348 - Engine repair thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 Engine repair thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Oct 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    I have read lots of issues here with people changing the heaad gasket on their 348 and having just literraly no water sealing and had to try two or even more had gasket before it works.

There is a thread here talking about 328 head gasket and they explain that the material has been updated due to a factory change and the head gasket are less flexible than before and so it can leak if the liner protusion is too high even if it was fine with the original head gasket..

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/correct-328-head-torque.595873/

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahh I know Elring had issues back in 2010 when they switched to Spanish, but that was 12 years ago, the material would not compress enough, last I knew issue was solved. I also have the original German Elring as well as the new ones. That said nothing to do with liner protrusion it was the water jacket seal. I also suspect incorrect torqueing, its specific and very easy to get wrong even when you think your doing it right. Guess we'll see.

Also Cometic will make them if you ask. I also contacted Dave Helms and they claim to not have gaskets.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-new-head-gasket-leaking-coolant.288842/

chas-3 likes this.
  3. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    It would be nice if it is solved!

From what I remember to have understood in the 328 HG topic I mentioned, an engineer from Elring was saying that the situation has not changed since the use of the new factory in spain and he was explaining that the liner protusion had to be lower due to the lower head gasket compression ability..

Then I also imagine there are some incorrect torque procedure in the testimonies we can read..

Are you going to put the original German head gaskets?

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nope, new ones first. All kinds of liner protrusion on the 348, issue was silicone or what ever it is was too hard and did not compress around water jackets. Originals are from 93.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Any updates?

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Picking up valves, guides and seals today. Guides are in spec but while the patent is open... Will drop them off at the shop this week. In the mean time I ordered a metric azz load of oem hardware, I'll be replacing most nuts and washers, been cleaning and maintaining things things people forget like the intake butterfly, verifying vacum canister for it, cleaning TB's etc in the interim. Also have a cart load of Ricambi parts, Daniel mentioned some are special order and it will take a few weeks to get the package. I am definitely a "while the patient is open" kind of owner. Got all all new Solenoids #111704, water temp sensors, new cyl head cap nuts from Hill eng etc as well. Will post some new pics in few weeks, heads will be fully machined 3 angle seats etc and the shop will set valve clearances at the same time. Will of course time the cams with a degree wheel.

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I will try using the original OEM head gaskets and then devise a method to pressure test the cooling system in the block while on the stand. Plug water pump hoses with custom plugs I will fab up and then use a Schrader valve on a hose into the intake manifold water jacket and pump to 15 psi is my guess. Any thoughts?

8. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I just went to Home Depot and got some PVC plumbing pieces and parts to make the plugs out of, then used a Coolant pressure test kit from Harbor Freight.

By the way, it took me 3 gaskets to find one that didn't seep from the top of the head.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got it, good tip on PVC, I assume you plug the thermostat and water pump end and pressurized the hose going in the manifold?

10. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Who took the loss on the failed gaskets?

11. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    If I recall correctly, I plugged the thermostat hose and the small hose on the back of the manifold and pressurized the big one coming out of the water pump, but I'm not sure it really matters. (I think one of the adapters from the Harbor Freight kit just screwed onto the PVC fitting for that hose)

Unfortunately, I did except for one gasket that was clearly damaged in shipping.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Unless the gasket is damaged before you install it I would imagine its hard to prove whether it is the gasket or an install issue.

chopsui likes this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Clean intake runners especially where the injectors seat, they get carbon build up in them, I used a round wheel brush and brake cleaner, all shiny inside now.

Also clean and lube the intake valve linkage and pull a vacuum on the actuator to ensure the diaphragm is still working and the valve operates under a vacuum.

Swap out the nuts and washers for new OEM ones and torque to spec. Mine were loose and uneven before I redid it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

chopsui and steved033 like this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    $500 in new OEM hardware awaits for any nasty looking nut and washer.

Front timing cover for example, got some more to do still, chipping away at it. Replace, torque, retorque etc. Additionally the hill timing cover bearing I put in there 2 years ago looks good, no leaks. Yey.

Block all cleaned and ready for final wipe down when the heads arrive in a few weeks. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How do you buy OEM hardware like that ..always wanted to have hardware for my cars ready to go ..is it model specific?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh no it doesn't come that way those are bins that I put them in. I ordered most of the hardware from Ricambi from parts diagrams then buy 10 of item x and so on and a good bit from superformance. Pretty much every crush washer in the car etc I have multiples of. Bolts nuts washers zinc and the black ones for the fender liners etc.

No those red bins stacked underneath are five deep of big bins and those are full of my smaller spare Ferrari parts. Stuff that's too big like spare maths and spare HVAC unit etc are in boxes.

Below is also a small bin of regular plastic clips that break that you always need I have spares of.

mr308gtb and flash32 like this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I see your my neighbor.. now i know where to go for hardware ..lol

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have 15 of those containers for new/used/take-off/stuff-I-run-into of nuts, bolts, washers, orings, circlips, electrical crimps, shims, connectors of all kinds just because I am going to need them, sometimes, somewhere, somehow, on some jobs. Some of them are more organized than others but I don't believe in a bucket full of things that I have to dump out on the counter to find one M8 wave washer.

20. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Nice prep work. I recently did a major service on my 348 and replaced almost every nut. It makes the engine look like a new piece of jewelry when all "buttoned up" I bought all my new hardware from Superformance and it was very reasonable in price. Also used Honda Bond on applicable gasket surfaces and would highly recommend. No leaks yet......

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #71 Ferrarium, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    So this is interesting, 2 pully numbers the old one is good up until assembly 4383 then its a new part number. The difference is the rear pully snout is shorter on the new one. I recall there was some issue with a front block bearing casting needing to be bigger so I assume that's what happened and the larger front surface pushed out requiring a shorter snout. Easy enough to have one machined out of 1018 steel after carful measurement which I did. I assume the chamfers are there to protect the bearing it pushes against which I will have done. Something like this but inside edge also de-burred. Cutting the key way square requires broaching after chamfering the ID so the cost gets double. So the key way is slightly taller and then rounded above the key height which is cheaper to machine, there is no load on it its a spacer. May just deburr the ID manually with a round file.

This spacer is like $350 to machine 4, a Brembo spacer is like $200 for 4 as its simpler. once cojld always a washer at Mcmaster carr and do it manually however the thickness will be off as much as 1mm, not sure that matters, but it does to me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

uber2 likes this.
  22. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Eric if you are going to have a machine shop make this spacer for you it might be prudent to see if anyone else is interested in going in on it to mitigate cost. I know I would be interested because I like the idea of that better pulley. I do know I am going to replace my pulley on the next upcoming major. Just a thought. Thanks for this good info.

solana_sc and steved033 like this.
  23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    same here.

sjd

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When I have them I can give them to members I know who do or will need them, outside that they have to prove a failure and I'll give them one. Lead time is like 3 weeks. If I remove the outside chamfer and DIY that price goes from $68 a pop to $33 a pop. hmmmm, put a bolt though it, stick it in the drill press, spin it, put sandpaper on the outside and round it. Donr that many times....

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'll get 8 made should be about a week, if they can find the right material thickness they can waterjet it.

solana_sc and steved033 like this.