Elton is becoming the new Alonso...in terms of BS i mean ! | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Elton is becoming the new Alonso...in terms of BS i mean !

Discussion in 'F1' started by furoni, Oct 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #226 lorenzobandini, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Please elaborate. This explanation has got to be very interesting.
    Anyone, on any grid (I think rather assuredly) would disagree.
    (BTW, Mercedes was not a championship winning team before (4th, 4th, and 5th WCCs) Lewis joined in '13.)

ktu and Mark(study) like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    But even if they don't win championships, Ferrari is NEVER a second rate team, are they?
    They are always there near the top, they are not Manor or Caterham, are they?
    They have been in this championship since 1950, they have huge technical facilities, experience dstaff, and endless financial resources.
    It's a team with huge potential that can never be compared to the minnows.

3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Mercedes hadn't won in a long time until Hamilton joined as well, Renault hadn't won until Alonso came etc etc

william likes this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I advise you to research, Ferrari was one of the top 3 teams before Schumi came and won races and podiums before Schumi came, Ferrari was never a midpack team. I have not seen Senna or Schumi beat a world champion in their rookie year as Hamilton did. Shumi never even competed with a champion team mate. But they are still great. Ham has his own stats to be a great, every champion does it differently. By the way, the car Ham beat Alonso in and won his first championship in, did not "drive its self"

william likes this.
  5. Outrun

Outrun Karting

This is what Ricciardo is hoping for at Renault. There's quite a lot of examples of "big" drivers coming in at the right moment and helping push at team from midfield to the front of the grid. The trick is not to go too early and suffer through years of development only to hand the progression to the next guy to take the silverware.

Doesn't matter how much you anyone does or doesn't like Hamilton's media persona, the stats show that he is amongst the best ever. I find him a bit shallow myself, it's hard to appreciate who thinks that eating vegan and driving electric does anything other that scratch the carbon emissions associated with him. I'd prefer if he read up on the important modern issues and made realistic statements. It's all smoke and mirrors, look at ForumlaE and then sneak behind the pits to find the rows of diesel generators keeping the whole charade going....

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Hamilton makes very few mistakes driving! Can't be said about his statements and ego. One thing I believe about his record number of titles. The Mercedes was an unbeatable racing car and team. So that will always be a factor.

william and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Mclaren/Senna was ubeatable, Ferrari/Schumi was unbeatable etc

william likes this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Shumi developed the Ferrari into its winning form, Senna was incredible. Today's silly rules and winning by pit and tire strategy, and ban on testing! Totally different form of hand tied so called racing. Driving around saving fuel etc. is not good racing IMHO!

stavura, william and classic308 like this.
  9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    The Ferrari was winning races before Schumi came. Rules are always changing, all a driver can do is dominate in their era, if Senna or Schumi had to deal with Fangio's rules they may have given up

william likes this.
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Do you believe some of today's drivers would be racing if it was as dangerous as it was years ago?

11. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    No, driver's after Fangio had it easier, thankfully F1 evolved

12. Outrun

Outrun Karting

It's odd how so many things, including sports, take on a rose-tinted hue as time passes. It's an eternal debate, who was the best from any era in any area. Was Senna the best or would Fangio have beaten him? How would Schumi and Hamilton do as team mates in a current Merc or Schumi era Ferrari? Was Mohammed Ali the Greatest or would Tyson at peak shown him the door? How many goals would Pele have scored in the modern game? Would Jerry Rice have been able to take on the level of athleticism in the current NFL and still score for fun? Best is teams, would the Manchester United team of 1999 beat the current Manchester City or Liverpool side? Would the 1985 Superbowl Shuffle Bears or mid-90s Cowboys beat the current Patriots side? The list is endless and the debate impossinle to resolve.

Hamilton is a twit but he's certainly a very talented twit, that's undeniable.

13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The best teams are attracted to the best drivers. Schumacher and Ferrari comes to mind.

william, I'm 360 Canuck and ktu like this.
  14. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Impossible to answer, but I'll go with yes. For those who love it, the attraction is like a drug.

It's still a very,very dangerous sport in spite of the improvements in safety.

william likes this.
  15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In the old days, some drivers were attracted by the danger around motor racing.
    It may have been the glamour of doing something terribly risky, or the gladiatorial atmosphere.
    They liked the thrills, the challenge of measuring their fear against the odds of getting seriously injured, or worse killed
    Some have spoken since to deplore how safe motor racing has become since; Stirling Moss comes to mind.

16. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Yes Mercedes did not win a championship before 2013, however they were winning. Talk about how Hamilton beat Alonso in his first year, the same happened to Riccardo beating Vettel his first year at Redbull. What about after 2008 when Hamilton won his Championship? He had ok drivers as teammates, Heike and Button. Didn't Button beat Lewis in 2011 finishing second in the championship?

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They won ONE GP in 3 years before Hamilton joined the team. That was Rosberg.

Mark(study) and ktu like this.
  18. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    No Mercedes driver had won the WDC since 1955 and HAM joined in 2013 ;-)

Mark(study) and ktu like this.
  19. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    McLaren Mercedes?

20. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Happy I can't read the posts from the numerous 'ignored members' in this thread ! :D
    Apart from that, even if Louise would crush 3 x Schumi's records, I still believe he doesn't deserve 1 mm of space on this website. After all, this place is called Ferrarichat, right?

375+, stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    No Mercedes driver had won the WDC since 1955 and HAM joined in 2013 .

Mercedes and McLaren are 2 distinct teams, rivals in fact

ktu likes this.
  22. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Interesting, I thought Mercedes had 40 percent ownership in McLaren and caused them to split because a proposed buyout of McLaren and refused it.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It may have been so, but Mercedes and McLaren were 2 different teams, and any success enjoyed by one cannot be attributed to the other.

24. #249 lorenzobandini, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Sorry, I guess you misunderstood. I emboldened and underlined the sentence I needed explaining. "The cars today pretty much drive themselves.". (My goof. 'Shoulda' just deleted the rest.:oops:)

As for the above....as William stated, Mercedes (the team, not just it's engines) won one race prior to LH's arrival, they weren't "winning" any more than that. BTW, there are more than 4 teams (Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault, Honda) in F1. Hell, there were an awful lot of cars on Team Cosworth back in it's hayday, no? Damn near the whole field! I wonder what all those other names were.....:rolleyes:
    A powerplant supplier does not a team make. "Teams" are defined by the chassis constructors. ;)

edit: I own shares of a number of companies...I wouldn't dare think of calling the "teams" (companies) mine.

ktu and william like this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    lorenzobandini likes this.