Euro 328 vs US 328 | FerrariChat

Euro 328 vs US 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by stradman, Sep 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Hi Guys,

For all the 328 experts out there, can I ask is there a difference in the engine between Euro and US 328's? Obviously I understand about the difference in side lights, but also how about the bumpers and overall weight of the car?
    Thanks for the replies.

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Already answered a few times, but nevertheless:

Basically the Euro car is about 70 lbs lighter, comparing exactly the same car: GTS vs GTS, and with the same options.
    As ABS adds about 35 lbs, Air Conditioning also...should you compare an Euro GTB (already lighter by birth than a GTS) without ABS and without Air Conditioning to an US GTS with ABS and A/C, the difference would then be "about 120 lbs".

The engine of the US car has a catalysator, the euro car does not (except the swiss model, also sold in Sweden, which is a particular case)
    The US car engine is given for 260 hp, vs the Euro 270 (Swiss is 255). Torque is very slightly less. To compensate, the US car has different gear ratios.

The front bumper of the US car has to pass a more stringent legislation on front collision, so is bolted on shocks absorbers and is therefore longer, giving the car a longer "lip", as the bumper protrudes more front under the front metal band from the front clip (about one inch more).
    Rear bumper has the "letter box" hole behind and below the registration plate for extracting air around the cat, and the lower grille around the exhaust is mounted further back than on an euro car, making the exhaust pipes look shorter, because the exhaust box is pushed slightly more rearwards, to clear the cat mounted in front of it.

Rgds

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Are there any pictures comparing euro vs us 328 bumpers?

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #4 nerofer, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A study in side picture:
    Front bumper first:
    The first black car is my own GTS, 80515; notice that from the side, it is actually rather difficult to make out that the front bumper (GRP part) is protruding from under the front steel clip, whereas it is evident on the American market car (picture taken form the net) that the bumper protrudes about an inch more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #5 nerofer, Sep 17, 2014
    The rear now:
    First car is non cat: no "letter box" air extraction slot behind and below the identification plate, grille is forwards, making the exhaust pipes look more protruding.
    Second car is with cat: "letter box" air extraction slot in the bumper, grille mounted slightly rearwards making the exhaust pipes appear shorter.

6. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just love black 328's :)

Yeah, that bumper on the Euro version is significanly more hidden. It's very obvious now that I've seen them in side-by-side pictures.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the education Nerofer. Us newbies appreciate your clear explanation.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    And, to complete:
    The "swiss market" model, that appeared on the spring of 1987 in Switzerland, because not being an EU member, Switzerland adopted emission legislation earlier, has catalysator, and visually is:
    - identical to the Euro-market 328 at the front (= short lip bumper)
    - has the small euro rear view mirrors (NOT the "flag" mirrors of the american cars)
    - identical to the American-market 328 at the rear: "letter box" air extraction slot, etc...because it has cat.
    - engine has 255 hp and a special version of the K-jet

That "swiss market" model was:
    - soon after its apparition sold new also in Sweden with a small water outlet in front of the lights (the retracting pods) for light washers (peculiar only to 328 sold in Sweden)
    - during the last year of sales, i.e 1989, also sold new in Germany, alongside the standard Euro model (non-cats) because if you opted for the model with catalysator, Germany gave you a "green patch" that avoided some restriction.

With the exception of this Swiss Market Model, NO OTHER EURO 328s has catalysator.
    (Some of the very first euro "Mondial T" (with the 3,4 engine), I seem to recall a small batch of about forty cars only, are also non-cat and as such, very sought after...)

Rgds

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    So, for the engine, the only difference is the catalysator (catalytic converter)?

I seem to recall that the cams were different, profile or something.

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sorry Wade: yes, you have some differences "inside" also: compression ratio, etc...
    (and, as already mentionned, the gear ratios)

Rgds

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #11 nerofer, Sep 17, 2014
  12. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yep, thanks nerofer but I now see why we never see threads about 328s converting to euro bumpers not enough of a difference.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    K jet as opposed to KE. Slight different cam timing and ignition advance curves and lower compression for US and Switzerland. Swiss also had a pretty different injection system.

External emission equipment had a few different set ups.

14. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Would a Swiss 328, have any problems passing the California emission regulations since they do have cats????

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I guess we can say that the "americanisation", or would it rather be "federalisation" for the 328 was "better integrated", or better thought, than it was for the 308, for which it seems rather an haphazard afterthought.
    On the 328, it is visually much less obvious than on the 308; the only main difference is "catalysed" versus "non-catalysed", and my guess is that in the years to come, judging by how the legal environment for emissions is changing here, we could well regret not having cats on our cars...

Rgds

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I fear it will be worse there than here. Living in California at the front lines of enviro extremism it has been a real pain in the ass but to some degree because of how bad it got in the late 60's and early 70's understandable. However in the US we have not gotten to the point of banning certain cars from the confines of designated cities whereas in Europe, you have. It looks as though in some ways you have passed us and are accelerating away. Considering the political and cultural differences I think there is less standing in the way of that steam roller in Europe as there is in most of the US.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, unfortunately you might very well be right, Brian. Green Khmers are eveywhere; we have "training sessions", mostly mandatory, in all big company to learn how to "drive green": shift up at 2000 rpm, etc...at this rate of progress, caught blipping the throttle during a double-declutch will get you ten years of punishment. Time will tell, but...

Rgds

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "Green Khmer" Interesting name for what some here call "Enviro Nazi".

I suppose it is understandable how the use of our name didn't catch on in Europe.

I like yours though. I think I'll adopt it. No one here will understand the term. We Americans have short memories when it comes to World affairs.

Wouldn't it be more apropos to say Khmer Green?

20. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On another Ferrari forum, it was recently noted that the luggage compartment in a US version is shallower than a Euro because of the additional heat shielding on the US version. The comment pertained to an EBay listing for Schedoni Euro 328 luggage that, apparently, will not fit a US car. Perhaps Nerofer or Rifledriver can comment.

Added: I now see that the comment was submitted by Rifledriver under his handle for the other forum!
    Jon

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you look at the Idea Ferrari catalog for the luggage sets you will see that the US/CH set has a different part number. It is for that reason.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks.

From what I've found by looking at the various Mondial 3.2 Owner's Manuals:

255 HP (Swiss) and 260 HP (U.S.) motors have 9.2:1 compression
    270 HP (Euro) motors have 9.8:1

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It helps that "Green Khmer" rhymes in french: it is said "Khmer vert", but the "t" at the end of "vert" is mute, so both words ends on the same sound. I guess that explains why this has caught.

For the time being, our cars have got some kind of (temporary?) reprieve. Our "bright brains" have discovered recently that Diesel engines are in fact emitting very small nano-particules that are not stopped even by the most advanced exhausts filters specially devised for this; and that those particules are now confirmed as very dangerous for the health (causing cancer, mainly; but not only...)
    So the consensus now is that it would be more beneficial for the health of all french people to forbide Diesel engines first and foremost; trouble is that it has been so actively promoted during the last thirty years that 90% of all cars in circulation are diesel powered...
    The fate of a small number of old sports cars is not under scrutiny for the time being. They only have to satisfy the emissions-norm for "non catalysed petrol engine build before 1991" for which they have no problem to comply. Both my 328s have had their "every other year" mandatory "contrôle technique" this summer, and their emissions are "satisfactory" under this norm.

24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    "For the time being" is the critical part. There are many unelected EU beauracrats who would love to ban all old cars and we wont have any say in the decision. Today its vacuum cleaners but I am sure they are setting their sights much higher:

Vacuum sales up 44% as EU ban sees scramble for powerful models | Daily Mail Online

The sooner the UK is granted a vote and gets to pull out of the appalling EU the better.

25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That sounds just like California...and the rest of the US too I guess.

We get to vote but being politicians they cant help themselves. They promise us everything and give us nothing but higher taxes and more regulation.

Good to know it is the same everywhere and we are not being singled out.