Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    true, the 2 years I campainged the RX8 through Nationals and Runoffs were almost break even after the cash from Mazda and tires from Hoosier. however, just something about racing a Ferrari and it gives FerrariChat good exposure.

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That is a lot of $.

What does the $25k get you? ( no hotel, food and plane tickets...).

Gas, entry fee and ?

Do you have to pay a yearly fee or can you just race per week end ?

How many races per year ?

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    www.ferrarichallenge.com

in order though... correct, part of $25k, you don't have to do all, 6-7 I think.

4. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    cool, thanks. i'd agree, even at 3350# and smaller tires at a guess i would think it would dominate.

yup.

5. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    You can do one or all races is you wish (Challenge)

The F430C has just recently become eligible for SCCA

Tucker will test the 360 against the 430 to see which is the best option for SCCA.

$25K a weekend gets you entry, hospitality (at track which is spectacular - done by Premier Services out of Grapevine TX), Set of rains, set of slicks (any tires other than the free set are purchased by the driver) Not sure how tech and transportation (for the car) are included yet. Pretty sure that is an additional expense from your club or dealership. Plane tickets, hotel, and rental cars can either be handled by you or your club/dealer.

6. uss tt

uss tt Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2006
    GMT-6

....I, like ChallengeHauler, am a crew member for the Boardwalk Ferrari Challenge Team. We both are also friends with the "rookie sensation" (direct quote from Ferrarichallenge.com) Steve Hill, #33.... he originally was going to try to run his Challenge Car in both SCCA and FC, so he spent a great deal of time with SCCA in KS. The end result was this: Yes, you can run your 430CH in T1 in 2009, but you will have to add 300lb of ballast, run 360 wheels/tires and BRAKES. Other than the obvious stress and exposure to running in two series, the changes to the car were not deemed worth it in the end. Challenge Series it was/is...

...and Rob, I got a giggle out of your statement earlier about Steve being a driver "enjoying retirement"....thank you VERY much for that, such good material for me (Steve and I have been close friends for a long time)....now, I know you are aware that he isn't in retirement, far from it, as you ran into him on Saturday at MSR for the Driver's Edge DE...just thought I'd let you know I enjoyed your comment!

_ND

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As I emailed you I wasn't at the DE DE at MSR. I actually haven't talked to Steve in over 5 years. I'm not sure what he's doing these days, what I'm saying is he didn't run karts 2 years ago, formula ford last year, and running Challenge Series to move up to F1 next year. He may not be old, but he is a VERY talented "old" shoe that is doing this for fun because he has the time and money, not using this as a stepping stone.

8. uss tt

uss tt Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2006
    GMT-6

as we discussed via email....thanks for setting me straight on who it was he talked to :)...and....I agree...he is not using this series as a stepping stone....it is for pure entertainment value, he is defnitely getting his money's worth, having an absolute blast. That's what it is really all about in the end, isn't it? No matter what you chose to do, be it: DE, Member Day, SCCA, NASA, or any other various form of club racing...as long as you get to the track and drive SOMETHING like you stole it....the common thread exists, and has much in common with one another....

9. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wow. Cant believe Ive missed this thread and missed it for several weeks.

Cost. Costs have gone up since. I paid dealer $15k a weekend, FNA about 4k depending on venue. Additional 4k in extra tires and spares. 2k ish for travel.

My cost for 2000 was about $200k. 2001 was over $400k due to a blown engine and someone wiping me out at Watkins Glen.

Drivers in the Challenge series. Don't follow it now that well. Back in 2000 - 2001 the best drivers were all basically pro drivers. Several raced in many different pro series. They would have done well at any SCCA/NASA run event.

Europe has always had much better drivers than us. The Italians are nuts in particular. When I was at the world Finale in Mugello in 2000, there was a German who died in a Challenge car and so all Germans parked their cars. I can't tell you how much better they were but the rest of the European field was comparable to the US grid. I had 1 race with French/Dutch/Spanish/Japanese drivers and finished 5th in that race. Italians are a whole different story.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep... Steve Earle, Matt Drendel... etc. however, there is a difference between those talented drivers racing pro events and the type of drivers you see come out of karting, Porsche factory hires, and the 2nd and 3rd place drivers from Renault/F3 that are 5 hundredths from making a F1 ride.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Let's not rehash this old argument, shall we?

CW

12. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Actually I was thinking of Lucio Nicalodi and Darius Grala. Doug Peterson has done very well too. But I was only thinking of how well they have done or would have done in NASA or SCCA Nationals/Pro races and not turning them into F1 drivers

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    there is no argument, Steve Earle & Matt Drendel /= Patrick Long etc...

there is bad, OK, good, great, and legendary.

road racers often get their talent exaggerated and confused with their pocket books.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Except for the fact you can't VIEW the Challenge as comparable to a stepping-stone series. It is NOT where drivers who have aspirations go. Those with massive talent at a young age don't go into the Challenge. First, it's expensive. REALLY expensive, and most starting out don't have that kind of bankroll. And, if they did, they'd be in open wheel cars getting noticed, because that's their objective and where it could happen. Second, it's where guys who have a lot of money and want to have FUN go, yet be competitive with others and themselves. It's not a job. It's not the difference between eating and starving. That's not how you develop nascent talent, though, or instill a sense of urgency into developing drivers.

However, none of this diminishes the argument that IF some of these drivers had good talent, started at the age of 6 or 8 in karting and moved up in the ranks, they might have developed the talent to have professional careers. Just because they may have had other, better and/or more lucrative careers and chose that path (as opposed to one in which they're laser-focused on getting a professional ride from the time they were a sperm), doesn't mean they don't have talent. But, all this has been said, and I don't expect that you'll see any "legendary" drivers come from the ranks of the Challenge series. Ever.

CW

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree 100%! What were we arguing about? :)

16. RPM

RPM Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    a little self absorbed in my opinion..
    and i completely agree with Rob..

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have my opinions, but I need to 100% vouch for Dan. I have hung out with Dan a few times Indy, Boston, and Montreal. Dan has also been a long time moderator on FerrariChat. Dan is anything but self absorbed, the nicest and most modest guy in the world considering his accomplishments as a businessman, person, racer, and car collector.

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    :) Thanks.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't like everyone, but you are OK. ;)

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow. I just saw this. Rob, if I had the dough (which I don't. I can't even do SB any more.), I'd do FC in a heartbeat.

What's not to like for a over-50 fat guy? I'd get to race against guys who have more to lose than I do, instead of young punks who think that living is for sissies. I'd hire Risi Racing so I'd get to feel like a real race car driver, even though I'm not. Best of all, I'd get to race a Ferrari on some of the best tracks in the world. (Even if you're not driving, you should attend the Challenge and Historics races at Mt. Tremblant. It doesn't get much better than this.)

Unfortunately, my net worth doesn't allow for such a fantasy and probably never will. But, I don't begrudge those who do. In fact, when I was at Montreal, I found the FC race more fun to watch than the F1. (It didn't hurt that Dr. Earle won.)

Dale

21. Forexpreneur

Forexpreneur Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alexander Everhart
    I love the Ferrari Challenge. It is awesome to see all the cars pretty much the same. Come on, a full field of Ferrari's. How awesome is that? ;)

22. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    The Season Championship Entry Package is a comprehensive package that enables a driver to score and accrue Series Championship points. The cost for this package is $26,000 US, which includes entries into four (4) races as well as the items below.

You may add a 5th and/or 6th race for an additional $4,000 US per race and will then be entitled to score points in those races as well.

* Championship fee (enables drivers to earn series championship points)
    * Fuel (per series regulations)
    * Pirelli Tires (per series regulations)
    * Ferrari Challenge memorabilia
    * Trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd finishing positions
    * Special race, season and year-end awards
    * Two (2) VIP Hospitality Package passes to each race: one (1) for the driver and one (1) for a guest.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's not anywhere even close to what it takes to run the Ferrari Challenge series. Take this amount which just goes to Ferrari and times it by at least 5-10 for the total.

24. cgh1

cgh1 Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Chuck Hawks
    Spot on Rob.
    That $26K basically just gets you on the registration list (entry fees, fuel & tires) but does NOT include the car, its maintenance, repair, prep, etc. etc., much less all the other expenses that people who've not been in racing rarely or don't think about:
    Travel & lodging for all involved, as well as meals
    Transport for the car and crew equipment

I could go on, but the gist is clear... $26K is an ante, then you really start to play.
    :)

Cheers & C U @ d'Track!!
    C

Chuck Hawks,
    Pro-Driver, Coach, Instructor & Facilitator
    DreamsFulfilled, LLC & rEvolution Performance Driving System ©

25. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Last season I was thinking about buying a friends 430CH and race the series. It seemed doable until I was quoted $25,000 per race from FNB to drag the car out to the race plus having to pay for all of the damages that the crazy drivers in the series do to each others cars (some of these drivers literally are crazy!) I figured it would cost about $500,000 per year not counting the purchase of the car.