European 812 from now onwards have GPF | Page 3 | FerrariChat

European 812 from now onwards have GPF

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by LMH, Mar 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Beautiful spec! Congratulations and enjoy in excellent health :)!!!!

LMH likes this.
  2. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    My 812 GTS is due in soon, if you used the novitec did it have any effect on the warranty? Do you know if you can still have the valves opened post GPF?

LMH likes this.
  3. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks, I guess you recommend installing it, right?

4. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    No issue with warranty - discuss it with your dealer, better to be honest about it. They know how to handle things vis-a-vis the factory.
    Yes, I recommend it - helps me enjoy the sound a bit more and keeping the neighbours happy at the same time.

5. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Thanks

6. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks!!

7. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    If possible can you post a video so we can hear it? Sounds awesome I might ask my dealer to do it before I take delivery.

8. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    I just bought an 812 SF. Dealer told me I had bought the ticket of another guy and that I was very lucky to still be able to buy one.
    Then came my question on GPF. They couldn't give me an answer..

Since its in production and will be delivered in SEPTEMBER 2020, I guess I'm screwed? Does anyone know this for certain? Or are we all guessing?

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    If you are in the US it depends on what year model your car is. If it's still a 2020 which I doubt since it is a September delivery, then it will not have the GPF but if it's a 2021 which it most likely will be, it will have the GPF.

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Have the dealer pull up the order in MODIS and check the codes for the engine...simple enough, it should already be there even if the car is not yet in production (definitely will be there if in production)

But, why would the dealer say you are 'very lucky' ? What country are you located?

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Since they aren't producing 812's anymore he told me. They will only make 812 SF GTS

12. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Dealer called me with the bad news. He has been delivering 812's with GPF..
    So mine will have it too. I really hope there's a bolt on solution for this.

Does anyone know if I can just order the 812 SF 2019 model exhaust? I guess that'll fix it without voiding the warranty?

13. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Not sure why anyone would order a new 812 SF now, when you can get a decent discount on a non-GPF model, with lots of choice of specs & delivery mileage...?

Anyway, pretty sure you cannot just fit the 2019 (pre-GPF) exhaust; the ECU is set up for GPF so it would cause problems. I am having the same dilemma with my incoming GTS, which has GPF. I plan to swap the rear boxes for Novitec and add an x pipe. I hope that will make it almost as good as the pre-GPF 812s. If not, I plan to look into GPF-delete options, but none are yet available

BTW there are conflicting reports on how 'bad' the GPF sound is. I have not yet heard in person, but based on watching a lot of videos I'm fairly sure it's more muffled with GPF and has lost some of the raw, raspy edge of the 812. As to how 'bad' that is, I'll need to wait to hear it in person.

Interestingly, one F chatter mentioned he has driven his 812 GTS (with GPF) for over 1,000km and the sound improved noticeably with mileage... Not sure if the GPF burns off or somehow becomes less restrictive?? Anyway, a glimmer of hope...

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think that video depicts a much quieter car. In the first half of his drive yes, but that's.the recording. After he puts the roof up and changes a few things in his recording setup, the entire recording sounds much more natural, and the car gets a lot louder. Additionally he is behind the SF which fires its exhaust into the GTS cabin. If you were in the SF, it would sound much quieter than outside from the back. I'm yet to hear it, but one is at my deamers, and even the diehard GPF naysayers agree that both the tonal difference and actual volume is miniscule. Will it be as easy to straight pipe it as a non-gpf car? No. But then again while I like the sound of a loud free breathing V12, I also find it incredibly distasteful and entitled to bother others like that. Every time I see a moron revving a Lambo or a straight piped V12 Ferrari on a quiet city street or at a stop light, I feel so embarrassed. So all in all, I can't say it truly saddens me to see that it has been more difficult to be obnoxious and selfish, because there are unfortunately too many out there whom do not grasp the concept of "a time and place for everything". A decatted valves exhaust is fine, but it's a problem when people don't know when to use them. With the F1w, 812, FF and Lusso this became a much greater issue than back in the days of the 550, 575 and 599. They were not as loud and did not scream in the same way. The most obnoxious and self entitled dicks usually stuck to the V10 and V12 Lambos, but with the introduction of the F12, some of that tacky behaviour made its way up the ranks to Ferrari.
    I really look forward to many wonderful kilometers in a drop top V12, and a valve controller and possibly a back box is a must, but I think with the top down it's going to be plenty - and I prefer that others can enjoy the car from the side without having their ears damaged.

Sorry about the rant. Just feel that there's not much focus on how much of a bother an uncorked F12 or 812 can be. Let the Youtube clowns show off in their tractors, and let's keep the proud stallion classy:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

italiafan and KarlA69 like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Screwed? You're getting an 812. Oh the horror...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LMH and KenU like this.
  16. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I guess to each his or her own.
    From a standpoint of sound I think louder or tonal differences are unique and have been generally taken away over time by some limitations put forth. I don’t see anything problematic of modifying a standard 812 non gpf or gpf version for sound improvement.
    Straight piping is one thing. Modifying exhaust less than that is another.
    Revving a car is one thing. Driving with a desire for higher rpm use is another and thus consequent loud noise that others notice. I’ve never done the first but do the second all the time. I don’t do it in a quiet neighborhood but don’t have problems on a busy street or at speed.
    Being a fool has no brand sensitivity or association. This occurs with all brands and I don’t think there is an embargo on Ferrari owners as well with this. My guess is there is a higher percentage of younger average age owners of Lamborghini thus a higher likelihood of social media ventures to do absurd things like you say. But don’t ruin it and group the mindset for the legitimate owners of the brand. A small percentage of people make a lot of noise and does not equate to a group identity of all owning the other brands.

Bundy and KenU like this.
  17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi all. I will soon be selling my 812 SF and putting the OEM exhaust back on first. As a result, I will sell my 100 cell Novitec sports cats (which won't fit onto my incoming GTS). They were £4k new and have only been used for 6 months or so. If interested, please PM me. I will accept a reasonable offer. I'm based in London but could ship within UK.

I appreciate this isn't the classified forum but it seemed like the right audience!