Enlarged Throttle Body – A DIY Product Review | FerrariChat

Enlarged Throttle Body – A DIY Product Review

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 27, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #1 dave80gtsi, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am a firm believer that any engine with high performance aspirations like ours first needs to be allowed to “breathe” well, with a free and unrestricted flow of fresh intake air and exhaust gases. And I have likewise always suspected that the 308 OEM throttle body could perhaps be serving as an intake air flow restrictor (that it, aside from the necessary flapper in the CIS fuel distributor), since it has a relatively small I.D. as compared to the capacity of the engine.

To be more specific, the inside diameter of the 308’s OEM throttle body is about 66 mm, thru which intake air passes into a 3 liter engine. But note that this 66 mm I.D. appears to be around the same size as the OEM throttle bodies which are fitted to many newer and smaller 1.8 to 2 liter 4 cylinder engines. So by that rough comparison criterion it appears as if the 308’s throttle body I.D. just might be a bit on the small side.

Years ago there was a Ferrari aftermarket parts firm who posted here by the name of Durable1 (headed by a fellow with the nickname of “Kermit”) who offered an enlarged throttle body for our cars. Don’t know what ever happened either to him or to that firm, but in anticipation of this winter’s maintenance work and installation of the round tooth cam belt kit (see my other thread for the play-by-play details of that work), I started to look around to find an alternate firm who could bore out my OEM throttle body.

I ultimately found this firm ( http://www.maxbore.com/index.html ) and I sent a spare throttle body to them. I asked Maxbore to be a bit conservative with their work, and not to try to squeeze out every teeny little last bit of bore that they could.

So here’s their results.

The O.D. of our 308’s stock throttle body is about 66 mm as noted earlier. My new bored throttle body came back to me at a bit over 71 mm. See my comparison picture below which shows the OEM and the new larger throttle body placed side-by-side.

Perhaps it might have been possible for Maxbore to bore to maybe a +0.5 to 1.0 mm larger I.D.? But even so, my +5 mm increase between the old 66 mm and the new 71 mm I.D. represents about a +16% increase in the body’s cross sectional air flow area..

Of course, the inlet opening of the plenum must now also be matched to the new throttle body outlet so to allow for the full benefit of the new enlarged throttle body I.D. As you can see, a common Dremel with a sanding disc was what I used, which worked quite well.

Unfortunately it will still be a month or two before I will have the car back on the road, so I have no driving impressions yet that I can offer. But what I suspect that I will find is that the new enlarged throttle body will offer a subjectively quicker throttle response, since for a given position of the throttle, there will be an increase in intake air flow.

All told, this appears to be a simple, reliable, quick and easy performance upgrade for very minimal cost and effort. And as a bonus, it does not alter the outward appearance of the throttle body, suiting those of you who might be concerned about maintaining your engine’s visual originality.

Enjoy - DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Looks interesting.....but what I always wonder about modifications like this (which are very easy to do & cost basically nothing) is that if it was so easy to improve the car you'd wonder why Ferrari didn't do it themselves in the first place.

You would think they must have tested different configurations on something like this.

3. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    I'm real interested as to the results of your modification. Please keep us posted. Looks like nice machine work on the parts. I did this same mod to one of my bikes. I kind of think you will maybe notice more of an upper end change rather than lower. You might need to adjust the FI unit to run richer. After some breathing mods on my 308 we needed to reset the mixture. There was a big change in power after the engine was allowed to breath. What pipes and muffler will you be using? More air in won't help unless it also gets out.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Good on you for doing this, Dave. I know Mike and Tommy tried this a few years back with negative hp results but I think that it's time for a redo. It will be very interesting to see how it all goes and the different solutions you come up with.

5. Ben348

Ben348 Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2008
    NH the Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ben
  6. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    +1000

Ferrari do know a few things about engine design. It is unlikely that they did not size the airflow to match the fuel delivery maximum (metering plate right down) at wide open throttle.
    To confirm that they did indeed get it wrong, it would be necessary to test on a rolling road after fitting this to ensure the mixture is not too lean at WOT otherwise burned valves could result. If it is too lean, then the fuel delivery would need to be increased. Not sure how you would do this if its maxed-out already.
    Even if it is not too lean, what difference would increasing airflow make if the fuelling is not increased? Air on its own does not produce engine power!

7. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Dave, I think it looks cool as hell even if you find out that it doesn't quite add 30hp. Good luck.

8. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    There are several factors as why Ferrari didn't do this in my opinion.
    1. driveability. With a larger bore you will flow more at any T angle past zero. Not that it is uncontrolable but I deffinitly noticed my mustang was more jerky when I went to a larger throttle body.

2. Port Velocity. Although more volume a larger T body will slow down the velocity of incoming and that can effect cylinder filling especially at low valve lift.

3. Cam profiles. The cams in the CIS engine are not the greatest and choke the engine far more then the intake system does. I would be interested in seeing before and after of the total system on the flowbench.

Newer engines are running larger throttle bodies the the older ones but look at the power output they are making as well the cams are better shape and variable timing make big differences. Compression is coming back up on engines do to combustion chamber shape as well as fuel managment.

I am interested in seeing the results and if it works I will may try it on my engine.

9. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not knocking this & I'm interested in what the results are too.

But, this was kind of what I was alluding to. The whole system is a callaboration of things that work together. Of course the engine could ultimately produce more power than it does but as a manufacturer they have to provide driveability and reliability as well as performance.

Nonetheless, if there was a clear benefit to be had by doing this that didn't reduce driveability & improved performance I am sure they would have done it. Interesting questions also as to whether the injection system will be able to keep up with it at WOT and high revs as well. If the thing starts to lean out at the top end because of this, that would be bad.....

10. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    100% agreement my friend. I think it has been well versed on this form that there is no magic bullet to make our cars a magic bullet. Most of our cars especially the US market ones were built in an era where the politicains got involved and did what was best for us little people that can't make decisions on our own. Ferrari had to play the hand they were dealt. To really improve these cars you need to adress every part as a package. I do not worry about these cars leaning out after looking at turbo/super charger packages out there making 350+ hp w/out modifying the CIS.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #11 ernie, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    Nice job Dave.

Had the throttle bodies on my 348 ported late last year. (the thread Ben348 posted a link to). The throttle response is better, and I may have gained a few more ponies. Don't know for sure because I never did before and after dyno's. Never the less I'm glad I had them ported and would not hesitate to do it all over again.

12. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    #12 pad, Jan 27, 2012
  13. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Doing this and fitting EFI is a whole other ball game and makes a load of sense.

14. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes you are right, the evidence does seem that there is plenty of headroom on the CIS. I stand corrected on that!

15. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    1) Exhaust system: stock headers, straight thru test pipes with no cats, and a Stebro (seemingly everybody’s favorite brand) muffler. I can’t see how the exhaust system could easily be made to flow much better or to be any more unrestricted than it already is.

2) Running rich: I don’t see this to be a problem with a CIS car.

Recall that it is the position of the air flapper door in the fuel distributor which governs the amount of fuel flow to the injectors. Allowing more air to pass thru the throttle body (which you will note is downstream from the CIS head) will simply result in the CIS flapper door opening further, thus increasing fuel flow proportionally.

I can’t envision any reason why the CIS system would not automatically self-correct for any increase (or decrease) in air flow past it.

3) My goals: I have no false expectations that this modest +5 mm increase in throttle body I.D. will be the “Magic Bullet” that will awaken a huge whack of slumbering untapped horsepower. Rather, I view this as one more complimentary piece to the much larger puzzle, doing my own small part to help to dispel the widely held belief that the 2Vi engine series is an unloved dog of an engine (and that the 1980 ~ 82 “i” cars, guilty thru association, aren’t worth a crap).

The next step after this will be to replace the OEM cams with something more suitable, working within the CIS flow restrictions that have been placed upon them. Next step beyond that will be to go to higher compression pistons, along with lighter connecting rods, perhaps a 348 or 355 stroker crank. And so forth and so on it goes.

But for now, like many of you, I am quite anxious to see what sort of a “real world” effect this latest mod will have.

I’ll be certain to update this thread accordingly once I have a chance to drive the car again, but it will likely be a couple of months before warm weather returns.

Cheers - DM

16. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    What size is the QV throttle body?

I think the heads are the same (or nearly) between the carbed and the 2vi. Seems like there is alot more opening with the carbs. Course they also dont have the giant flapper in the air stream either.

Aaron

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yesterday was the first opportunity that I have had to drive the 308 around since I installed the enlarged throttle body.

I. Am. Way. Impressed.

My expectations going into this work was that the new enlarged throttle body would result in a quicker perceived rate of acceleration, since, for a given movement of the throttle position, there would be a greater resulting air flow.

And, indeed, that’s –exactly- what I got.

Driving the car in, say, second gear, and nailing the throttle immediately pins you back into the seat. It’s a MUCH stronger sense of acceleration than I have ever had before with this car, and it is easily the best bang-for-the-buck engine modification that I have done to date.

Everyone who owns a CIS 308 / 328 should immediately drop what they are doing and send their existing TB to MaxBore (address earlier in this thread) for this service.

It’s way cheap, there’s no down side whatsoever to it that I can see, and it even maintains the engine’s stock OEM outward appearance, should this be a concern to any of you.

I would –very- much like to see some sort of a dyno before-and-after test of the engine with the service done – my guess is that wide open throttle, there would be a notable power increase.

Absolutely and positively - Two Major Thumbs Up.

Cheers - DM

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    That's just great, glad it worked out. Any increase in the fun factor makes it worth it. I too would be curious to see some dyno info. Any data on fuel consumption changes?

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Enlarging the TB on a 308 will cost you hp, I think around 7 or so.

I have a Durable 1 enlarged TB on my 308. Back in Jan 06 Mike C and I pulled a few Dyno runs with and without it. The results show that you need to leave it alone.

Want more quick cheap hp, but a K&N. We proved that.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88743

20. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    For what it is worth I like the 308 just as it is and enlarging the TB won't help when a ZO6 pulls next to you. I've had my good times in Vettes and Jags but even with the lack of HP the F-car has THAT special feeling that other Marques could not supply me with. Lost

21. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #21 dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2012
    Tommy - Thanks for the interesting thread link, I had not seen that one before.

But if I am reading it correctly, your -6 hp rating was measured with a mis-matched plenum intake opening, so the engine is arguably not seeing the full benefit of the larger TB.

Did you ever do any further tests with a port matched plenum opening, like mine is?

I spent many hours with a Dremel, enlargening and then fine polishing my plenum inlet. It's very smooth, with no irregularities at the TB / plenum threshold.

(Picture re-posted, for emphasis)

Cheers - DM

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I forgot about that.

The evening before I left my belt broke (again) on the alt/wp so I just unbolted the TB and took it to Huntsville with me in another car. As you correctly read, we put it on Mike's car for the test.

My car has the manifold matched to the TB so I am good there, I just don't know the dyno #'s because we never tried it again with my set up

23. Icandrive

Icandrive Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    Ma
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Interesting upgrade. I have to do some more research. Thanks

24. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Late update on my ported tb's.

Did a before and after dyno test last year and they were good for +4hp to the hubs.

25. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    This doesn't surprise me... A lot more goes into the dynamics of the intake charge than simply the bore diameter. A larger bore will usually reduce the intake velocity, which can reduce the density of the air charge. The original designers may have even "designed in" very specific turbulence and swirl characteristics.

I once spent countless hours with a dremel tool "opening up" the ports on an old set of Sportster heads. This resulted in an extremely embarrassing visit to a dyno in front of a large crowd of spectators at a bike show...

At least it sounded good on the dyno!

However, I still enjoy seeing people trying stuff out, even if it doesn't always work!