ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers) | Page 7 | FerrariChat

ESPN / Sky coverage (spoilers)

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Mar 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    We're on the second GP of the season and they're already speculating about Ricci and asking McLaren about their driver lineup for next year. ?????

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Just media trying to generate drama.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I have Direct TV Now through a Roku. Using the Beta which now has a DVR capability. However, it only records the allotted time shown in the guide. Recorded & watched practice & qualifying yesterday. Ends of both got chopped off. No way to add additional recording time. Not happy.

Had to find out qualifying results online which I had scrupulously avoided all day on my phone at work to avoid spoiling it. Should've just spoiled it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Just record the program after,... today I have highschool cheerleading recorded as it follows the race. When my wife notices that on the DVR she'll be WTF... you perv!

5. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Do they extend the coverage if things run long or do they switch to the next show at the time the guide has listed?

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Don't know. I suspect the answer is ... "It depends"

If the race is over but they cut short the podium / interviews,... they may not extend. (likely)

If the race isn't over,... hopefully they would continue.

7. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    This never would've occurred to me. Thanks for the solution.

8. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Not too bad today. I guess I'm getting used to the kind of banter this crew uses. Also, kudos to ESPN2 (and Mother's) for going commercial free the whole way. So, a step in the right direction.

9. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep, getting better, still have some homework to do.

Sharknose likes this.
  10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love their graphics and today's race had no commercials, awesome.

And it's fun to hear the pro Hamilton commentators. Hehe. :)

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That was much better than the 1st race. It was a good broadcast.

wiley355 likes this.
  12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Still can't hold a candle to the NBC coverage. You got so much more insight from Matchet and Hobbs.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow commercial free. Maybe no one wants to advertise on F1!

14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    NBC coverage WAS NOT good in my opinion. Hobbs was [and is] a very knowledgeable and entertaining man, Matchet I can do without.

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Point taken. However, I prefer to think that ESPN, having royally screwed up race 1, gave up some commercial money in the hopes of some goodwill toward the fans? Maybe . . ??

16. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    overall, I preferred the coverage the last several years as compared to this year. The coverage I've seen on DirecTV (SKY/ESPN) has missed a lot of the telecast at either the beginning or end of either practice, qualifying or the race, and the current announcers talk too fast and talk over each other. And I miss all the commentary in studio after the events, as well as the grid walk with Will Buxton. How can we petition to get the former team to present the broadcast?

17. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Maybe they actually listened to the viewers after Australia.

Thanks to Mother's for the uninterrupted coverage! Pirelli should do the same since they get two hours of free advertising for their schiddy tires.....

18. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But you also don't get to see actual passing because the passes always happen when commercials are on.
    I like this new format where I actually get to see the whole race.

19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Thank you ESPN. Much improved.

wiley355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

yuuuup, I would switch over to UniMas (they did'nt show the Bahrain 2018 race) as they ran commercial free in years pass. They showed the Australia 2018 race.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a feeling ESPN went commercial free this week because last week was such a disaster. I can't imagine they will keep up with the no commercials considering their dire financial straights. You may have missed passing live on NBC, but they always showed anything of interest on replay when they returned.

I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but I so much preferred the entire NBC gang and their pre and post race shows.

newark_308 likes this.
  22. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    I enjoyed the commercial-free coverage, thanks ESPN (and Mothers)!

23. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Found the race afterwards on the ESPN app, so enjoyed the no commercials as well. To me the sound mix is bad, with enough car noise that I can't hear the announcers clearly. This might my TV, or my hearing isn't the greatest, or that as a US speaker I don't focus in on the Brit accents as well, but I still think they could balance the volume of cars VS. voices much better.

Agree with the comment above that I'm still adjusting to the style of banter, and enjoy all the discussions of pit strategy today, and their observation that Hamilton must have been running in a lower engine mode when his team asked him to turn it up...and the announcers pointed out that the team must have had some telemetry issues since they should have already known what engine mode HAM was in.

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Going commercial free solved the problem of the live broadcast with no commentary. If ESPN is just going to broadcast the feed and not have their own staff explain what is going on, this makes the most most sense.

But my feeling is it won't last.

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nothing at all wrong with ESPN's presentation of the Bahrain Grand Prix as broadcast by SKY.

As usual, the SKY commentary is by far and away in another class from NBC Sports'. The driver commentators
    are guys who've actually been in the cockpit within the last three generations with Paul de Resta very much in the
    frame for the Williams ride this year and Nico Rosberg joining later in the season.

How anyone may lament the departure of NBC Sports is beyond me. Complaining that the SKY presenters are
    all English and not understandable, a complete cop out. Hobbs (English) was five decades removed from the cockpit, always
    a colorful character and beloved, he deserves a long healthy retirement. Matchett (English) was three decades removed
    from being a pit mechanic, he knew tires (boy did he know his tires) but his act was wearing thin. Diffey. Rather
    than putting Diffey on a leaky boat back to Australier, NBC put him in the booth for their Indy Car coverage at
    Phoenix. Gads!

The real difference in the broadcast team quality is that SKY's team are actually at the events rather than
    squirreled up in a studio in Connecticut somewhere. This lends a great sense of place to each event. I've
    opted for SKY's live streaming coverage now for about three years rather than having to listen to Diffey
    harp on and on and I personally know guys who'd watch the UNIVISON broadcast rather than having to
    put up with Diffey's antics.

And remember, a lot of what we're seeing is being directed by the host broadcaster. SKY has no control over
    the images coming from the world feed while the races are on. They all get the same picture and sound so
    its the level of commentary that makes the difference.

BHW