European F1 Grand Prix - Nürburgring - *spoliers* | Page 2 | FerrariChat

European F1 Grand Prix - Nürburgring - *spoliers*

Discussion in 'F1' started by imperial83, May 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Like Maseroche and Tillman said, it was Webber's fault not Montoya.

Even Webber has blamed himself...

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Right at the start of the race, I was getting nervous that NH would jump the gun and stall, luckily he didn't stall. I probably would've done the same with first time jitters. I hope Williams can get their launches down because they've been doing great all season in qualifying. In the post race interview, NH was saying that he knew before hand he wouldn't be first, what kind of confidence is that especially from pole? Even if I were to start 5th, I'm d@mn sure hoping for first and not settling for anything less. As for Webber, I don't even want to talk about this guy, he just has disappointed me all season.

As for NH pit stops, he could've done a 2 stopper if he stayed for 3 more seconds on the 2nd stop, but didn't. He might've gotten in front of FA since he was only about 16.5 seconds behind at the end. Anyone know why or have a guess that they didn't add more fuel? Speed was saying that they would've had to fill the fuel rig again and probably have NH go another lap.

It also seemed like many were out in the gravel today. KR, FA, RS, MS, FM, and a few others I can't remember. Everytime I saw the gravel getting spewed back on the track, I couldn't help but think someone would get their tires sliced, maybe this is how FM had his tire tear and the front wing go?

3. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    EXCELLENT Race !! I can't remember the last time I've been this excited during a recent F1 season, race after race. Even though a lot of diehard Ferrari fans have decried the rules changes, they have had a decided impact in leveling the field and making things so much more exciting and worthwhile watching.

I could see Kimi's accident coming a mile away (literally). That wheel just wasn't going to hold till the flag at race pace, the way it was jinking. I wouldn't drive a street car to the convenience store with a wheel that was that unstable, so I have to give Kimi respect for his bravery. But I was really happy that that violent spin didn't end in more carnage, especially that the loose wheel didn't come off completely and end up on Kimi's head (causing a tragedy bearing a grim resemblance to the death of Senna).

Great for Alonso, he got lucky to win. Perhaps that little bit of added luck is essential to the making of a champion. But I am most impressed with Rubens, who drove a cool headed, consistent race to clinch Ferrari's first podium of the season. I would say RB's done enough to have become Ferrari's de facto No. 1 driver over MS. I hope Ferrari can do even better in the rest of the season, that would blast the results wide open.

Commiserations to Coulthard too, if only he hadn't broken the pit lane speed limit, he would've established Red Bull as a definite front runner. Terrible luck.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    When I saw the wheel vibrating with 10 laps left, I knew that if it were to give up, it would be at the end of a straight, most likely the S-F line. I feel bad for Kimi because I think he most deserved this win and FA really lucked out. The commentators were saying how with FA in 2nd, Kimi would only close the Drivers' Championship gap by 2 points, but now FA is 10 more points over Kimi :(

RB reminds me of Phil Mickelson, consistently does well. MS is more like Tiger Woods to me. Sometimes goes on winning rampages, but other times is in the back minding his own business. I've always had a lot of respect of RB and I wish he got more from others. Also, I don't think it was Ferrari's first podium. I think MS got 2nd at some race I can't remember. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd race of the season.

Edit: San Marino, MS 2nd. Was only 0.2 seconds behind 1st place FA.

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Australia =RB 2nd
    Imola= Schumi 2nd
    European GP= RB 3rd

6. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Yes, of course, how could I forget that cliffhanger between FA and MS ! Silly me. :) And I forgot about RB's 2nd place in the Aussie GP.

I hope they come from behind and weave some magic for the rest of the season. But my money is still on FA/Renault.

7. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2004
    Shanghai/Melbourne
    Another display why Kimi is not great, just fast, you have to finish to get points. He knew better than us that the car was dangerous but his mental block to win cost him points and perhaps a chance at the championship. There have been many before him and more will come after him. Do not expect him to grow up.

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess

I think if you put MS, RB, FA or any other driver in that situation they would have done the same thing.

Racing is a gamble some time you just keep rolling the dice and pray that you will roll craps after the checker flag.

9. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    To be fair, noone could have recovered from what happened to him. The fact that he pushed 10/10 despite being in a death trap shows bravery and an extreme determination to win at all costs, qualities that I love in Champions. MS is much like this too, which is why I still respect him greatly. Put MS in that Mclaren and he would've done the same thing, even if it had meant risking life and limb.

After Kimi's spill I half-expected him to shove another marshall. Good thing that didn't recur.

10. Cherm

Cherm Karting
    BANNED

Jan 25, 2004
    Troll Land
    Full Name:
    Troll
    It was VERY hot here today. That certainly didnt help with the tires.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fantastic race and what a nail biter of a finish!

Lucky Fernando, bad decision on Kimi's part, great drive by Rubens, the usual mistake by Webber and a consistent result by Nick.

So if the Ferrari has the potential for 3rd, why isn't Michael in that spot? Is Rubens sticking to his guns he showed after Monaco?

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I asked myself the same thing about Rubens. He could have taken on much more fuel and still be in front of the next guy. That I totally didn't understand (unless with too much fuelload he would loose too much time per lap?)

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yup, I was puzzled about that too: The US TV commentators prediction on fuel for Rubens was 8.5 seconds, yet they stopped after 6.5 seconds. I was thinking what the heck? Give him 2 more seconds of fuel and send him on.

OTOH I'm not sure the commentator's prediction is right: How does he know, how much fuel they had at the start? He doesn't. We can measure how much goes into the car at each stop and guess how long that takes, but we never know what they had in it to start with. When they arrive for the first stop, that doesn't really mean the tank is empty.

14. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    That shows commitment and bravery, anyone in his shoes would have done the same. Beside, it was not his decision to pit but Ron could have!

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    On to Canada and the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit!
    Ferrari 1 - 2!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wouldn't predict that yet, but I think we can see a continuous improvement with the Scuderia. And Montreal might just be cool enough for the Ferraris to shine during qualification as well.

I maintain my prediction: The Scuderia will win at least once this year. I'm still sticking to Monza. However it might be the #2 car.
    :)

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Canada 1-2 will go to Williams :)

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Only if they sorted their brake issues from the past.

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    True, lol. I should've said a Williams 1-20 finish, though. ;)

20. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    We would have had a 1 - 2 today too had it not been for:

1) Renault cheating and giving Fisichella a faulty car so he cannot challenge Alonso.
    2) Montoya's lack of drving abilities. (Turn 1)

Today's victory by Renault was a hollow victory. There was no real racing. There would only be real racing if Renault let Fisichella race Alonso.

Disgusting day for F1! Shame on Flavio Briatore!

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    You wouldn't have had a 1-2 if MW, RS, KR were still in.

22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

I also thought webber made a mess of turn one. I don't think it was JPM's fault, it would have been a clean move.

23. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

You would have won today if everyone else went slower.

24. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    We would have won today had:
    1) The FIA officials enforced teh rules regarding tire treads at the end of the race today.
    2) Had Flavio Bratore and Renault let Fisichella actually race and chalenge Alonso.
    3) And had Montoya never been given permision to race in F1.

25. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Bottom line, there is still work to be done. Kimi And Fernando are still faster. Plus that was Webber's fault not JPM's