Engine Overhaul? | FerrariChat

Engine Overhaul?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Vitamin_J, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    My 355 has 24k miles on the clock, just had a major last year and F of Central Florida gave it an A+ bill of health. There have been issues with the car over the years, but nothing out of the ordinary for the MY.

I struck a deal with a potential buyer (on this board) and at my request we take the car to Ferrari of Washingtong for a PPI. Couple minor issues with the car (front bumper was painted, truck strut doesn't work, AC not blowing cold) again, nothing crazy and not big deal for a 96.

They do a compression and leak down and find that two of the cylinders are below tolerance. I'm not sure if the service guys are licking their chops, but they quote $15-25k for a valve job.

All of this puzzles me as the car is running great, even by FoW's own admission. They say 'it may be down a couple of HP's but running / sounds great'. To top it all off, they tell the prospective buyer that it will need an 'engine overhaul' shortly.

I'm lost for words. How does FoCF says that there is no evidence of an engine problem & FoW give a report that, 'your car runs strong, but the engine needs to be overhauled soon'?

This of course turned the buyer off and I am refunding him his money for the car without hard feelings.

Final question, if the car is down a few HP and has been like this since day one, why would a 25k mile car need $15-25K worth of work when it is running fine been maintained perfectly.

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    How far "off tolerance"?
    Do you have the numbers on the tests?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    None of us know but you should be asking them for the specifics of their findings. They probably have cause to say it and you should know what that is.

4. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    One cylinder came back at 45 another at 54 and a final one at 17%. FofCF said that maybe they did the test with a 'cold' engine as the car would be running really rough if those numbers were true.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A good solid 355 motor will make very much the same numbers cold as hot. It is true with numbers like that the motor would not be running well but I suspect it has more to do with getting debris on the valves when pulling the plugs which is a typical rookie mistake. If they are so unsure of the tests they should not be taking money for the tests and blowing off a buyer.

That was very irresponsible if that is what happened.

We do tests of various types all the time and when you get a result that makes no sense you redo the test. You do not take questionable results and just go with it, unless of course your intent is to just sell work.

6. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks Rifledriver. It just doesn't add up. Car runs great, but the tests show it should be running really bad.

I'm going to take it somewhere else and get another opinion.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good idea. Its sounds like they messed up the test. 2 cylinders running that low compression in an engine would sound and run like grandpa's old lawnmower on a Sunday morning. :D
    Rookie mistake............or they are quiet and could do with some work. :rolleyes:

8. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    yes, get another opinion. THose tests can fluctuate depending on who and how they are performed it seems! Good luck
    gordon

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Last car I sold, during the PPI the shop (reputable) told the buyer that it needed a complete front brake job. It just had one done 7k miles ago. I told them to show me the #'s! They took a flash light and pointed to the worst one. That pad had almost 3/8" thick of brake material left!!!

I couldn't believe they told that to the buyer over the phone!! He wanted to negotiate the cost of a brake job out of the price. Luckily the buyer when he saw it in person was knowledgeable enough to know that there was plenty of pad left.

It may be the shop you went to had some self-serving motives or some very incompetent technicians. If that reading was accurate, it would be soooo down on power and idle rough too!

10. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks Goth, that is exactly what I thought, this thing runs great.

I have a test scheduled with a performance shop on Thursday.

I called back another gent who was interested in the car and told him the story. He has seen the service records that I faxed back to him and he laughed at the results (he has owned two other F cars so he GETS it).

He is having a local friend from Delaware come by on Friday and if the car checks out, he said he will buy it. So, all is not lost. :)

11. BH1

BH1 Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    NSB, Fl & Aspen, Co
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Jody,
    the fact of the matter is that this particular 355 has had better care taken of it than most. I know that when I owned the car I never experienced any performance related issues. The service bill from FoCF from Oct of 2005 was over $26k for work to "make the car perfect", new cats, new headers, new clutch, AC compressor, belts, idlers, on and on..... certainly Rocky or Randy would have taken the opportunity to do a valve job had the car needed it. That car never saw a hard day during the time I owned it, period. I honestly believe that FoW has not done the leakdown correctly. I would buy the car back without a PPI..... thats how confident I am in the condition of the car.

12. THE BEAST 360

THE BEAST 360 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nathan K
    I heard your car a week and a half ago and it sounded great! I hope all works out for you
    Nathan

13. Nicksta

Nicksta Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    DC Ranch & NY, NY
    Full Name:
    Nick Ingle
    I'm going through similar stories with two 355s I'm looking at. Both "need" valve guides done...along with another $10,000 in work. One seller concedes that he thinks the valves may need to be done, but he suspects that the dealer is trying to work pricing down for their customers. I tend to agree. How can every car for sale need a $15,000 service?

14. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Jodi---see if Grand Touring can do a leakdown for you..

15. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think that most of you guys know that I am the one that was going to buy Jody's car. FoW gave me these #'s today for the leakdown and compression test.
    #1 45 #5 12
    #2 54 #6 24
    #3 13 #7 22
    #4 17 #8 8

And yes they told me that it will need an engine overhaul soon. I really want to trust what these guys say because I don't live far from them and they will be servicing which ever F car I do get. I love Jody's car but told him that I didn't want to buy it because of the PPI result's. Is this a mistake???

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    NO way are those numbers right... They are all over the board--I wouldn't imagine the car would even run correctly..

17. brendon0

brendon0 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Vitamin_J - Run a bottle or two of techron thru it, and run it up to the redline
    a bit. It may just be carbon buildup.

Steve - There are several local shops in your area, get an independant
    2nd opinion. This is what I would do before throwing away a good
    car to a dealer f-up.

18. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    with those numbers IMO the car would idle and run terribly . half the cylinders are under spec.

19. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS

That's probably the best advice I have ever read on this board!

20. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    it is kinda slow time of year for the dealerships...when in doubt ..a nice parts list and a labor charge helps keep the lights on... :)

21. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    You didn't make a mistake. The fact is that you are doing the right thing by getting a PPI. Your seller was honest-enough to agree to the PPI and honest-enough to refund your money due to the PPI, so your seller is doing the right thing, as well.

Now, if your seller goes to his expense and trouble to get a 2nd opinion, and if you like the car, then I'd give the seller a 2nd chance...but that's just me.

But, you should stick with the numbers that a legitimate PPI gives you. As the Buyer, you should hold steady.

I wouldn't think that a 2nd PPI should be your expense, and I wouldn't buy the car when only guessing that the original PPI is bad.

On the other hand, if I wanted the car and the seller paid for a 2nd PPI that turned up good, then that would be where I'd give the benefit of the doubt.

In short, you are doing the right thing and the seller is doing the right thing. This is how these cars should be purchased and sold.

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Hello, I don't know the car, or the buyer or the seller involved in this thread ... but I do know FoW pretty well.

FoW has serviced, for me, cars ranging from a 1953 212 Inter to a '91 F40 to a 430 Challenge car. I know most of the folks in all parts of the business there personally and, yes, I'm probably biased - but I've never, ever had any problems. I can't put that record down to luck, so it grates on me to see folks who know nothing about a dealer speculate about the competence of its technicians.

Instead of having the conversation here, why not call up FoW's service manager and explain your concerns? If somehow a mistake was made, I'm certain they'll fix it. You're upset because you feel your deal was blown up - everyone understands that. But why complain about it here, why not deal with it face to face?

Search the archives here - FoW receives pretty much uniformly favorable reviews. There's a reason for that.

Regards, Will

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

^^ Werd.

I spoke with Jody today and said pretty much the same thing. I don't think he is questioning the integrity of FoW; simply the quality/consistency of the tests that were performed on the car and resultant deal which collapsed.

I'll let him re-post some of the details from today's interaction with them.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Will, I agree FOW has a good reputation. Though if you only want users to post favorable threads how will that make clear peoples experiences? I think this is a valid thread with good information going from the thread starter to the members here. Your experience and opinions are welcomed and valued, but you should recognize someone with the history you state could be treated differently.

My experience with FOW has been very professional. In my opinion they charge what's in line with other Ferrari dealerships and that's high. They did cause a problem with my car that required it go back to them. They took responsibility and corrected the issue. So, other then an inconvenience and a little less faith on the quality of their work I was taken care of.

Good Luck

SGMDCFD - If you still have interest in this car, you should do a bit more investigation before walking away, as clearly it is warranted.

25. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    Thanks for all of your responses. FoW's reputation is sterling and I don't question it. My point of the post, was that hearing the term "Engine Overhaul" made the buyer nervous and rightfully so.

I visited FoW this morning and wanted a better explanation of an -engine overhaul-. The shop foreman and tech stated that in 20k or so miles that it may need to be overhauled. I can't imagine a Ferrari with 50k miles on it not needing some engine work at some point. And, at the going rate that is 5 or 10 years from now. These are not Toyotas...

I drove the car to a performance shop to have another PPI done at my expense. The tech and I went for a spin and if the car is down on power, he nor I could feel it. Everyone who drives the car, myself, the prospective buyer, FoW tech have all reiterated that it runs well.

Making a comment about an engine overhaul is tantamount to the doctor who told my sister she could not have a child due to her health problems. My 8 month old niece might disagree.

I'll have the results from my own PPI back tomorrow. Even if some of the cylinders are out of tolerance, I wonder how many early 355's are running at 10% and if this has any long term ramifications? One Ferrari tech told me that this is probably the case since day one and if you can't feel it in the seat of your pants and the car is regularly serviced (which mine is) then who cares?

Nobody can make a guarantee with any used car as to what condition it will be in 20+k miles from now. My concern is that FoW used a very poor choice of words to describe a car that is running great and serviced exactly to spec and beyond.

I am a 'do no evil' kind of guy and that is why I gave the buyer back his money immediately. I think that those on this board that know me would vouch for my character, which hopefully is not in quesiton either.