Euro 1983 Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole Coupe on BAT | FerrariChat

Euro 1983 Ferrari Mondial Quattrovalvole Coupe on BAT

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jlohmann3, Jun 5, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlohmann3

jlohmann3 Rookie

Jun 4, 2024
    Full Name:
    John Lohmann
    Hey Community, new to Ferrari Chat. Heard many of you reference it on BaT over the years and it sounds like the Mondial group is quite active and supportive. Been a Ferrari fan going back to the '80s due to that 328 that hung on my wall. Finally to a point where I'm ready to jump in for real. Been looking at Mondials and prefer the coupes. Really liking this one on BaT. Interested in your thoughts on it. Some areas of concern are a lot of work done 5 years ago but only driven 300 mi since then and delamination on the windshield. Otherwise seems like a real looker and interesting 2 tone interior. Appreciate any knowledge you can share.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-mondial-quattrovalvole-coupe-4/

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    That looks like a beautiful example, the colour out and in work very well.

Looks mostly original, the speakers in the door are aftermarket, otherwise looks unmolested.

Mileage is reasonable for the age, good that the car appears to have had regular use til the last few years. The work done seems appropriate.

jlohmann3 likes this.
  3. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    To the OP: Welcome Aboard!!
    Before discussing this specific Mondial, first determine your intent with becoming a Mondial owner. Are you looking for a "driver" to put lots of miles on? Will you do your own maintenance or bring it to a shop? Are you prepared to buy a car that has immediate needs? Does your budget cover the "unexpected surprises" that may happen?
    My own two cents: if you haven't already, go check out a few Mondials in person. Go for a drive/ride. Ask questions. Learn about the "quirks and features". For the coupes, one of those quirks/features is the sunroof option. Lots of threads about Mondial sunroofs among many other topics. The folks here know these cars inside and out, so you will find a wealth of information in this section.

Now about this BAT car, sure it looks ok from long distance. But it's hard to say whether it's right for you. Based on what is described in the ad and the comments, there are some known issues which may be of little concern to some, but a dealbreaker for others. Again, depends on what kind of level you are seeking.
    As often stated here, buy the BEST Mondial you can afford. Good luck in your hunt!

jlohmann3 and ronfrohock like this.
  4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    The fact that it is one-owner is a definite plus these don’t come up often, also the fact that it is a slick top is rare too but seems to be common with the euro coupes.

jlohmann3 and ronfrohock like this.
  5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Welcome aboard! I never thought about owning one until I drove one (see my 'Would I like a Mondial' thread here), my 5th Farrari. What an underrated car! Pricepoint is good (for now) until more people discover what these cars are really about! Just do your DD and a PPI if possible, simple sounding things can get $$$ which is why I bought on ('88 3.2 coupe) that was gone through bumper to bumper that included a full engine out, new paint and wheels. Best of luck to you!

BTW, where are you located?

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    jlohmann3 likes this.
  7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    There is a switch under the dash to start the car which they mention in the start up video maybe it has something to do with that?

jlohmann3 likes this.
  8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I’m going to guess that it brings 45k

jlohmann3 likes this.
  9. jlohmann3

jlohmann3 Rookie

Jun 4, 2024
    Full Name:
    John Lohmann

Thank you, appreciate the comments

10. jlohmann3

jlohmann3 Rookie

Jun 4, 2024
    Full Name:
    John Lohmann
    Great questions. Looking for more of a weekend driver but intend to drive. Not concerned about or looking to pay for a low mileage car. Will definitely bring it to a shop vs work on it myself, however might be interested in learning. Any recommendations on the best shops in Chicago area would be welcome. I am expecting some unexpected surprises with a 40+ yr old car - this one seems to have had good service in 2019 but then driven only 300 mi since. Also delamination of the windshield near the a pillars. Not sure how much a new windshield will cost? Appreciate the advice and comments!

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Hammer @ $51.5K and it was due for around $10K of work. Encouraging!

jlohmann3 likes this.
  12. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Welcome John!

jlohmann3 likes this.
  13. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I don't know Chicago area shops. But here in the forums, I know hnichols is near you. He has a 3.2 coupe and is a DIY -er. He may be able to connect with you with some info.
    Windshields? Can be a challenge to source a suitable replacement! They are out there but once you locate one, you must find an installer who knows what they are doing as it's all too easy to make a mistake during removal of the old and/or installing the new one leading to a cracked screen.

When looking at any old Ferrari, Mondials included, as recommended above, you should definitely have a prospective car gone over with a PPI. Hidden corrosion can be costly to repair properly. Engine servicing... when was the last "major"? How old are the timing belts? Are there any service records? With Mondials, it's common to find that maintenance has been deferred. Big red flag. Yes, it's far better to jump into a high mileage car that's been regularly serviced properly than a low mileage car that sat for years. With cars that sit for far too long, Hoses and lines will tend to rot from the inside, where you cannot easily inspect. When I got mine, there was a coolant leak. Changed out nearly all the coolant hoses to fix it properly. This BAT car has sat for 5 years. Again, some will say that is a serious concern, and others will say it just needs to be gone through by a reputable shop, refreshed with new belts and then ok to go. Opinions will definitely be all over the place, but for myself, I'd be concerned by its lack of recent use. Sure, it can be done. But expect to pay some $$$ to do it properly. As always, YMMV!

jlohmann3 likes this.
  14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Windshield? £600 + packing and shipping from Superformance in the UK... just a glued-in windshield. No magic involved for a pro. Good opportunity to refresh the metal trim while it's out.

jlohmann3 likes this.
  15. jlohmann3

jlohmann3 Rookie

Jun 4, 2024
    Full Name:
    John Lohmann
    Ya, went a little above what I was willing to do. Did you see the note from new owner? He's gonna restore it which is nice (I was just planning to drive it...). But he says the interior was a special option Zegna interior that was only offered as an option on Euro BB and Mondials at the time. Kinda cool and probably helped the price a bit.

PeterS likes this.
  16. jlohmann3

jlohmann3 Rookie

Jun 4, 2024
    Full Name:
    John Lohmann
    Thanks, appreciate all the great advice!

djs308 and PeterS like this.
  17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I recently bought one of those. A guy brings it into the shop, totally neglected with 80K miles. $55K later with everything gone through, engine and transmission rebuilt to the nines, new paint, suspension ~ all new rubber, all new fuel and brake lines, new wheels and tires. He apparently had some issues and I ended up buying the car, a car that will be gas and oil for at least five+ years!

Here it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Very cool!

19. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wow! It looks outstanding now!! Enjoy all the miles and smiles!

PeterS likes this.
  20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Absolutely perfect. Stunning really.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    theunissenguido likes this.
  22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thank you. It's a stepping-stone to a gated 360 that I would really like to own, not sure what it would bring. I have this car and beautiful 8/10 midnight '08 XKR with 60K on the clock that is getting me in range.

djs308 likes this.