.57 mm and the restrictor is 9.97mm. No way it will go on without messing up the gasket. Has anyone ran into this problem? They are the later style gasket with the printed red seal. Bought these years ago. I could Dremel the hole bigger but I am not real hot on that idea.

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Numbers are a little off as I posted and then took the pictures but the difference between the hole and the dowel is large.

4. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    That's just a dowel, right? Not an oil passage? Can't see how opening the hole would hurt.

Rebuilding a 930 motor right now. The new parts such as rings, bearing,etc all seem looser/less accurate compared to the original Porsche stuff. Had to actually order a lot of parts from Porsche, to get the right fitment, even though the manufacturer is the same...

5. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Kevin, the hole in your gasket actually looks bigger in diameter than mine. Yours runs close to the sealant whereas mine has a noticeable gap. Trying to install mine flaked the gasket material a little and that is with me being super careful. There is metal sheet sandwiched between the fibrous material and I would have to think it would deform a good bit going over that restrictor/dowel. I am running over to T-Rutland on Monday to compare my gaskets to more current Elring production. I don't see anyway this could be anything other than a production error. I bought these years ago but they are still new in the package. I am holding my breath waiting for a reply from Elring. :)

7. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK

8. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I use reinz head gaskets and these have a 10.6mm hole with a copper sealing ring.
    You can probably just enlarge the hole with a 10mm punch.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I may try the punch on my gasket just for fun. It is flaked around that hole so I won't use it anyway.

10. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Wow! Heard back directly from Elring this morning and it seems they may send me replacment head gaskets. Fingers crossed!

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Elring's product support is very good so fingers crossed for you, check you don't have the fiat dino 2.0 head gaskets, I seem to recall some variation (apart from the bore dia 86mm against 92.5mm) and this may be one of them.

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Using a punch to open up the hole is going to deform the surface of the gasket around the hole. I would use a die grinder with a small cylindrical shaped stone to carefully open up the hole to the right diameter. As long as the gasket doesn't delaminate and you don't damage the sealing surfaces around the area of the hole, then it should work just fine.

13. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Elring has been pretty responsive to the problem. A couple of the stud holes are off enough to bind. Way too much work involved in replacing head gaskets to take a chance on an iffy gasket. We will see if Elring replaces my three sets of gaskets all with the same problem.

14. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Elring came through on replacing the head gaskets. Very nice folks to deal with. The gaskets I received have a slightly tacky film of sealant over the whole gasket. Maybe they have been this way for a while but it is new to me. Looks like a good idea.