Enzo or McLaren F1? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Enzo or McLaren F1?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by kizdan, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Enzo or McLaren F1?

1. Enzo

2. McLaren F1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Pretty much. The Enzo's styling to me is gaudy and a little over ther top. It is hard to hold your head high in a crappy car, and even harder in a 'flashy' car that just says you are an insecure attention whore. If it were a peered track environment, I'd say 'maybe another day' but not 'no' like I would on the street.

F40 > Enzo

2. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Ken Okuyama the Enzo's designer said it in 2 interviews, for Foza and another I talked to my cousins in Europe.
    Andy Wallace made those comments about the racing LeMans F1.
    In my family there were some who met Juan Manuel Fangio and from there a great interest started about cars and Ferraris.
    I met and went for a very wild ride with Michele Alboreto in Monte Carlo, in his own 288GTO.

3. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Also it was him who said not to be predicitve and its well clear that we aren't talking about driving like an ashole all over the race track.
    The Dauer Porache 962 did 0-62 in 3.1 seconds and a top speed of 251mph and it was a legal car to drive in Europe but we were talking of "production street cars". If not I would have posted about Norwoods 308/GTO body panel car that did 264mph in the Slat Flats, I know it is not Ferrari powered but the F1 is a BMW motor powered.

4. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Also some of the words or advise of Mr. Alboreto were not to be "Predictive" and the line you already know from him to me and and form me to you all, "just don't hurt yourself" of course this line was said with some humor in a way of a "as if" you could match me.
    I had to do many postings because my ferrari chat is having having some glitches. Salud and adios.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Thank you, Testacojones!!!! That is really all I wanted…the source. I looked it up and you are 100% correct that Mr. Okuyama did indeed say what you reported in Forza #43.

I never said you were incorrect (though I was suspicious of the claim) just wanted to know where you heard this. Let’s face it, this is the internet and there are a lot of false claims ( I have inadvertently made many myself).

As for Wallace’s comments, we are mostly talking about the F1 road cars in this debate, and I think you are quoting his statements about the race cars which were much lighter and had all sorts of other aero decvices. But in any event, anything Andy Wallace says would be relevant given his world class experience.

However, he also had the following to say right after his 240 mph top speed run:

"I still say this is the best car ever built ever, probably will never be beaten." - Andy Wallace, seconds after going 240.14 mph in the McLaren F1 XP5

Maybe I took some of your humor the wrong way!

You post above seemed to be polite, straightforward and CORRECT!!! So let's just forget both our rude comments and move on !!!

Regards,

Jon

6. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    A quick quote from another F1 guy. I read this thought it kinda fit here. This is a interview with Jay Leno,

"R: 3,000-mile road trip. Pick the vehicle and your co-pilot - it can be anyone, from any time or era.

JL: I would probably take the McLaren F1, because that's the greatest car there is! It's unbelievable - the top speed is 241 miles per hour and it's extremely comfortable. The thing that people don't know about the F1, is that unlike an Enzo or some other exotic, the McLaren F1 is totally drivable. It's a road car - it was designed to be a road car from the get-go.

I mean, it's smaller than a Corvette, yet I can hold three people in it and still have room for luggage. It weighs less than a Miata, and it has 627 horsepower. You sit in the center and because you sit in the center, there's enough legroom for drivers or passengers that are seven feet and taller.

It's actually one of the only cars that I drive where I find myself moving the seat a little bit forward before I take off. It's so comfortable, and I find it to be the perfect vehicle because people who know what it is see it and tend to go nuts, and people who don't know about it just don't know about it and leave you alone.

It isn't like the Enzo with a big long nose, where as soon as you're seen it in, you're labeled as the middle-aged guy with "that problem" in his life. The car just looks right, and it drives perfectly - everything about it is just right. There's no wing, there's no spoilers, it just does what it's supposed to do. It has normal road clearance, so when you go over a speed bump or come to a driveway, you're not tearing off half of the spoilers."

http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/8/jay_leno_interview.5.html

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    triXXXter,

Very relevant and that is why it still reins supreme.

Interestingly my wife took one look at the McLaren F1 (real life not pictures) and said to me:

'That is it?, what is all the fuss about?, doesn't do anything for me ...'

Or something like that, and I have to say from looks alone it did not excite me ... but I can understand why now, after reading that interview.

Still rather have an F40 ... not sure why, but I just lust after them ;)

Pete

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Has any other topic produced as many views as this one has? None that I can remember.

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

yes...just recently "why isnt the gallardo selling" .