News

348 Engine out Major done

Discussion in '348/355' started by KevZep, May 17, 2020.

1. MAD828

MAD828 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You will have to do it with you sitting in the 348! How good is nostalgia.

2. KevZep

KevZep Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Great Idea!! That gives me an excuse to go for another drive, I'll have to get my GF to come along and be the photographer!!

I am complete sucker for Nostalgia, love it...

MAD828 likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh on the cam seal O-Rings, did you put them in dry or add a sealant (which one)?

4. KevZep

KevZep Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    My preference would have been to add sealant to them, but the problem is the top half would have been sitting exposed too long whilst I was dialing in the cams, so what I ended up doing was adding some sealant where the Cam cover meets the head, just a bit of a dab right in those corners...
    I have already done 300miles in the car since the service, and not one drop of oil from the engine, dry as a bone.

ernie likes this.
  5. Ten Four

Ten Four Rookie

Apr 25, 2020
    Perth, Western Australia
    Full Name:
    James K
    Car looks fantastic.
    If you ever decide to sell your wheels.... let me know ;)

KevZep likes this.
  6. KevZep

KevZep Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    You'll have to pries them from my cold dead hands!!
    I love those wheels!!

7. KevZep

KevZep Karting

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I have been getting out and about in the 348, the engine feels great after the service, Ive done early morning "Dawn Raids", and today I went visiting friends....
    I can never get enough of that sweet crisp flat plane V8 sound at 7000rpm........its like a drug, the good kind!!

I have discovered though, I have some kind of "weeping" from the gearbox, I thought it might have been the RH drive flange seal, but its dry as a bone in there, so I thought it might have been that O-Ring on the side plate, so I pulled that and cleaned everything up and resealed.
    But I still have this oil appearing from "somewhere".....Its really not easy to see where its coming from....
    Its not a lot of oil, on a short trip it doesn't leak, I have to drive more than about 60 miles, it will leave about 1/3rd of a teaspoon on the ground after a few minutes, but after that it stops.....
    It wasn't leaking before I changed the oil in the gearbox, so maybe it was low on oil before I changed it (wish I had have checked that before I did the change), I do recall thinking that not a lot of oil came out of the box.......
    So I am trying to track that down at the moment, its a bit annoying but its not stopping me enjoying the car, I know I will get to the bottom of it, I just hope I don't have to take the gearbox out of the car to sort it, that would be a bit boring....

and yes, my wheels are dirty, I was using the brakes fairly hard before I arrived at my friends place here in the pic...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login