Entering the 348 brotherhood... | FerrariChat

Entering the 348 brotherhood...

Discussion in '348/355' started by steved033, Aug 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #1 steved033, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Long time lurker, first time owner.

Long story short, I usually buy project cars. Austin healey, MGBs, a 240z or two, some of you have seen my 7 year restoration of a Plymouth GTX and are completely shocked where I started.

I bought the craigslist car from BT. Rossa Corsa over Nero, 20k miles, a noise in the clutch.

It has a folder full of receipts, all its books, most of its tool kit (missing the ratchet and the flat screwdriver). Gothspeed test pipes and muffler.

missing the debris panel from in front of the battery, no heat shield above the muffler. Frankly, it'll be a great driver.

The clutch problem: Hill bearing update already done, dual plate clutch is dry, a little oil leaking into the flywheel, grease in the bellhousing. I'm wondering if there's any grease left in there at all. (especially if it's been apart once)...it looks like triple seals and a flywheel repack are in order.

Other thoughts? here's the symptom. you can hear the clack on start up. it's quiet while all momentum is equalized. the moment you go to push the clutch in there's a loud clacking sound that really says "don't push the clutch in". release the little bit of pressure, and the sound disappears.with the car off, clutch operation feels normal.

before I go further, I may toss it back together and diagnose again or get a video.

I'm looking forward to the adventure.

sjd
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the purchase. Seemed like a good deal for someone to turn their own wrenches on. I spoke with the previous owner and he seemed very knowledgeable and forthcoming with the condition of the car. Providing the noise is in the clutch, I think you did well and the seller was able to recoup what the car needed to bring him. Looking forward to the rest of the story behind the noise.

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Nice

Enjoy working on it. They are super simple like the 355s

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Reading in the receipts and service from the original owner, he had the interior pulled and cleaned and painted black (explains why it's NOT sticky). I put them in chronological order, but didn't have time to transcribe the details.

It looks like the last major was done in 2004. It'll be a fun fall.

sjd

5. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Could be a lack of grease in the flywheel
    Enjoy wrenching

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks! I'm learning a ton.

re: grease. That's the general thought. i'm pretty sure there's no grease, or it's just past its useable life. I've received a couple of PMs "while you're in there" to build a tool and slide hammer out the clutch shaft to be able to inspect the ring nut on the back side of it.

I'll likely be doing some measuring this weekend to do that.

In the meanwhile i'll have to take some pictures about some of the paint correction and scuffing i've found on it that i've wet-sanded and polished out. i'm about 90% sure the rear bumper has been re-sprayed.

Engine lid struts arrived yesterday.

I also received the leather restoration cleaner and rejuvenator from a place called color plus. I think the passenger side was toward a garage window as its in much worse shape than the driver's side seat. (I have yet to peek under the seats)

sjd

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I'm hoping the problem is just flywheel grease, that would make this the best Ferrari buy that I have heard of. The passenger seat is definitely 'harder' leather than the driver side. My truck is enjoying its rightful place back in the garage. I thought of the little springs on the clutch plates that maybe one of those could have broken off if nothing else seems weird. I would recommend replacing the triple seals if you have it all apart. I think the PO had a major service done sometime in 2010 or 2011 at Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale.

:)
    BT

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Now that i'm the owner, i'll have to call Ft. Lauderdale again and hit them up. I wouldn't feel like i was on as much borrowed time if it's been done that recently.

All the fingers on the pressure plate are even and not askew. I won't really know until i get it apart.

Thanks BT!

sjd

9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Congratulations on the purchase. Enjoy the adventures. I'm sure you will have it perfect in no time.

Robb

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks Robb!

sjd

11. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Brocco likes this.
  12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    it did make some noise on startup, but also just as you lightly set your foot on the clutch pedal. my first thought was bad throwout bearing, but the HE bearing is already in place. the noise is quite like the shuddering clack of the flywheel, and the triples are leaking AND there's grease in the bellhousing. i'll know when I get it apart. grease and rebuild kit on the way. special nut tool arrived today.

sjd

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #13 steved033, Aug 26, 2017
    found it.

Went to a Meineke car repair to bang that big nut off the flywheel. I clearly need to buy a real impact gun. I called before I went, he says "come by we can give it a shot" I take the assembly over there, I carry it into the shop and set it on the floor, he looks an says "ummmmm, that says ferrari on it." i'm like, "yep." he says "i'm going to hand you the impact, and let you do it, becasue i want no responsibility for tearing it up." I laughed...by then we had a crowd of the other techs wondering what we were doing. Bang, 10 seconds, nut was off.

back home to press out the subassembly. boom it's out. no biggie. take the housing off the flywheel assembly...and....

5 of 6 torx plus on the flywheel have backed themselves out enough to machine a 1/32" groove in the bellhousing. hm! wasn't expecting that.

more to come....

sjd

Brocco likes this.
  14. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    Def found the source of the noise! good work, and keep us updated!

15. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Welcome to the 348 Brotherhood Steve.

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    OUCH!!!!

That is not good at all! I think you figured out what was causing all the racket in the clutch. Once you get the flywheel apart make sure all the plastic bits are in good shape. If they aren't you may want to consider using the MadDog Clutches flywheel rebuild kit. Looking forward to seeing the rebuild pics.

17. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Good work so far, keep the pics and info coming. Also glad you found the issue.

18. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Dumb question: Will the flywheel now be unbalanced and require replacement because of the missing material?

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Not likely because there will be 200+g of grease in there that will be thrown around and help balance.

20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Yes, the missing material is on the (non-rotating) housing so the flywheel is not affected, unless I missed some damage to the flywheel on the picture.

21. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome and nice job so fsr

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    #22 steved033, Aug 29, 2017
    Thanks everyone.

I pulled the clutch apart and checked it over. Friction surfaces are nice, no hot spots, a tiny amount of dish on the flywheel side and the pressure plate side. Pressure plate is in great shape.

There's no damage to the flywheel case itself, only to the bellhousing. The bolts themselves are a little worse for wear.

I'm searching for the flywheel bolts, (not the big one, the torx plus ones...they don't seem to be sold separately) because they seem to be pretty specific. it's an M8x1.25, it's a torx plus cap screw, it's a low head cap screw, and the non-threaded area is critical to sealing the flywheel, as the o-rings in the flywheel will ride on the non-threaded area.

Other stuff. I had the bellhousing welded up yesterday, as it seems one or two previous owners had a steep exit to their garage, or liked backing into parking blocks...the area where it says "Ferrari" at the bottom of the bellhousing was pretty wrecked, and full of asphalt. The welding did the trick, we checked the bellhousing for warp, everything stayed straight. I haven't done any of the finishing work on it yet.

more to come:

sjd

23. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #23 m.stojanovic, Aug 29, 2017
    The dishes are part of the clutch design, do not flatten them. The picture shows what I measured on my 12k miles clutch.

24. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    MD Clutches have them at GBP 45 a set. MD Clutches See under "Sales" and "Other Parts and Products"

25. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Thanks M!

I saw those, and I wish I'd known the problem before i ordered their grease/rebuild kit. I'd have added them to the order. I found a set through Fastenal here in America, but I think they might be fully threaded.

my dish measurements are about like that. .010 or so.

sjd