ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018 | FerrariChat

ESPN takes over broadcasting in 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by itschris, Oct 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/20912083/espn-secures-us-formula-one-rights-2018

I'm not sure how I feel about this. While I'm not a fan of NBC's coverage... I don't believe they actually control the footage we receive. That's the world feed...correct?

I like Matchet, Hobbs, and Diffy... it's a good mix of knowledge and fan for the commentary. I'm not a fan of ESPN at all, however. I'm sure they'll find a way to inject their liberal politics into their coverage. The only thing good that might come out of it is more coverage and more options to watch.

2. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Interesting development, I really like Hobbs and Matchett, could do without Diffey, hopefully they bring back Bob Varsha.

aawil likes this.
  3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The new Commercial director of F1 Sean Bratches used to work for ..ESPN.What a coincidence eh?

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So long to live broadcasts. ESPN will run them delayed.

6. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not true. ESPN has committed to LIVE broadcast as noted in the aritcle

hairy_scotsman likes this.
  7. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yikes. Unless the sport has a ball in it, I don't think ESPN knows what to do with it.

tazz99 likes this.
  8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They used to broadcast F1 back in the day. I think it could be good... I just don't know. Depends on the announcers they choose and if they decide to interject political commentary like they've been doing. Hopefully they'll stick to sports. I doubt the Matched and the guys can come to ESPN because they have contracts with NBC... so that will be a big determining factor of how well it goes. Most people like Matchet and Hobbs and what they're able to contribute so we'll see who steps in.

Does anyone know anything regarding the actual feed? What they broadcast or what they're able to broadcast comes from f1 themselves correct so there's not much to be done there I'm assuming.

ricksb likes this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Good riddance to NBCS.

Please keep the current NBC team of Diffey, Hobbs and Matchett out of the broadcast room. Bring in new
    blood, perhaps someone who's taken part in an F-1 race in the last decade (or two) might help.

ANYONE but Diffey!

BHW

NeuroBeaker and dflett like this.
  10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'll hold out to comment, but we'll see what happens. F1 on ESPN could be interesting. I like that they say they're going to broadcast every practice session.

I can already see posters bitching about not being able to find it though lol.

11. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I just want ad free, paid for, online access to the live feed. Don't care about commentary just want to see the damn race uninterrupted.

I almost get it for live races via unimas but I have to suffer NBC for qualifying and practice

Robb likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It doesn't even matter...there's no reason to watch F1 anymore. It's boring and not worth waking up early on Sundays to watch.

13. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Time for a change. NBC has been horrid for several years.

While I like Hobbs,… his experience is so far removed, it's time for him to be replaced with someone with more recent and relevant experience. Hobbs last F1 race was 1974. Hobbs hasn't been in F1 of 43 years. Has Hobbs ever driven a race car with a button on the steering wheel besides for a horn?

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Danica Patrick will have her new job now! :)

PC ESPN can't live with 3 guys talking about cars anymore.

Danica can tell us about all her F1 experience -- try to get a ride.

E60 M5 likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #15 TheMayor, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Its hard to argue with this. Ferrari has just completely screwed up F1 by being so incompetent for years now. No one wants to see the same guy on pole every week and winning nearly every race.

I refuse to believe Mercedes is that much better for all these years. What I believe is Ferrari just isn't that strong and when it gets close, it finds a way to screw up everything somehow.

Add to that ugly cars, ugly exhaust notes, stupid rules and boring tracks and you get what you get.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh lord. She's so annoying to look at and listen to.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

ESPN has to have women in telecasts now. In baseball they have a woman in the booth with 2 guys. I'm like -- are you kidding? You couldn't find a guy who played major league baseball for 20 years to give us his perspective?

E60 M5 likes this.
  18. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Positive development, IMO.

NBC's coverage was trash. Personally I wasn't too impressed with F1 coverage getting bumped to a news channel for the Tour de France.

Plus hopefully this means no more Will Buxton. Fingers crossed.

19. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    So next year I have to deal with Halo's AND ESPN? ...I don't like either one :(

20. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    NBC Sports feels like an outlier...more fit for cycling and curling than mainstream sports. From that aspect, I think ESPN will be more engaging. Also, ESPN's Facebook F1 profile is very active (if not a little controversial) so there seems to be some skin in the game from that standpoint. I grew up watching F1 on ABC sports and later ESPN before Fox, then Speedvision, took over.

I somewhat agree with those who skewer the sport. Like most media-driven enterprises, F1 feels too contrived and absent of the organic energy one should feel from competitive motor racing. I don't know how they get that back. Maybe we're all just older farts now and complain like the grumpy ones did in the 80's and '90's. At some point, advertising and media influence is seen for what it is...deceitful and agenda-driven. If "the show" becomes all about media appeal and not the event itself, I think this is just what happens.

21. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    They aggressively court the female viewer because that's the crux of purchasing power. More female viewership= more advertisers and advertising $$.

Very contrived....

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Oh I know. They've been going down this PC rabbit hole for a while now.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The feeds are ususally produced by FOM, and "sold" out to national broadcasters. they used to allow the local national broadcaster to do the TV but that ended a long while ago. SKY, BBC, NBC, RAI, etc.. all can send their own teams on site ( for a cost to F-1 ) or you can purchase content from FOM.

as for NBC contracts, I think those are usually able to be broken if the content is lost. so if F-1 goes they cant preclude the guys from leaving... as then they would usually have to pay them as well, for doing nothing.

I do hope that Bob V makes it back, but Will Buxton needs to go... he was so irritating on the grid the last race... calm down. we need to get someone like Martin Brundle, or Damon Hill ... who knows what they are talking about. I'd love if they could bring Jackie Stewart in for color commentary like back in the 80's... but that will never happen.

ricksb likes this.
  24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that Fox would have been a better choice, but if they put everything on FS2 - which I can't get - than maybe I'll be glad they didn't get it.

I have no trouble with any of the announcers, because I remember the bad old days of no broadcasts and no announcers, and I'll take anyone over that.

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    nsxrebel, schumacherf2006 and 375+ like this.