Enzo - Tamiya vs Kyosho | FerrariChat

Enzo - Tamiya vs Kyosho

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by BLACK HORSE, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I need your opinion on what's a better 1:12 scale red Enzo to get.... Tamiya or. Kyosho? I would like to purchase one soon but not sure which one I should get and please just point out some key facts on each, and please don't tell me to do a search on this site for this topic, I never had any luck doing a search.

Thx
    Rob

2. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
  3. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would go with the Tamiya. You can hear people ***** and moan that it feels light or that the body panels are not metal. Well it is just like on the real car. The Tamiya model is superior in my opinion. As mentioned by NOPASSN you can remove the panels underneath. I have done it mine just out of curiosity and I absolutely loved the detail. Also on the Tamiya's model the wheels are better and more realistic.
    The two models are almost identical but I still think that the Tamiya has a slight edge over the Kyosho.

4. Retro11s

Retro11s Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Just out of curiosity, what would one expect to pay for a black Enzo Tamiya 1:12th?

5. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    If you could find one, and that's a big if at this point, I'd think the very cheapest would be $400... More realistically, probably $500 or more.

6. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I purchased a Tamiya and it looks great.

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I've got around 11 1/12th's and have the Tamiya Enzo and CGT, the only two i have had problems with. Fair enough, detail may be greater but i wouldnt even notice tbh. I dont like the plastic toy feel that Tamiya seem to be implementing but thats just me.
    I would agree about the wheels/tyres on the Kyosho, not being the correct sizes.

8. Retro11s

Retro11s Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    When you say "had problems" are you referring to just the "plastic toy feel" or did you have actually problems with the model itself (i.e., manufacturing defects)?

I just bought my first BBR die cast this past week, having never seen one in person. It is the nicest die cast I own. Having never seen a Tamiya die cast in person, I was wondering how Tamiya compares to BBR? I understand that mine was 1:18 scale and the Tamiya would be 1:12 so detail would be different, but how do they compare quality wise?

I am thinking of taking the plunge on the Tamiya Enzo so I am trying to get as much information as possible beforehand. Thanks for any help..........

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

having scrutinized both... I bought the Tamiya and am very happy.

10. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    If you read through the thread I posted earlier you'll find detail about his problems with the Tamiya - IIRC, the hinges for the engine cover broke on two of them and the 3rd has/had some sort of suspension issue. I was very nervous about it when I got mine, but had zero issues.

11. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes thats more or less correct. I bought from a UK supplier as I felt that buying from my country, it would be easier to deal with any issues easier. Dont get me wrong, I'm not overly fussy but i did experience several issues.

The first arrived, number plate was off, a black plastic bit was lying in the box, the front hood would not close fully and sat up about 2mm from the front, also the hinges didnt break but the rear hood could not open and close properly, once opened it was loose and could be twisted from side to side.

I sent back and this was after paying £500, a massive UK premium :(.

The second arrived and the front right suspension arm was broken so the wheel would just dangle down as though it was going to fall off. I later glued it but it means the wheels can not turn.

I've built models all my life so am very careful. It was just disappointing after spending so much money to experience such problems.

The CGT was a lot better i must admit, the only issue was the rear spoiler didnt close fully on one side so it remains up.

Some folk on here may be bored of this story but i think its important people know, especially if buying from a source abroad.

Hopefully things have improved but i still do not like plastic.

regards,

Matthew

12. baggiolee

baggiolee Rookie

Feb 23, 2005
    the best way to buy the tamiya enzo is through ur local shop...so u can check everything like the suspension etc, and maybe ask the stuffs to assemble for u if they are kind enough...so any problem u can notice them right away and u will not responsible for any breakage during assembly.

13. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    totally agree

14. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
  15. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    I have a question. The few pics I 've seen of the Enzo made by the Kyosho --looks like there is a gap between the hood and the nose. It's almost like the hood cannot completely close. Can someone confirm if that's the case?

16. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thats the problem i had with my first Tamiya Enzo, it stuck up about 3mm. I'd be surprised to see it on a Kyosho since its metal.

17. stryfe101

stryfe101 Rookie

Feb 23, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Gray Smith
    Hey guys,

Here are some on the Yahoo Japan auctions,

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n62232544
    http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h52911899

both of them in black too...

here is the link to the yahoo japan auctions Ferrari plastic model section
    http://list5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084040753-category-leaf.html?alocale=0jp&mode=1&apg=1

now go here....
    http://www.ocn.ne.jp/translation/
    and in the links above the block to translate text click on the second box, then input your link into the http line, and pick the second "dot" above that, and you will have a fairly decent english translation of the pages.

now to get this stuff you'll have to go thru a proxy bidding service... here are 2 good ones I know of

http://www.rinkya.com/index.php
    http://www.mailorderjapan.com/yahoo-auction-japan/index.php

I've personally used mail oder japan in the past and they were good...I used to buy japanese car kits and 240sx related goods from yhj alot, word to the wise though, is it can get expensive with fees and shipping.

Hope this helps though

Gray

18. Dimitar

Dimitar Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2007
    Boston
    Now you are confusing me--does this means that Tamiya is not metal?

19. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    The Tamiya F50 has a die-cast body. The Tamiya Enzo has a plastic body. The Kyosho F40 and Enzo have a die-cast body.

20. Sajed Kazi

Sajed Kazi Rookie

Jan 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sajed Kazi
    Hi,

Just opened my brand new 1/12 yellow Kyosho Enzo, the bonnet has a 2mm gap, won’t close!! Any recommendations on how to repair please? Thanks