Engine / exhaust help | FerrariChat

Engine / exhaust help

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by redferrarispyder, Jun 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    I’ve got a late (1984) 400i which I love. it is in good condition and looks fantastic in Azzurro & crema.

However when started the left exhaust, emits steam and smoke as it should normally from cold & in winter.
    whereas the right exhaust does the some but in a quick intermittent fashion like someone blowing Out a cigarette opening and closing their mouth quickly. How bad is this?
    Any idea what is causing it.
    There is also a rattle or tap which I don’t think is related and maybe a belt is loose or something similar that needs tightening. It isn’t coming from the engine.
    Any ideas appreciated.

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    If the steam goes away when the car is hot, you may have some moisture left in the exhaust, it may take quite a few miles to clear it.

If the steam is still present when the exhausts are hot, you probably have a few cracks in the head.

3. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    Ok but how does that explain the intermittent puffing out the right exhaust

4. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It may be hard to distinguish from steam, but if the steam/smoke is blue-ish, this may be caused by oil creeping into the combustion chamber and cylinders. My car used to emit thick clouds of almost-white steam, and more than one mechanic mistook them for condensation while in fact this was oil being burned by the engine. The typical pattern was: a large could upon start-up, burning all that oil accumulated in the cylinders while the car was parked, which would disappear after a few minutes of warm-up (similar to condensation), and then small puffs whenever I would stop at a traffic light or anytime I would get back to idle for a few seconds and oil would have time to creep again into the combustion chambers.

Key symptoms of this were: oily spark plugs and higher than usual oil consumption. Another sign this wasn't condensation was the fact that smoke would come back or thicken at traffic lights, when idling with the engine at operating temperature.

This was caused by using a 10w-40 in an engine requiring 10w-50. An oil change with the correct grade cured this issue for me.

Other possible causes of this particular issue include worn valve stem seals, poor valve sealing and/or worn piston rings.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Oil : as explained by Peter, when you depress the accelerator oil can find its way through the valve stem seals (and even more if you do not use the proper oil), this could be consistent with "intermittent puffing".

Coolant : if you have a few cracks in the head: some exhaust gases can find their way in the coolant circuit, which raises coolant the pressure. When you go back to idle, the accumulated pressure pushes the coolant into the exhaust pipe through the cracks. Same annoyance as above (bad looking exhaust when slowing down).

The rattle could be due to a bent valve or valve not properly shimmed? Is the car maintenance up to date including valve shims, valve & valve guides? The owner manual recommends to check the shims every 30.000km, the workshop manual recommends to replace the valves and guides after 50.000km (see section B31). The 50.000km of the workshop manual are probably excessive, but the original valve, guides and stems are not going to last 100.000km for sure.

Mixing incompatible oils does also generate some rattle when cold. If I were in your shoes I would flush oil twice (as per the owner manual), and from then on check whether the car burns coolant or oil.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    When is the last time you checked the tension in the timing chain? I’d start with that. The rattling sound could be slack in the chain. Also if you have twin distributors then a lot of slack will cause ignition timing issues which can lead to differences between the left and right banks.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    1) Does it stop smoking when warmed up?

2) Does the smoke dissipate quickly in the air or hang around?

8. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    It stops once warmed up and it does dissipate quickly.

9. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    I filmed this video for you .
    so you can see exactly what I am talking about.
    What is the easiest way I can upload or enable you to seen it ?

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    You can upload it directly here or post it to youtube or something and post the link.

11. redferrarispyder

Sep 29, 2007
    It only allows me to embed the video from a link. As in YouTube etc.

I’ve taken some screenshots in the meantime so you can try get the idea.
    Notice the constant exhaust from left bank.

will try and upload to YouTube and then post.

Attached Files: