ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

ESPN/ABC will use SKY broadcast!

Discussion in 'F1' started by trumpet77, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    vinuneuro likes this.
  2. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Who does the commentary?

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    no idea at this moment Vig.

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Not available to the continental U.S. crowd, currently...

5. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Esp2 listing shows practice 3, followed by encore of Azerbaijan gp then qualifying
    Me likey

6. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    For New York tri-state viewers only, be aware that it appears the local ABC affiliate here in the metropolitan area is going to preempt the coverage of the Canadian Grand prix tomorrow...with a parade (12-4 pm, per my Optimum cable guide). I am going to double check when the time comes...but I suspect the local affiliate has the ability to cut in with their own programming. I prefer to watch on my TV...not on a computer, so I am probably SOL.

TV schedule per ESPN's site
    http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/22757407/espn-reveals-f1-tv-broadcast-schedule-2018

On the Grid - Sunday, June 10, 1.30PM, ABC
    Race - Sunday, June 10, 2.00 PM, ABC

7. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Northern New Jersey Cablevision customers can get race on channel 110 at 2 PM. At least according to on-line Optimum program listings for tomorrow.

Program listing on Optimum guide shows local programming (Puerto Rican Day parade I think) on ABC tomorrow afternoon during the race window.

8. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    Hobacks427...thank you!!! Looks like my cable provider has the race on 110 as well, here in the Hudson Valley. Glad I posted, otherwise I never would have found it.

Joe

9. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah... airing at 1:30 on channel 110 here on Long Island too.

10. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    We had the same parade on ABC, and the race was on some other ABC network called Live Well or something like that.

11. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    I must say, as a early apprehensivist, I am genuinely pleased by, not only the scope but the depth of the new coverage
    Knowledgeable commentary with actual drivers
    Every session from practice one through the race
    Innovative graphics and limited to no commercials, thanx to mother's products for that
    I've nothing to complain about

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    These guys YELL and SCREAM just as much as the old team. Their true colors were waving brightly today in the commentary.

No improvement at all.......

They just need some of us FChat guys to get on their and have a run at it, be much more lively for sure!!

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I agree. My only beef is Will Buxton did a much more energetic and informative grid walk. But the play-by-play and the commentary is much better than I had expected. Some see a Lewis Hamilton bias, but I don't. Of course, I actually like Lewis Hamilton. I think he'd be a champion Ferrari driver, but it won't happen.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread or not but replays of each Grand Prix are available
    on YouTube in highlight package form and full race.

This has come in handy as I missed a couple of the races and can catch up easily with them once they're
    posted.

As I've been watching the live streaming of the SKY broadcasts for a couple of years now, I'm used to
    the team and "Crofty" getting overly excited and, let's face it, a bit loud.

But comparing this to what we in the U.S. had to endure with Leigh Diffey's brand of commentary, it's
    a 100% improvement. All I had to do was watch the Mid-Ohio Indy Car race on NBCS yesterday to
    be reminded how far things have come. They could easily kick Diffey out of the booth and let
    Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell do the commentary as most, if not all, of what Diffey offers is
    completely disposable.

BHW

thirteendog, tifoso2728 and 375+ like this.
  15. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    In response to the email I sent Mothers.

Hello,

Thank you very much for letting us know of your positive experience with the 2018 Formula season so far. The response to the commercial-free airing of the race has been over-the-top. After the Australian Grand Prix, we knew something had to change. Fortunately, ESPN is a great partner, and was eager to look at and adjust the broadcast to create a truly immersive experience. Our hope is to continue the season in this new format, giving the U.S. a fresh and exciting way to watch Formula 1 racing.

Thank you again for your support and kind words, but more importantly thank you for being a Formula 1 fan.

Sincerely,

Dennis Holloway
    CEO
    Mothers Polishes Waxes Cleaners

E60 M5 and tifoso2728 like this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Excellent. I hope that F1 enthusiasts will support Mothers and buy their products...T

vinuneuro likes this.
  17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Good idea!! I will send an email as well and let them know I appreciate commercial free and I use their products.

18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    SKY Network... Are you listening.... Bring back Will Buxton PLEASE!!!!!

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Getting rid of Croft would be a huge improvement. That guy guy never shuts up. He must be in love with the sound of his voice.

Of course, Sky doesn't give a flip about the U.S. audience, I'm sure.....

20. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Please brundle looked lost this week
    And the girl who asks the dumb questions
    "What will you do today to win?"
    Umm drive fast

E60 M5 likes this.
  21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Natalie Pinkham? As far as I'm concerned, she should do the entire grid walk.

Apparently Will Buxton works for the official F1 broadcast team.

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My wife and I can’t stand the Sky coverage. One guy is screaming and way over excited. Stop talking! And the pre-race grid walk is painful to watch... is everyone avoiding him to make him look like a fool? It’s working. We’re ready to give up on F1.

TexasF355F1 and E60 M5 like this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    My observations:

"Crofty" does use an excitable voice at the start or when something interesting happens. To me, that's no big deal. If fact, it's kind of fun. Martin Brundle is an excellent "expert analyst" during the race. I also enjoy his anecdotal observations from remote locations around the circuit on practice days. But, you quite rightly point out that his grid walk is painful! He asks embarrassing questions. Will Buxton was much superior in that role.

I loved Hobbs, Matchett and Varsha, so I was fully prepared to not like this crew. But, after a few commercial free race broadcasts, I think these chaps are cricket!
    Might I point out that it helps to have had some exciting races this season?

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Skyguys never STFU. It's like Phil Spector's wall of sound...As soon as one pauses to take a breath another starts yammering on.

Pro tip: Sometimes it's better to just let the pictures and sounds do the talking.

TexasF355F1 and E60 M5 like this.
  25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Brundle does do interesting track analysis. Yet his 1:1 driver interviews/drives like the one with Ricciardo came off flat and boring.
    I'm also not a fan of the live interviews with Horner, Brown, and others during the race. They don't say anything... and I don't expect them to say anything meaningful about strategy or how the car is doing. Again, flat and boring.
    And I also liked the Hobbs, Matchett, Varsha, Buxton team. I had high hopes for Sky because of positive comments when comparing to NBC.
    Cars are too quiet, announcers too loud and chatty, so we FF much of the race. Sad.