Essential Dino Tools for the Road. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Essential Dino Tools for the Road.

Discussion in '206/246' started by Kliz, Mar 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Yep!
    You'd be surprised at all the other "non-essential" tools I cram into that spare tire well. I'd never do it in the "wild" but add a 17mm open-end and I could "drop" the engine. That would be a nightmare but I do know of a 356 owner that did just that! I'm told that this guy (now deceased) carried enough parts to rebuild a 356 engine on a picnic table. No matter where it broke he was prepared to fix it.
    Bill

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

You are probably aware of it, but Flat Fix is a chemical placed into the tire through the shrader valve. Allegedly it will seal a flat by filling in the hole, although a reputable tire man has told me that it will destroy the tire by eating out the inside and tire shops will not patch a tire that has had Flat Fix in it.

You can buy an inexpensive plug kit and a small compressor to accomplish the same. I'm an avid SCUBA diver so I have a 19 CU pony tank (fire extinguisher size) and shrader valve adapter that works great for filling tires.

Freeman - is your cell phone absent of a camera?
    Load the Ferrari People/Workshops phone numbers in the cell phone's Contact List and don't forget the phone's wall charger as Dinos do not have a normal cigarette lighter...

Scott

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Flat-Fix is for emergencies. Good enough for OEM's like Mercedes, Ferrari and Porsche to have in the car instead of a spare. If I was stranded in the middle of a busy highway in the middle of nowhere I would use it in a flash plus most early Ferraris have tubes. It also gives you an extra spare tire in case you already used the one in your car on the way. You fix the tire at the first opportunity. Of course a flat kit and compresser is ideal if the conditions are safe. A list of Ferrari/Porsche friends with their numbers and addresses is invaluable when traveling. I prefer a hard copy but when you're in the middle of nowhere I'll take what I can get. Yes, my cell phone has a camera(great for emailing the shots) but a disposable camera is a good cheap reliable thing to keep in the glovebox.

Freeman

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    For those unbelievable shots of Tom pushing the barn find to the flatbed?
    Chuckle...

5. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Thanks everyone for the input!
    I will take this info and attempt to put together a "12 Essential tools" kit for a Dino. Sounds like none of you have had any "serious" on-the-road problems. That's good to know!
    Happy Driving!
    Bill

6. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Have had a Dino for 19 years and 184,000 miles. Here is what I carry. Have used all over the years.
    Flashlight 2-D cells
    Cheap multimeter
    2 ea of combination wrenches from 6 to 22 mm. My wife made up two cloth roll packs. 6 to 12 mm and 13 to 22 mm.
    1/4 and 3/8 drive metric socket set with all adapters from 1/4 to 1/2 and back, 3" and 6" extensions for both size sockets, 1/4" hand driver, 1/4" universal.
    Metric Allen socket wrench set
    6"Crescent wrench (brand name is significant on this and 2 following)
    6" Vise Grip plier
    6" Channel Lock plier
    6" diagonal cutter
    Phillips(1-3) and Straight(1/8, 1/4, 3/8) screwdriver set, 6" shafts
    Spark plug socket w/6" extension and separate 3/8" rachet
    1/2" breaker bar and matching hub bolt socket
    Fan belt
    Honda scissor jack. (save the Dino jack for when you sell the car)
    Jack the car from the frame rails in back or in front. Car absolutely will fall off Dino jack, sooner or later, and you will curse, or worse.

Good Luck
    John