EURO STRADALE WEIGH-IN | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EURO STRADALE WEIGH-IN

Discussion in '360/430' started by wazza, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks for those numbers... though fuel can be huge, so not sure we can conclude much.

While I love to hear those track results, it of course says very little about the car... it just says you're the better driver... how much is driver vs. car is an open question.

But what REALLY interests me hear is your experience with the brakes...

1) When did you have to change the pads? (Sometime before 5000km... but 3000? 4000? 5000?)

2) Do you see any rotor wear? If so, what's your best estimate for how many pads you'll go through per set of rotors?

3) Were the pads consistent throughout their life?

4) Were the pads wearing equally on all four corners?

5) Are you sticking with the Pirelli's? If not, what tire are you using and how does it compare to the Pirelli's?

Thanks!!

2. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I was going to ask the very same questions :) The only other issues I have is what does a set of new tires cost and what did the pads set you back??

Thxs

3. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Had to change the rear pads fairly early on at around 2500kms. The reason for this was that when I first started racing the car I did NOT turn off the ASR completely when in race mode. Result is that while the race mode reduces the ASR considerably, allowing you to slide the car, it does still intervene. Now the ASR intervenes in 2 ways: cuts engine power AND applies the rear brakes.

Since then, I now turn off the ASR at all times on a racetrack, even in the wet and only leave it on on public roads where in anycase I try to avoid using race mode (temptation to do something really illegal!).

The fronts look like we will be due for a change after the next track day. Wear is really very consistent. The hotter the brakes get the better they work and after 6oo kms on Magny Cours in 25 deg C temp there was no fade whatsoever. I reckon I'll use one complete set of pads per year based on about 10 000 kms/yr of which 50-60% track. But this is a guess. Will inform you, if you like, as the year progresses.

There is no rotor wear whatsoever. The theory is that these rotors don't wear for a very very long time. A friend of mine has an Enzo (and a Stradale) and has 12 000 kms of really hard track and road driving and the only issue he has had with the rotors was a piece of gravel getting caught between the pad and disc and damaging the disc. Otherwise, no issue at all.

Re tyres: The only tyre that is homologated for the car is the Pirelli. The P Zero Corsa on the car was specially designed for the car and is apparently of a particular compound, so I do not intend to try anything that is not factory- approved. While they don't last very long under intense track use, they are an incredible tyre and remain really constant even when worn. I have been trying to get slicks for the car but so far have yet to find a 19" slick in the correct dimension.

rgds

4. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You have no idea how good that is to hear... that is a big part of why I wanted a Stradale!!! I'm happy!

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Result is that while the race mode reduces the ASR considerably, allowing you to slide the car, it does still intervene."

I wonder whether ASR can be completely defeated.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Given he said "Since then, I now turn off the ASR at all times on a racetrack," in the next paragraph... that would be a YES. (Thankfully!)

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    there is a big "ASR" button on the console :) so it looks like you can easily turn ASR on or off.

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    also, here's a copy of the page from the US owner's manual regarding launch control. apparently, you turn ASR off as part of the procedures to use LC.

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    try again.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    this is very cool feedback - I usually have race mode on and ASR engaged too - many thanks

don't have my car to try at the moment however as far as I recall ASR will even stay off if you keep the car in race mode

if you replace your pads can youy take a quick picture and post it? I would like to see the wear pattern

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

well LC does not engage is your are not in Race mode and ASR is on

one tip for a Sunday morning: use LC in damp conditions (make sure the road is wide and street is empty)

12. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003

Chal Strad.

Do you have any lap times for your CS round Magny Cours.?
    I will drive that curcuit in July with my CS and it would be nice to have a bench mark.

What other curcuits have you done so far.?

Wazza

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Guess I misread a post to suggest that even turning ASR off did not completely deactivate it. I well may need the help, but I don't want it.

14. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Love that picture of the interior center console...it is a piece of art work!! I also like the key the comes with the car!! :) Man I want this car ;)

15. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Not to keep harping on this particular issue, but....

With respect to the "360 Challenge v. 360 CS on the track" debate, some Stradale advocates have always argued that the (a) improved aerodynamics and (b) more power would make the CS faster than the 360 Challenge, because (c) suspension differences are moot and (d) weights are the same.

Leaving aside the apparent discoveries that the Stradale power isn't what Ferrari claims it to be, and suspension differences are significant and hugely important, the point of this thread has been what the *actual* weight of the Stradale is.

We have data from C&D, and we have data from a couple of owners who have actually weighed their cars. Weight appears to be a lot more than the marketing claims from Ferrari... and about where one would expect them to be.

But, and I'm getting to my point here, a couple of Stradale advocates are suggesting that if one backs out the weight of some accessories, like the Rollcage, the fire extinguisher, etc., then one would get closer to the "claimed" weight. Even assuming that's true, this argument doesn't really affect the Challenge v. CS debate - after all, don't you think a fair racetrack comparison between the two cars would imply that the Stradale SHOULD HAVE the rollcage and the fire extinguisher?

Don't get me wrong - I think the Stradale is a marvelous car, and I'd LOVE to have one. I still believe, however, that it's more a product of marketing than of engineering --> it's an improvement on the 360 Modena, at the cost of some sacrifices in comfort, but it IS NOT a real track car; certainly nothing like the 360 Challenge.

And for the cost, heck, from what I've heard about the 360 market these days, if you're paying $200k+ for a Stradale, for not much more, you can have a 360 Challenge AND an early 360 Modena.

vty,

--Dennis

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I am not completely sure what your point is - I want to drive to the track and not have my car on a trailer and sit in a SUV - I don't want to maintain two cars of the same flavor; your calculation does not at all take this into account - arguing based on price as in value-for-money does not make any sense to me; if there is an area of diminishing return for your investment high-end sports cars is it – I paid good money that they rip stuff out of my CS, which I did not want in the first place

Secondly, if you talk about emotions the CS beats the Modena by every $ I paid more for it – taking it for a spin is fun pure

Finally, the Challenge and CS shootout hopefully happens at some point same driver and same track. One can not deny that F should have moved more of the Challenge features over into the CS – weight, suspension, no electric windows, no A/C – all the discussions you see are a folks trying to figure out what design decisions have been made and why and if they can be undone - sounds fun to me

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Dude, I think you're the ONLY one still stuck on that! Yes, some of us proposed that MAYBE the CS could give the 360C a run, given its nearly the same weight and has more power. That is not the case, not even close... so there's no chance.

The focus on the weight thing now is just:
    1) Did Ferrari lie to us?
    2) Where is that extra weight, and can we eliminate it ourselves.
    3) What is the weight difference Euro vs. US, and can us US owners save weight by sub'ing Euro parts??

The CS is not going to outrun the 360C in the real world.