Emissions measurement question | FerrariChat

Emissions measurement question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #1 moysiuan, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    My 1988 3.2 Mondial Cab (KE3 injection) will be required to undergo emmisions testing every two years forever more under the rules in Ontario (only 1987 and earlier cars are exempt). I have always passed without issue, and expect to again as I get the test done in the next while.

But here is the question. The manual says to set the mixture, with the O2 sensor blocked by removing a fuse, then attaching a probe to a collector of the exhaust from all the small pipes on the exhaust manifold. The spec CO measurement is 0.7% , HC <200ppm at idle. So a pre cat measure without the lambda influence is how you get the correct mixture.

The actual etest is simply done by the sniffer wand poked into the exhaust pipe. The readings the emissions computer says is within spec is CO < 1% and HC <200ppm. (measured at 2,500 and idle rpms). My last test was CO 0.01% and HC of 13ppm (CO same at 2,500, HC of 111).

My question is whether the e test measuring after the cat, with the lambda should show any emissions (or presumably something different than a pre cat no lambda measure). The car is a bit rich at the tailpipe, would this imply I could further optimize the mixture doing the factory mixture setting procedure? I presume the lambda can compensate for some mixture variation, but I would interested to know what the tailpipe standard is in other e test jurisdcitions for this car, or more generally if there is actually any diagnostic benefit of a tailpipe test beyond the government compliance requirement.

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    If you just want to know where you're at as far as air/fuel mixture goes, you can hook up a digital gauge to test it. You would be temporarily swapping the original O2 sensor for the wideband unit that comes with the gauge. This unit also allows data logging for different driving conditions. The best ratio for emissions is 14.7 to 1.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-3837-Motorsports-LM-2-Basic-Tuning-Wide-Band-Oxygen-Sensor-O2/182914794738?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thankfully, there are no emission tests where I live. I have the cat, O2 sensor, and FV all disconnected. Full throttle enrichment is with a vacuum WUR from a '77 911 , setup for 12.5 to 1. She goes like a raped ape.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That looks like a useful piece of equipment. Sounds like being a bit rich is the best way to full ape capability.

Just in, my provincial politician announced they are eliminating Drive Clean for passenger cars! Will focus on commercial vehicles only.