Euro QVs in North America? | Page 28 | FerrariChat

Euro QVs in North America?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Thomas Magnum, Dec 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Euro car from that area of chassis number are from end of June/beginning of July with a delivery in Europe around September so it had been imported very quick after its delivery.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My 52703 was manufactured in June 1984, and delivered September 4, 1984 in Jersey, Channel Islands (I have the warranty book with the delivery information). It was made in the last week of 1984 model year production. Your 52785 would have been made in the first couple of weeks of 1985 production, either late June or early July.

Agreed, that matches the information I have.

3. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow, jimgolf1, this is pretty crazy! When I saw the picture of your door tag I thought I was looking at my own! Our cars are just a few numbers apart and were both imported through the same dealership in Florida. Mine was originally a Swiss car but, according to the import papers, was imported in October of '84. The gentleman I bought it from 3 years ago had it since '93 and he purchased it from the Sports Car Exchange in Michigan. If I recall, the previous owner told me the car came from Florida. But there's a service record from March of '85 that was performed at a place called Temple Motor Works in Austin, TX, so who knows....

Do the close VIN numbers mean they would have been on the assembly line at the same time? I seem to recall a thread about VIN numbers and how they don't necessarily pertain to one model - in other words, mine is 52789 and 52790, for example, might have been a Mondial or something like that.

In any event, always interesting to track down some history on our cars!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    At the time, there was not yet an even number, so 52785-52787-52789 was very close on the production line, maybe even one behind the other because intended for the same market.
    On the other hand, I find it very strange that 2 cars so close were imported at the same time by the same dealer. This can not be a coincidence but not a voluntary act of group purchasing either because the dates are not the same. Why ? Only Sports Car Studio can respond, a lack of availability ....? A stock to sell at a European reseller?
    Do you know the destination market for your cars? If you have the notebook, there is the delivery address.

jferazzi and Thomas Magnum like this.
  5. jferazzi

jferazzi Karting

Sep 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It does seem like more than just a coincidence that two cars so close together on the assembly line would end up at the same dealership by accident. I tried to look up The Sports Car Studio but, as far as I can tell, is no longer there. According to the notebook, the delivery address was in Zurich. I believe jimgolf1 said his car was French. This bring up more questions! How did the import process work back then? If a dealership wanted a stock of 308s and the only way to get them quickly was to import grey market cars, did the cars have to go to their original country of destination first? Very interesting...

6. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    the warranty book of 52789 clearly indicates that the car was delivered, and that the dealership no longer owned it (however tempted it might be), so the car was then sold for export. The situation must be identical for 52785 which arrived even later in the US.
    No idea how it was when a dealer wanted to import to the gray market, he must have had several requests and maybe he was out of Ferrari USA quota, so he had to go around the European dealerships to see who had what .... That said with a lot of reserve of course ....

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
  8. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
  9. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

Attached Files:

jferazzi and TripleBlack like this.
  10. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
  11. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    TripleBlack likes this.
  12. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thomas Magnum likes this.
  13. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Thank you, Thomas is taking good care about this register.
    Would you mind tell us your body and engine number from that Swiss version of the Euro QV?

14. johnrlyon

johnrlyon Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The car is currently at Competizione & Sports cars having some work done, so I'll check those and reply to this thread when I get the car back.

TripleBlack likes this.
  15. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I bought an 83 for the east coast about 6 months ago. Happy to provide my details. Lives in nor cal now. All I know is it is a euro car (confirmed by ca dmv). Not sure which country

16. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    If there is no dealer plate (example France, Germany), post your VIN Tag, sometime we can figure it out, some countries have different species.

RamsHmb likes this.
  17. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    This is 044645. Blue Sera/Creme 1983 308 GTB QV Euro. I originally bought the car in 2007 and sold it in 2011. The next owner posted it on this same thread in 2013. I just recently bought it back from him. It is an amazing color combo and a beautiful car. Just starting full bare metal restoration. I can’t wait to get it back on the road. The Euro 308 QVs are amazing drivers.

18. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    The work done on this car to pass US emissions was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. All the pipes on the headers had small steel tubes welded in. These tubes were attached to an external fan that pumped fresh air into the headers to dilute the normal exhaust giving a cleaner emission reading at the other end.

19. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #698 Thomas Magnum, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    Please post the last five of your VIN, and overall description to include GTS/GTB, color of body and interior. Thanks and congratulations.

Not sure I updated this car to the list and now the auction is blank. Sorry.

Got this one and updated the list.

Congratulations. Ownership history updated. Nice car!

Removed from the list.

I apologize for my laziness regarding maintenance of the list of Euro QVs in North America. Plenty of excuses but who cares. On a personal note, my Euro QV restoration was finished in August. I couldn't be happier. Finally got to present at Concorso Italiano where it received a Silver Award. Very pleased, as I made some subtle mods that probably cost me a few points during judging. Happy New year to all who read and follow this thread. A new updated list is provided. Cheers!

Attached Files:

thorn, GordonC, 308 milano and 3 others like this.
  20. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France