Engine Mount Replacement DIY | FerrariChat

Engine Mount Replacement DIY

Discussion in '308/328' started by Owens84QV, Jul 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Guys...I looked all over the place and could not find anything dealing with this subject.

They are 30 years old, I've heard some sounds that lead me to believe the mounts are nearing the end of their life.

Has anyone done this?

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Search for motor mounts and you'll probably get more hits. There are threads on replacing them with urethane mounts also. It can be done without removing the engine, just do one corner at a time.

I did the urethane "upgrade" on a car. Unless it was a track car I wouldn't do it again.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Brian, why is that?

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Harshness. Now I only have 35 year-old oil-soaked OEM mounts to compare them to, but the urethane is harder and transmits more vibration to the chassis. It really only matters at engine speeds close to idle, but waiting at a stop light was less pleasant than it needed to be. If I replace them on my current car for some reason I'm going to try stock.

5. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Found this (thank you pad!)...http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/327374-motor-mounts-shift-linkage.html

To change motor mount, disconnect shift linkage by engine, remove top reaction tie bar, place floor jack w/ wide board under engine, unbolt engine mounts from frame member (1 bolt per mount), lift engine slightly, unbolt engine mount frames from engine (4 bolts per mount) keeping track of shims and washers and their orientation, insert new mount into mount frame, then reverse the procedure to install.