Enclosed Transport | FerrariChat

Enclosed Transport

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Oct 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just a heads up FerrariChat and Motorsport Network just got screwed on a transport deal by a long time sponsor and then a major transporter for Ferrari. Intercity and Dave Wilson have been great over the years as longtime sponsors and helping with some personal transports. Months ago I reached out to Dave about our Miami event October 24-28th in Miami needing a couple trucks from Dallas and then help with other cars from around the country. He said he could help us and quoted the job. We were in, I offered to pay for my cars and then get the entrants to call in to pay theirs. Dave handed me off to Dean Wilson and that's where things went South. I tried to get everything settled before they all went to Pebble checking in a couple times. Dean said he would handle before Pebble, but didn't get it done. Once Dean got back from Pebble we again caught up and I was just trying to get this settled. Dean first confirmed everything OK, but after some time he started backing out. I said we had a deal and all depending on them for months and the rate they quoted and confirmed. Dean said he simply couldn't do it, but then handed us off to Bob Zak at Horseless Carriage. Bob said he could take care of us, but quoted $500 more per car than Intercity originally confirmed. We were backed into a corner and had no choice this late in the game. Bob was slow responding to us, but then eventually after another week or more went by he then backed out of the entire deal! So here we had two major transport companies back out after quoting and leading us on. Intercity lead us on for months, luckily Horseless Carriage just minimized the screwing to a couple weeks lost.

Simply, what is wrong with these two companies they quote out a deal confirming everything, then back out for whatever their business convenience reasons while we get stuck with the headaches and extra costs booking this last minute with someone else.

Luckily Steve Fordham at Boardwalk Ferrari (SAFE4NOW) came through in a big way recommending Nate at TOTALCAREtrans. Within 12 hours we had a fair quote from Nate and he accepted our deposit right away. I talked to Nate on the phone for awhile and he's so excited to help us out and also work with FerrariChat, other Miami Event needs, and the Motorsport Network. I don't think Intercity or Horseless Carriage even considered the negative impact they would have beyond just the couple dozen cars we needed help with for this event. We are planning more and larger events in the future and Motorsport Network is a huge company now with many players bigger than just us involved.

Looking for transport, please give Nate a try and be sure to say you heard about him on FerrariChat!

[email protected]
    816-326-7290
    https://totalcaretrans.com/

Midnight Oil, SAFE4NOW, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow.....Intercity has always been my go to transport company.....surprised to hear this story and kudos to Nate for stepping up....there's no better marketing than this!

SAFE4NOW, Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wow , what Intercity did was unconscionable. I can’t stand people who’s word is no good. Thanks to Steve and Nate for handling a lousy situation. Best , Kirk

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you know, no signed contract and they wouldn't accept payment, but that's low to drag me on for that many weeks and then back out. Nate was stand up had the deal agreed and deposit paid within 8 hours.

why would both companies back out of a full truck plus several other cars? I would never guess it to be politics with other events. I know we have run into other vicious politics and back stabbing in Southern Florida because we're doing an event.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That’s a real shame.

Intercity was my go-to also.

Very disappointing.

Matt

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Rob , in my business there are no signed contracts, only your “word”. It’s been that way forever and works. Even if I misquote , pay too much , make a mistake a verbal deal is a deal in my world. Best , Kirk.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that would be my expectation, guess I was wrong. I'm just putting the facts out there, others can decide how much they wronged me or not.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is quite surprising. very glad you got it sorted tho.
    steve fordham comes through again!

SAFE4NOW and rob lay like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sadly, there are fewer and fewer of you.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Cigarzman and rob lay like this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i either using reliable or alex @ rising star transport - if alex cant do it he finds another trucker buddy that can..

i booked passport for a car i bought of BaT couple months ago that was out west. i still havent heard on a pick up date.....

(car is in the warehouse here) ;)

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Did either company give you a reason for backing out?

D

12. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Hi guys,

Not that it helps you getting out to the Miami event but we will have a few cars and my truck out in Washington DC for a Mille Miglia event on October 24 thru 27/28 and will be heading back to LA with 2 open spots if anyone needs help coming back west.

Craig

rob lay likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, both out of nowhere within days of confirming everything OK said same thing "we can't help you". no explanations why and they weren't even that nice or apologetic, first time I went back to Dean and said you can't do us like this and that's when he reached out to Horseless Carriage.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You know, it's not paranoia if somebody is out to get you.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Hi Guys,

Just got my 640LP picked up ON TIME this Tuesday in Costa Mesa by https://jplogistics.net/

Its arriving next Tuesday or Wednesday to me in Fl. Rate was great as well. I will let you know how it goes on the delivery end. As an FYI Lamborghini NPB uses them exclusively.

Might want to give them a call if you need transport.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow that's unfortunate. Thanks for the heads-up.

17. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    I found this thread last week. I gave Nate a call on Thursday Feb 23 and my car was delivered today Feb 27! Cedar Rapids to Houston. Super fast shipping, great driver that kept me updated. Very fair priced.

Could not be more happy! Well done Nate and crew!

Gabmar likes this.
  18. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Thanks for the heads up Rob!
    Looking to transport a TR from California to midwest, Now I will give Nate a try instead.

Word of mouth is still king.

19. Reacherman1022

Reacherman1022 Karting

Dec 13, 2016
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Jack Reacher
    Guys, I used to use Pilot to transport Ferraris and BMW from LA to Detroit and back. Absolutely terrific to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app