Enzo Vs Porsche Carrera GT Vs S7 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Enzo Vs Porsche Carrera GT Vs S7

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    In the CAR mag review of the C-GT , the author cited that Porsche has 1250 of the 1500 cars already sold, but Porsche NA's position on the PCCB problems has been discouraging a lot of potential (long time owners) from getting into another new porsche.

2. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Although the production limit was originally 400 (approx. same as Enzo) The new deal is that Porsche is to produce 1500 Carrera GTs over the next several years.

While that does mean there will be more on the road, it seems to follow the trend lately with Porsche v. Ferrari: Ferrari makes fewer cars and they continue to run themselves into debt while Porsche realizes potential, sells more units, and increases profit. At least Porsche realizes they need to sell some of their "mystique" to remain profitable...

3. 360bambam

360bambam Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    Masarati is crap, just a company ferrari can test stuff with, and then morons go out and buy their cars, they should jsut get a ferrari, there is no point in buying a masarati.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id take the Enzo all the way.

5. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy

James - Wasn't this the case with the F40? As far as I recall, there were F40's being flipped for $800,000 a day after the original sale of $220,000, and for a while, they were topping out at around a mil$ or so. Seems like each Super-Fcar goes through this phase. "Entrepeneurs" rather than enthusiasts.

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Neb
    You're right but those were different days. Everything was being flipped. It is similar but I still think it's surprising. Having seen what happens to million dollar F-40's I don't think it's too hard to figure what's going happen to 1.2 million dollar Enzo's.

7. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Does that mean I'd have a chance to buy an Enzo for near MSRP, like the F40, sometime in the future? :)

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    These are very complex cars. When they are no longer on warantee it's going to be VERY expensive to maintain one. A engine is 200K. Rotors are 20K. If one needs work I think they could sell below MSRP.

9. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I can see it now:

"2003 Ferrari Enzo for sale. Low miles, great condition. Sold with the brakes already converted to NAPA-available parts, so those $80,000 full-brake service bills are gone. Engine has been de-tuned to 400hp, giving you at least 10,000 miles more between $50,000 services. All carbon-fiber panels have been replaced with JC Whitney, Saturn-style plastic panels. If you gott have an Enzo, but can't afford to maintain one, this is for you! A steal at $660,000."

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

11. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Hello All,
    Let me clear the air a bit.
    I am new to this site but not new to the car scene.
    The S7 I believe is very good aerodynamically. They spent a lot of hours in the wind tunnel and for a small outfit like they are that is not bad. Design wise, I personally do not like it but I am sure there is a lot of people who do. Ergonomics are dreadful especially if you are tall. The Maseratti Gt is an Enzo which is prepared for the new GTS class for the Le Mans. Ferrari is concentrating on F1. Maserati needs marketing help so they will run modified Enzo with Maserati badge.
    The car will compete directly in the new GTS class or 'super car class' with Porsche Carrera GT. Rules for the GTS class are changing.
    The Porsche Carrera Gt is a wolf in a sheep skin. Wath out for that car.
    Porsche does not go to Le Mans to play.
    I do not want to spill any secrets but the RED car with a Maserati badge could be in trouble.
    Regards,
    Maximilian
    (I work as an design engineer for motorsport projects for well known Bavarian car company after leaving Porsche being heavily involved with Carrera Gt)

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A piece of car like the s7 does not BELONG ALONG SIDE THE ENZO NOR THE CARRERA GT, the s7 is nothing but a glorified kit car, its like another vector or a noble, fast yes it is , fun I bet it is, a great car I bet it is, but its not in the same caterogy as the Ferrari or the Porsche. I respect the performance but the engine really kills it for me. The motor does the job but its just to much of a good quality car for that mundane motor.

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

That´s not true: Ferrari has been increasing income in latest years. Porsche is a different kind of company. Comparing Porsche and Ferrari is like comparing BMW and General Motors: different volume.

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Going back to the talk about Carrera GT availability, they are still not yet all sold. You can order one now, get it a couple of years at MSRP. I asked a dealer yesterday and he said I would have it by early 2006, I think. I beliebe he said they were 2/3 to 3/4 sold, probably closer to 3/4. So, Napolis, we'll see if they can sell all of them. Answer is probably yes, but they aren't going to go above MSRP on the used market, at least not to the extent of the Enzo.

15. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I believe, like always with the latest toys, that the Carrera GT will sell at a premium in the early aftermarket (say the first year), since there are always those who "have to have it now" and will pay up for the privilege. After the novelty has worn off, and availibility is not an issue, I suspect they will trade at or near MSRP for a time. I believe the US will get roughly half of total GT production. To hedge this bet, I've got one coming in Feb., which I will quickly put in play, and another for fall '05 delivery which I will keep. Let's hope I'm right on my market call, huh!

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Sweet, good luck - the dealers here in NJ have their first ones built and being shipped as you read this.

17. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Id make my own choice, a simple peoples car;) a murcielago. Services arent much more than V8 ferraris, and they can actually be used without insane amounts of guilt. Also smaller exotic car centers can service them, and you still save 400K or so over an Enzo. Still love the enzo, but a grand for an oil change, and no warranty if they dont do it? ha!

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Dynamically, the CGT is a good car, but to me, the looks just arent there, and the interior is way dissapointing. This car will scrape on everything too, and its not fast enough (the new gt2 is creeping up on it actually:() just my .02 cents.

19. CodeRed

CodeRed Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    LALA LAND
    S7=Ugly
    Enzo=Awesome
    Porchse GT=Much better in person
    GT40=Incredible and well proportioned
    Gallardo=Not impresive in person with odd angles

20. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You're right, it does not belong alongside the Enzo and Carrera GT. The S7 has something those do not...WINS! The S7 is head and shoulders ABOVE those cars for now, but they will be large in the mirror shortly.

Anyone who calls the S7 a kit car has no idea what they are talking about. Saleen produces everything in-house, including the engine, and the engineering is simply beautiful, as any race-bred car would be. The only thing the engine has in common with Ford engines is the bore-center dimension. Everything else is Saleen-designed and S7 specific. There have been some teething problems with the street version, but the car is a monster.

I'm not a big fan of the styling and for the money, I'll go with the Carrera GT in a heartbeat. But give the S7 the respect it deserves. It's an amazing achievement and has the racing pedigree and SUCCESS to back it up.

Mark

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mclaren F1

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Have you driven one? Do you think I make this stuff up? I've driven one.
    The ride height, and front overhang are a HUGE problem on NY roads. I've talked to Ferrari about it and am hopefull that they will fix the problem on the Maser/Enzo I'm getting.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Great news !! Do you have any info about it ?

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No only that I asked them if they were going to build a street legal version of the Maser/Enzo race car and they said they were. They said they'd reserve one for me.
    Best

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thats amazing ! I cant wait to see it in 2004 ? 2005 ? ..well just cant wait ! :)

Congrats ! thats one Maserati that will get some serious mileage :)