Empathic or Empathetic? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Empathic or Empathetic?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Aircon, Aug 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    and

/ənd,(ə)n,and/

conjunction

conjunction: and

used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences, that are to be taken jointly.
    "bread and butter"

synonyms: together with, along with, with, as well as, in addition to, including, also, too; More
    besides, furthermore, moreover;

informalplus, what's more

•used to connect two clauses when the second refers to something that happens after the first.
    "he turned round and walked out"

•used to connect two clauses, the second of which refers to something that results from the first.
    "there was a flash flood and by the next morning the town was under water"

•connecting two identical comparatives, to emphasize a progressive change.
    "getting better and better"

•connecting two identical words, implying great duration or great extent.
    "I cried and cried"

•used to connect two identical words to indicate that things of the same name or class have different qualities.
    "all human conduct is determined or caused—but there are causes and causes"

•used to connect two numbers to indicate that they are being added together.
    "six and four makes ten"

•archaic
    used to connect two numbers, implying succession.
    "a line of men marching two and two"

used to introduce an additional comment or interjection.
    "if it came to a choice—and this was the worst thing—she would turn her back on her parents"

•used to introduce a question in connection with what someone else has just said.
    "‘I found the letter in her bag.’ ‘And did you steam it open?’"

•used to introduce a statement about a new topic.
    "and now to the dessert"

informal
    used after some verbs and before another verb to indicate intention, instead of ‘to’.
    "I would try and do what he said"

noun

noun: AND; plural noun: ANDs

Electronics
    a Boolean operator which gives the value one if and only if all the operands are one, and otherwise has a value of zero.

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  3. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    "Inquire" into something where opposing arguments are likely (such as Government inquiries)

"Enquire" for some known fact (ie enquire about the bus timetable)

:) I love English! I reckon any foreigner who manages a decent standard deserves a medal...

4. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    These are two spellings of the same word, which means to seek information about something or to conduct a formal investigation (usually when followed by “into”). The corresponding noun is*enquiry*or*inquiry.

Either spelling can be used, but many people prefer*enquire*and*enquiry*for the general sense of “ask”, and*inquire*and*inquiry*for a formal investigation:

I*enquired*his nameThe first*enquiry*in my inbox today was about lost property.We are going to*inquire*into the incident.The lawyers asked when the*inquiry*will be completed.

In practice,*enquire*and*enquiry*are more common in British English, and*inquire*and*inquiry*are more common in US English, for both informal questions and formal investigations. However, the Guardian (a British newspaper) tells writers to*“use*inquiry”*and the Oxford English Dictionary seems to recognise*inquire*as the more dominant form, deeming*enquiry: