Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Matt LaMotte, Apr 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Last season I was thinking about buying a friends 430CH and race the series. It seemed doable until I was quoted $25,000 per race from FNB to drag the car out to the race plus having to pay for all of the damages that the crazy drivers in the series do to each others cars (some of these drivers literally are crazy!) I figured it would cost about $500,000 per year not counting the purchase of the car."

That's why I've avoided the series.

2. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

For that money, you could do some real racing in a proper series.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    +1,000

For $1,000 a weekend you can get better racers and racing. NASA ST series.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is that a good estimate of running costs in NASA (including engine/brake/gearbox,etc maintenance costs)?

430 challenge cars are going to be flooding the market when the 458CH debuts...

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "is that a good estimate of running costs in NASA (including engine/brake/gearbox,etc maintenance costs)?"

Heavens no, I'm sure Rob didn't mean the all-in weekend cost is $1000; Rob, b-mak, mousecatcher and others (and I) all race enough to be painfully aware of the costs. In many SCCA/NASA/PCA etc classes, for example, you'll need a fresh set of tires every weekend to be competitive. DOT race tires for big sedans will cost over $1000/set. 100 unleaded fuel is what, $8 a gallon now (I try not to look)? Just a couple examples.

I completely agree with b-mak's, and Rob's, point about racing value. Our perspective clearly is very different from that of Challenge sries participants but, if they're having fun, that's all that really matters.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ^^^thanks, thought that number seemed low...

7. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    When I was racing Spec Racer Fords a few years ago, I totalled costs for a few weekends, and for places like Mid_Ohio or The Glen it was somewhere in the $3-5K range per weekend when it was all said and done.

MB

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My typical weekend is about $1,000. The average is higher of course.

$350 entry fee
    $100 gas
    $100 food
    $0-800 tires
    ---
    $550 to 1,350 is typical

NASA ST has tire contingencies with Hoosier among others, the days of 8 free tires a weekend are over, but you can still get 2-4 free tires a weekend. These are $400 tires each, either the DOT R A/R6's or R80/100 slicks. I can run slicks in ST. Rears only last a weekend, but fronts can last 2-3 weekends.

Additional typical expenses.

$400 for out of town races more gas and hotel
    $100 mount & balance set of tires

Additional yearly expenses.

$300 set of pads every 3-4 weekends
    $1200 set of rotors every 2 years
    $6000 major every 4 years
    $10000 top end every 8 years
    complete rebuild every? (haven't needed one of these yet)

The key is the tire contingency as that's your biggest expense hit if the car is reliable. With that it really is close to $1,000 a weekend.

When I raced the RX8 it was close to zero cost and some weekends I made money. My contingencies were 4 new Hoosiers and $1200 cash from Mazda a weekend. Mazda also paid me for the Division Championship and going to Runoffs. The RX8 major cost was the depreciation between everything I put into it and what I sold it for. That was about a $20k difference and I raced that car about 25 weekends.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Did you do everything 100% yourself or arrive & drive support?

I don't blame club racers that spend $3-5k a weekend, but it isn't required if you do all the work yourself and work the contingencies.

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I do both--I have a paid crew AND work the contingencies!

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #111 WCH, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    "$300 set of pads every 3-4 weekends
    $1200 set of rotors every 2 years
    $6000 major every 4 years
    $10000 top end every 8 years
    complete rebuild every? (haven't needed one of these yet)"

Outstanding, Rob, DIY works! Those numbers are so good they're hard to believe, never come close to that in any formula car, sports racer or sedan I've raced. 2 year rotors? Wow. Is that the 355C?

Hoosier contingencies certainly help.

Probably the makings of an interesting new thread about the cost of amateur racing. Racing at the front in, say, SCCA's Atlantic, or DSR classes, couldn't be done at those prices. I don't think you could do spec racer ford at those costs - at least, if you want to win.

Don't you think you've gotten your numbers unusually low?

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FA and SR are probably the two most expensive SCCA classes out of 30+. It falls off steeply down to Production and GT cars where you can tinker and spend what you want for little advantages or Showroom or Touring where there isn't much tinkering or experimenting, but buying new cars every few years to get the latest flavor makes it expensive.

I find many racers spend a lot of money, but not because they have to. They spend a bunch of money because they can and there are plenty of racing companies to accept the money. $500k Renegades, 2-3 person crew (or arrive & drive), farming out complete build of your car, buying 3-4 sets of everything for comparison tests or spares, and rebuilding engine to keep at a 99% level.

A bunch of dumb money gets thrown at racing, 75% of your results aren't because of your wallet, but certainly to reach the top of Runoffs you need both the wallet AND talent. I was happy to win Division Championships and just make a couple Runoffs Top 10's as a $1,000 a weekend racer. Disappointing not to be even better, but somewhat satisfying to consistently beat big budget racers. 2006 Runoffs my old Toyota Tundra and open trailer was paddocked between a Renegade and 18-wheeler of fellow Touring competitors.

I won't put down people that have the money to have big amateur budgets, but then don't put me down for doing well on a fraction of the budget. My numbers are spot on for weekend to weekend costs, but for the life of a race car adding up every little penny I guess the weekend averages would be $750 for Spec. RX7, $2,000 for RX8 (mainly depreciaiton from new car), and $2,500 for 355 C (mainly for engine rebuilds).

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "but then don't put me down for doing well on a fraction of the budget"

Not putting you down, complimenting you - sorry if that was unclear!!! I have been an arrive and drive princess for many years now, but I completely agree with everything you say about expense vs value in racing. Most gurus aren't. Often cars are poorly setup, prepped, etc., but just as often there's 3-5 secs a lap in the driver. People rely on money because relying on driving is hard.

As for touring and GT - at least in SCCA - GT2/GT1 and ST/STO at the national level can be expensive. I don't see many GT3 cars.

Will you be in SCCA next year? Plan to run the 430C in STO and a 996 Cup Car in GT2, hope to see you out there.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A 430 C is a great car for SCCA T1, there aren't any other classes in SCCA good for the other Ferraris. NASA has the best thing going for ALL Ferraris whether 348 C to 458 C or GT/C cars.

I will still do a few weekends a year, but car racing is falling down my list. I will just do more Friday member days so I can enjoy drive out to track in 328, 355 C already at track ready to go, and then be home for the girls by 4pm. Also not gone all weekend.

Yesterday for first time I did a cross country air race. That was pretty darn fun, I'll post a YouTube video in next couple days.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Rob, thanks for the details. I'm looking to move up into racing from road car track days soon and it always helps having more info.

interested to hear more about the air race, too..... :)

16. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I find those numbers remarkably low myself. 2 year rotors? My street car goes 2 years on rotors.

I get 6 months to a year (depending on number of outings) on a set of rotors in my formula car, which is very lightweight and easy on brake parts. I will have to ask some T1/T2 guys around the paddock next weekend, 2 years just seems amazing!

I don't know anyone racing for $1000 / weekend.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you don't know me then. rotor life has a lot to do with which pads you use. I use race pads, but they are very easy on the rotors. I actually didn't change the rotors I bought the car with in 2003 until after 5 years and about 15 weekends! I still have those same rotors as spares and they only have a few minor hair cracks. now the spec RX7 I would go through 1-2 rotors a weekend because of cracks, the stock rotors couldn't handle the race pads and nothing we could do about it because both were spec parts. RX7 rotors were only $80 each though.

I think this mindset shown here is the biggest thing hurting club racing. There is a myth that you can't club race for under $1,000 a weekend. You guys are doing the sport a huge disservice. You guys are spending more money, but I also guess you guys didn't start in Spec RX7 or Spec Miata where most everyone is a budget racer.

18. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I should update my statement: I don't know anyone racing on slick tires for $1000/weekend.

Spec RX7, Spec 944, Spec E30, Legends (!), etc, I'm sure all of those are pretty durn cheap to get into.

Spec Miata, if you want to be competitive you are spending lots of money. I don't know about the rest of the country but here in SCCA San Francisco region we also have "Sealed Spec Miata" which is much cheaper.

I still find it unbelievable that a set of rotors on a sedan lasts so long.

19. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Primarily arrive and drive, but did handle all the sponsor issues and logistics for hotel rooms/meals etc.

I agree that you CAN do it cheaper, but even after you listed your initial list $$$ per weekend, you openly showed all the other annual expenses etc.

If anyone gets out of a club racing weekend for less than a couple grand they are not being honest with themselves. If you you it yourself you may be able to spend less "Cash out of pocket" but you will use up enough personal hours to balance it out.

I guess if you are single or DINKS it may be better in that regard, but it will still cost you some money to go racing...even club racing. And if you want to be competitive it will cost you at least that much.

20. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    If a year is only 3 weekends then I understand the rotor life.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, but some on here didn't believe you could even get 15 weekends on a set of rotors.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    me! I already explained that, a slick or even a R6 is $400 a tire, but I was winning 2-4 a weekend. I only used 2 rears a weekend and 2 fronts every 2-3 weekends.

Spec RX7, SM, IT, and many of the regional classes you can race on $1,000 a weekend. Tires for many of those cars are only $150-250 each and their contingencies just as good or better.

The top Spec Miata guys do spend $50k or more for car and several thousand a weekend, but again that's a choice, I've seen $1,000 a weekend budget SM drivers at the front regionally.

On the 355 Challenge they seem to last forever, Spec. RX7 1-2 new rotors a weekend because of major cracks, and RX8 new rotors every 3-4 weekends because of hairline cracks. For some reason the 355 Challenge rotors just last a long time, again, mostly because of the pads I use.

Nothing I liked better in club racing than beating dumb money on the race track. Also frustrating to get beat by dumb money, the Mothers Polish brothers would usually beat me in their RX8, this was a touring class and for some reason their cars sat 2 inches lower and had more negative camber. That was money for "parts" and development I didn't do and they got away with it.

23. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Rob that post was meant to show what the registration fees for Ferrari are.....IE $26 m for just the 4 races then $4m for each additional.

Regards,

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    understand, but when the thread title is "Estimated cost for season of Ferari Challenge" and you only had that post with no other qualification I just wanted to do the qualifying. :)

25. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    Understood, I should have qualified the title of my response. R3 sent me a "arrive and drive" quote of about $25,000 a weekend all in + the car. It appears used 430 Challenge cars are in the $140ish range. So to start you are looking at $250m to begin and if you want to be competitive on a arrive and drive it is $500m......... big nut for a lot of us to pull off. For those that have it good for you, I am glad to see others do well.

If I had the know how I would love to be able to pull off what you have. Sounds like the Rx8 was bomb proof for you and you had a lot of fun. In the end that is all that should matter, is enjoying yourself.