epoxy paint garage floor OR plastic tile system?? | FerrariChat

epoxy paint garage floor OR plastic tile system??

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bocaf430, Oct 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Need to do the floor in my garage where I keep my F430..... I don't know which is better....epoxy paint or having it done with the plastic tiles? I was thinking a problem with the tiles would be water, dirt etc getting under the tiles... then you would need to lift the tiles to really clean under them once in a while...while with the epoxy painted floor..just mop up or sweep... Anyone here try both ? which is the better choice?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I did RaceDeck and I'm sorry I did. It's not expensive, easy to install and looks cool. But, lots of crap gets under it and between the seams and it's not easy to clean. At some point I plan to redo with professional epoxy system. When looking at epoxy - make sure you look at the high end systems and not the DIY roll on products.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I've had Racedeck, even with the required underlayment the flooring made a fair amount of noise when driven on. The other knock on the tiles is the finish was less attractive than I had hoped. Even after freshly moping it the finish was less than stellar. I've had a high end epoxy put down and I'm impressed by the relative ease of maintenance/appearance. Do know that a glossy epoxy floor will be like a skating rink once it's wet, so do take precautions and mop up any moisture asap.

4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    If I may ask,....why are you limiting yourself to those two options? There are dozens of very attractive ceramic tiles suited for garage floors. Prices are exactly the same as Epoxy, with the added advantage of nearly Zero maintenance, and if you plan to do some wrenching yourself, nothing beats a tile/ceramic floors.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

floor in case you drop a tool or a hammer or oil. just my 0,2 cents. good luck Here is a pic of mine.

TKO and LARRYH like this.
  5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I would think the epoxy floor is more durable... if I drop something on a ceramic tile... it would break.... epoxy floor.. no grout lines no grout to clean... epoxy paint would look cleaner in my eyes...

I'm 360 Canuck and Dave rocks like this.
  6. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I'm not a fan of the race deck style plastic tiles.... I was just seeing if anyone had anything good to say about it....besides the people that sell them lol

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i agree 100% with dave. i wld only use it in a garage that was never going to see water or snow. i ripped it out of my main house and had to leave the garage open for days to air out the stench after power washing it. truly gross. epoxy has been good for 7 years. at my other house i have racedeck because im only there in the summer and its fine since the cars are never wet.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  9. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I have epoxy and I love it. I used Sherwin Williams from the industrial paint line. As others have said, stay away from the Home Improvement store stuff. Most is water based and not very durable. If you are doing epoxy on your own be prepared for a long weekend of work. You need to diamond grind the concrete first then apply primer then paint and then the fleck if you are using that, then the clear. Its a long ordeal because you only have a certain time frame to do each step.
    I went with gray, white and blue fleck and 2 coats of clear. Spills wipe up easily and no staining and a wet mop and bucket once a month makes my Garage look like a showroom. Just one piece of advice would be if you do your own work on your cars then I would forego the fleck and stick to a solid color. Its very hard to find a nut or bolt on the floor with the fleck

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    big red I had that vinyl in my garage at my florida house..... water got underneath and never dried ... was terrible...If you use it..... caulk or silicone the exposed area to the wall so no water can get under .... then it would be ok... beside the water some how getting under mine.... it worked fine was easy to clean..looked good

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    IF I do the epoxy floor which I think I will be.... I wont be doing the work but a epoxy garage floor company will be... so it wont be the home depot off the shelf stuff..... so I think it will last years....

12. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    My company does both types of floors, and we promote epoxy over tiles every time. Its 1000% better in every way. Be warned though if you drop something onto epoxy it could chip too- same as a tile floor.

Eddie.h likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. I have a 5 layer, epoxy mortor system in my shop. Seemless floor - very, very durable. 1/4" thick with urethane top coat

14. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You know I used the Rustoleum professional series in my shop 10 years ago, and then again in my home 4 years ago. The shop gets heavy use but still is working out for how badly it is treated. The home gets limited use and looks like the day I personally applied it. Not one complaint. I am just saying that when correctly done the Rustoleum products are just fine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melons likes this.
  15. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I went with epoxy. I didn't like the noise and the clickety-clack sound that Racedeck and Swisstrax made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Melons likes this.
  16. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Ceramic tile -- well, porcelain tile -- is much, much more durable than epoxy, and it's stronger than your concrete floor. You should be able to find videos on YouTube of a guy taking to his new porcelain garage floor with a sledge hammer to show how tough it is.

At the high end of plastic tiles there's Tuff-Seal PVC tiles, very expensive, but they have a waterproof seal between the tiles that apparently stops any moisture getting underneath.

https://www.advantaflooring.com/tuff-seal/technology/

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I also went with Racedeck so can confirm it's not what its cracked up to be. The fixing clips on the lighter tile colours show through and the static charge I get from it is horrendous. I can see it coming up very soon for an epoxy finish.

Another option is polished concrete. I couldn't go this method as I had a fibre reinforced slab however it does produce nice results.

18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I used porcelain tile. It came out awesome!

LARRYH likes this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I've had epoxy floors for 15 yrs and dropped all manner of items and the floor has never chipped. Guess it depends on what you're dropping and from which height.

20. famb

famb Rookie

May 25, 2007
    epoxy great-have had it 10 years-no peeling-easy to clean

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
  22. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    I've seen some very impressive and beautiful stained concrete floors.......Mr. google brings up lots of pictures.

23. AP328

AP328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Canada
    I am very happy with Racedeck. I have had it in one of our garages since 2004 and it has seen regular winters with no issue. I clean it in the spring and it looks like new again. I have no spalling concrete or other issues that are common in our area. It has worked very well for our application.

24. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Thank you! I appreciate it.

I think I'm going with the expoxy in the spring.

25. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    My new garage was finished by my contractor with Home Depot epoxy floor paint. Not as tough as I would like, but looks nice. I thought of ceramic tiles/ natural stone/ even wood, and think it all hinges on what you're going to do in the garage. If only have a beautiful place to park, lots of options. If car work is involved, then gotta pick from a different column.

I would suggest for the epoxy, get a real good quality material. The stuff my contractor sourced is like C, maybe C+.

Shame cause be a serious project to redo.