Engine oil breath hole on a TR, is there such a thing? | FerrariChat

Engine oil breath hole on a TR, is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spaceship, Nov 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    It's 91 testarossa. I saw drops of engine oil on the floor, traced it back to a hole spilled out oil. The hole is located somewhere below the water pump. Do you know what is purpose of a hole there and why is it spilling out oil? Thank you!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the same hole after cleaning the oil.

A zoom out picture, hoping to show the location more clearly.

This one show the trace of oil dripping down, the hole is directly above that.

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    the water pump hole drains an open space between the water pump seal (coolant) and the water pump’s shaft oil seal.

it usually drips coolant with these flaky testarossa water pump seals. That can be serious enough to drive an engine out service.

keep an eye on it and ensure the area stays clean and the drain hole stays open. if you get both coolant and oil, think about pulling the motor.

3. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
  4. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you so much about the explanation and pictures.
    I think it just leaking engine oil now, what is the consequences of the leak? just keep losing oil, or more serious damage could happen?

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    it is just a leak. as long as your weep hole is open, no problem. if it is no more than a very small overnight dribble (not flowing), just watch it. the oil is coming from a splash zone - no pressure.

if coolant is leaking and the hole plugged off, the coolant pressure can rise and force coolant into your oil system.... in theory.

just keep it clean and watch it. next belt service, make sure they replace the water pump and oil seals.

6. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you for the detail explanation. Since I just had a timing belt service at the dealer... don't want to have the engine off again right the way. Glad to know that at least I can leave it this way unless it's getting worst or leaking coolant. Thank you again.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004

Wow, they should have taken care of this then. You would be lucky to make it to the next service.

8. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
  9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Maybe someone with more experience on this particular issue can chime in and give you a more clear idea of longevity. I didn't mean to depress you.

10. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thanks Moss, depressed just because of the first half of the sentence, totally agree with you that they should have taken care of it when doing the belt.