EPB Failure etc. | FerrariChat

EPB Failure etc.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Robotfixr, Jun 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robotfixr

Robotfixr Rookie

Jan 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    William Bow
    Have the following errors. CST, EPB, Manettino, AVH, Electrical System Failure, Suspension control systemTPMS Start Stop errors. These all happen at the same time. I reset once by just cycling the key. Week later it came back. Now it is permanent. Put new battery in, no change. Connected my scan tool. It seems it might be a can bus error. Any one have experience with fixing can buss on California 2011? Any ideas would be really helpful. Most everything stops working, gas cap, brake, trunk. However, I can use the scan tool and make all these functions work manually. It also runs somewhat rough. I have searched and read most every post on here but nothing seems to match.

2. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Depending on your scan tool, hooking up to the obd2 could cause all those failures. Especially if you are trying to snoop the canbus.
    Every time I plug into my obd2 port, I get multiple errors like that.

The main ecu checks the voltages from each secondary ecu upon startup. If it doesn’t see the voltages it likes, codes are thrown. Also if the canbus is not what it wants, the same thing happens.

You need to clear the codes. Shut the car down, lock the doors and walk away for 10-15 mins. Then restart and the errors will be gone.

Make sure your battery is in good order, otherwise plug in the charger.

3. Robotfixr

Robotfixr Rookie

Jan 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    William Bow
    I am using a Launch x431 and the codes will not clear. I tried my Icarly and Autel. None of them will clear it out. I changed the battery so it is new.

4. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    Then you might just have real errors. Might be time to call Ferrari

5. Robotfixr

Robotfixr Rookie

Jan 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    William Bow
    Have appointment this Thur but thought I would try before.

6. Robotfixr

Robotfixr Rookie

Jan 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    William Bow
    One other note. All the errors I am getting point to a can bus error. Not all modules have the errors. Where can I find a schematic?

7. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    You need the workshop manual with wiring diagrams.

Though I gave yet to find any info on canbus yet. The canbus errors could be from an ecu that has gone bad. If the voltage is off on the ecu, that could cause wired canbus values too.

I had a bad pin on my infotainment canbus module which was throwing weird canbus codes to the head unit. After I fixed the pin, it was then working properly.

695 likes this.
  8. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Before going to the workshop I would check the ground connection, it may have corrosion.

Further, I think it sounds unlikely it is a canbus problem. If not a ground connection issue, then it may be a faulty component, which may be very expensive in man hours. Just as bb2thdr says about his infotainment.

9. Robotfixr

Robotfixr Rookie

Jan 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    William Bow
    Battery ground?

10. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The ground connection to the chassis/frame. I don't know how many there are, but if you remove the drivers side plastic shield in the engine bay, you should be able to see one of them towards the front of the car.

11. Minnesota

Minnesota Rookie

Mar 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Aaron Harkins
    I had the same issue with my 2010 California. A voltage fluctuation can cause a fault with the ECU’s accelerator potentiometer readings, which throws a few cascading codes and puts the car into limp mode until restart. I think this can happen from a bad battery. I replaced the battery a couple of years ago and didn’t have any problems again until recently.

Make sure the clamp on the negative post of the battery is secured. The terminal needs to be pushed all the way on the post before it is locked. If it is not, it will eventually get loose even if it feels tight when you first clamp it on. This can be tricky to do, especially if you don’t remove the air intake first to access it.

Tightening the negative terminal on the battery took care of my latest recurring issue. It seemed loose to the point where it could rotate on the post while still clamped. I think vibrations of the connector were causing voltage issues.

Also remember to do the recommended procedure for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery:

Open the hood, take the key out, close the doors and wait until the back lighting around the volume knob on the radio goes out, which can take 5 to 15 minutes. Don’t open or close any doors or activate anything on the car during this period.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of minutes.

Reconnect the battery and wait one minute.

Open and close the doors, the hood, the trunk and the fuel lid. Lock and unlock the doors and open the trunk with the remote. Open and close the windows all of the way to reset the limits. If you don’t do this, the windows and the remote might not work properly.

Put the key in the “on” position for at least one minute before starting the engine to allow the sensors to calibrate.

Start the engine and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes with everything turned off, including the lights, air conditioner, etc. so the ECU can recalibrate all of the self-adaptive parameters. It might run rough or have a high idle until this occurs.