Engine Control System Failure | FerrariChat

Engine Control System Failure

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by California987, Jul 24, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    #1 California987, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Ok, so I was driving around peacefully enjoying my beloved Cali when out of nowhere I get this "Engine Control System Failure" warning msg, a minute later I get the Gearbox Failure warning sign.
    I hope it's not another gearbox failure issue... Will take it to the dealer today and i'll keep you guys posted.

One more thing that I would like to add, after I got the second warning msg the car started doing all sorts of weird stuff like downshifting by it's own and watching the RPM gaude jumping from 3k to over 5k and back to 3k again

2010 Ferrari California
    5000 mi (took delivery a year ago)

2. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    The only time i observed this on our new california was when it had been sitting unplugged in the garage for 5-7 days and then started.

Once we hooked up the trickle charger for a bit everything was peachy.

Hope it's nothing serious.

3. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Ok so the dealer got back to me and it seems like it's another major gearbox issue, so they will swap the whole gearbox with a new one and it will take them 10-15 days to do so.
    Very disappointed with what just happened I mean the car is one year old and I’m already having major gearbox problems.
    Let's see how it goes...

4. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Atleast it's taken care of and there is no bill which you'll need to pay :)

5. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    what do you mean "Atleast it's taken care of and there is no bill which you'll need to pay"?
    I paid $200K+ for this car and it's one year old, that's the least they can do.

6. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Another gearbox is dead and all I get is 2 replies? wow...

7. rams

rams Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    NC-USA/SG/MY
    hmm... I guess gearbox failure is uncommon. chill and move on. :)

8. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I know of only a handfull of gearbox failures... Compared to the number of cars produced, I'd say it's not an epidemic... Warranties are a great thing! It sucks you have to deal with it but at least it's getting taken care of.

9. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Anybody know how much a new gearbox would cost if he was out of warranty?

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #10 MalibuGuy, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    The early cars had a different gearbox compared to the later production.
    I had an early car and developed a gearbox problem where only one side of the box was working. It was replaced under warranty. Otherwise I think with labor the cost would be arouind 28K.

Please find out if your gearbox is the older model. If it is not then, I am a little concerned and may seriously consider the Ferrari extended warranty.

11. mmaltersmd

mmaltersmd Karting

Sep 16, 2010
    chicago
    Full Name:
    matt
    I would get a extended warranty with any ferrari. at any moment one can get a 10 to 20k warning light.

12. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    Thast all VERY scary. Im sorry you had the issue. That scares the heck out of me. Hwat do u have to do to extend the warranty. I bought my car this year (used). Its original sale was in Feb 2011. I got it with 226 miles on it. I would HATE to have to deal with that kind of mess. I am also surprised the gear box would be that much installed. F car or no that is an amazing amount of money.

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Getrag builds the DCT gearboxes which are found in Ferrari's current production models.
    I think that the boxes have difficulty with the high HP and torque. BMW had to switch to a different type of box for their new M5 because the DCT box couldn't cope with the HP and torque output.

But Getrag is designing new DCT boxes to meet these high performance needs.

In the meantime, extended warranty, may be a solution for owners.

14. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Indeed it is scary, specially if your on a highway and suddenly your car goes to N when your doing 70mph. My car was delivered to me June 2010 so it's not one of the early production cars, do I find it acceptable? hell no look at the number of gearbox failures so far it's a mess, even 458 owners are having trouble with the gearbox and that's not good.
    There is no way in hell i'm going to keep the car without the extended warranty after what just happened.

15. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm totally getting spooked. $28k is a lot of money - it's 10% of the car price!

16. ehrst

ehrst Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    sse
    Thank you for the information. My warranty is almost up and this information definitely helps with the decision about the additional cost of an extention. Also, I am aware of certain instances where recalls are done by the factory when a certain part of a car fails widely. For example, the SA roof has had strut and other problems for which the factory has authorized free recall repairs. My roof parts were replaced as part of a recall only a few months ago. Hopefully, something similar would be offered if in fact these DCTs fail in significant numbers as the cars age and fall out of warranty.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I thought the DCT was supposed to be more reliable than the technology it replaced. Am I wrong?

18. ehrst

ehrst Karting

Jun 20, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    sse
    Certainly the DCTs allow much faster and smoother gear changes. Although these reports are worrisome, I have had no problems with mine yet. I do notice that the car will sometimes delay shifting even in the manual mode until certain RPM is reached. This seems to depend on the mode (sport versus comfort) and how hard car is being driven. Leads me to suspect that their are substantial software and computer inputs in the system and that the system is quite complicated and likely expensive to repair.

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    No problems with mine with over 26,000 miles.

Rick

20. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Any problems with the gearbox after it was replaced?
    When was your car delivered to you?

21. California987

California987 Karting

Jun 27, 2010
    Ok, so after 3 long weeks of waiting I just got my car back and they installed the new gearbox.
    Let's see how things go now...

22. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    I meant that it is taken care off without extra cost. The irritation of a 200k+ car breaking down on such a fundamental part is completely understandable: it's bonkers. I see you have the Cali back, enjoy her.

The only intention of my post was compassion and relativation :)

23. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Amy more issues?