EV Conversion | Page 4 | FerrariChat

EV Conversion

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by vraa, May 30, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I've used 25mm Hill Engineering spacers - first with my stock wheels, and now with the NF2s. I do happen to have a set of brand new 30mm H&Rs that I bought "just because they were available". Should probably put them up for sale at some point.

Speaking of custom wheels, someone here approached me a while back about using one of my back wheels as a pattern to make an NF2 look alike - but only 11.5" or so wide - and with the correct offset built in. Mine were in storage at the time, so I couldn't help. Great idea though, as the Maranello really doesn't need that much tire in the rear...

2. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Texas Forever likes this.
  3. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
  4. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    so what wheels did you order?

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Nothing yet, I keep seeing deep dish lips and can't make up my mind on what style to pick

The car has gone for a few drives, nothing too crazy, it performed well each time, didn't over heat at all!

I've got it back on a tender right now, the car is in way way way too good of a condition for being 20 years old, I might not touch it at all, not even tint.

6. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    that is awesome, glad you are enjoying it!

Do the wheels - you wont regret it each time you walk out to get in it!~

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I saw a 550 / 575 on BaT just now with some seriously deep dish rims in the back and I've been questioning my life decisions

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  9. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575s are not known for overheating. Better fans, shroud, and faster turning, improved impeller water pump pretty much cured the 550's tendency to overheat.

11. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    many would say 550's dont have an issue with overheating either! =)

Not like we have 30K miles in SoCal and Arizona without a single issue though. What do I know!

(Any sports/super car from this era that is left to idle and tool around without airflow WILL heat up, including a 550). Manufactures figured out that people who don't know how to own these cars and use them correctly needed more fans and water pump impellers that worked optimally at lower RPM.

Drive it like ENZO wanted and a 550 will never overheat is my experience on road and track, even in 100+ heat!

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That must be why there are all the threads on improving the 550 cooling system.

13. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Again, as I said, let it sit without air moving and it will get hot. That was not what it was designed for. That doesn’t mean that people don’t have issues, it means that they are not driving it. Find me one of those threads that says a 550 got hot while being driven hard. Every car we ever saw in our shop (I owned a Ferrari service and performance shop for nearly 20 years) that experienced heat, did so in stop and go traffic or around town.

water pump impeller speed is a perfect indicator of what I am saying. The 550 pump works optimally at higher rpm. The 575 was redesigned to work better at lower rpm. Many other makes have done this over time. So much, that we built underdrive water pump pump pulleys for track cars to keep the pumps from cavitating at high rpm as they were designed to keep cars cool at idle.

Not sure what you are arguing as you don’t mention any facts, just vague issues presented by others. I know you have. 575, have you owned or driven a lot of hot weather miles in a 550? What did I say that you can objectively disagree with?

yes, most of the 575 parts are an evolution and there is no downside to them (water pump aside depending on how you use the car). I am not sure why 575 folks always try to put down the 550. There are a whole ton of us that have driven a lot of miles in triple digits that have never had a single issue. Even the tech we use now has said point blank there is no reason to change anything on the 550 as we don’t have issues. And we live in a place that will be 110+ for over 50 days this year!

fyi, there are also threads on how Biden’s stumbles were faked by the right wing media, but that doesn’t make it true!

14. 71veedub

71veedub Formula Junior

May 31, 2006
    Boston/North Shore
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It's my fault for not using it correctly if I get stuck in traffic?

Do any of us live where there is never a chance of sitting in traffic? I'd love it to be the case, but the fact is, if I use my 550, I will get stuck in traffic from time to time. Any street driven car needs to be able to deal with that!

15. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    #90 otoupalik, Jul 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    Its not a "stuck in traffic from time to time" issue. I have been in plenty of traffic in LA and OC (SoCal). Its that you let it sit for PROLOGNED time without moving air through the car. Like any other car from that era - Murcie, Air Cooled Porsches, or any sports car of that era, etc. What I was more alluding to is people leaving the car at idle for long periods to time, like you might do with an SUV or family hauler. I highly doubt you are going to ever let a 550 sit running for 30 minutes without moving!

Yes, the 575s has a more evolved and better system. But that does not mean that the 550 will overheat. Has yours overheated?

Your 550 can deal with the fact pattern that you put forth with NO modifications. If you want to upgrade, cool - that is any owners option.

If you want to replace a 20+ year old fan with a new one, that is cool too.

Any 20+ year old car will need to address a cooling system. Any car. Typical that an electric fan will need to be replaced at some point in time.

This is a pet peeve issue of mine as it seems that so many 575 owners pan the 550 or justify their ownership of a 575 on this issue. Clyde is a perfect example with his relentless attack on 550's on BAT always trying to scare people into feeling that if you ever drive a 550 in heat it will 100% overheat. Which is simply not true. The cooling system, while not as advanced as a 575, is more than adequate for very hot climates and typical use of the car.

16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
  17. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I try my best, its hard work

otoupalik and Face76 like this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- My comment on the 575M cooling system was an answer to a comment by a 575M owner worried about oveheating, not a 550 owner.

In the 16 years or so of being on FChat, I have seen multiple threads on improving cooling on the 550. Why would I need to drive one if I have even a tenuous ability to understand the English language? Also note that in 16 years of driving a 575, she has never overheated in the high desert or the humid southeast.

You seem awfully defensive for some reason. Facts are facts and the 575M cooling system had numerous upgrades that improved cooling, especially in high temperature environments.

We cannot all have your vast experience, but we get by the best we can.

19. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    #94 otoupalik, Jul 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    You made a snarky comment about the threads on 550s. To say you were not directing that at 550’s is disingenuous.

Note that in the 20 years on FChat and in the 25 years we have owned the 550 and 30k miles driven, she has never overheated in the California or Arizona traffic or deserts. Also in the hundreds of laps around willow springs in various 550’s, not one overheated.

I take my first hand experience over a game of telephone.

As to being defensive, I am. The repetition of false rumors and issues, especially by those without first hand experience hurts each and every 550 owner as it slowly and steadily erodes the perceived value. Secondly, it scares potential owners/buyers away if they believe there are problems inherently with the car.

20. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    PC, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Never had a temperature problem with the 550. Maintain these cars fastidiously and proactively and they will pay you back with reliability and gratuitous enjoyment.

otoupalik likes this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brad- I bow to your superior knowledge. I did not get my first Ferrari until 1975 and my first V12 until 1978, so new at this. I will try to refrain from mentioning all the upgrades to the 575 since it seems to bother you.

Qksilver likes this.
  22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    It is well established the 456 cooling system is worse than the 550 which is worse than the 575. A well maintained 550 should be fine in most scenarios, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, particularly if otherwise servicing the car as scheduled. Cooling becomes of particular importance if one further changes the headers or does other modifications.

23. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    #98 otoupalik, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    I think this is pretty spot on, but can't we agree that in general, the cooling system is better in every new model that comes out pretty much by any manufacturer? That is what manufacturers do, as the cars progress and power increases, the ancillary systems are improved.

I am a BMW guy too. And the cooling system in each new M3 is better than the last. But you don't hear e90 M3 people saying "don't buy a e46 M3 as it will overheat" lol

Changing to headers (especially without cats), should actually lower water temps however, as you are moving the exhaust out of the engine and engine bay faster than with a manifold and cats. With less restriction, you have faster flowing exhaust. Especially if coated. Less heat transfer to the metal, so less radiated heat and less stress on the engine cooling system. This is what we saw when we manufactured headers for BMW and Mercedes (both NA and S/C cars).

I agree fully that there is always room to improve almost anything on a car, and doing so is part of the personal journey that each owner can take! I certainly don't have any "stock" cars.

I just don't like seeing people who don't own a car talk down about it as if they are firsthand experts in such a way that it harms those that do actually own the vehicle!

You have a way of being very condescending and taking personal attacks when you someone doesn't agree with you. Nobody claimed you are new, in fact you are the one who started with the whole years counting approach. Do you really want to put up resumes and count how much experience we each have? That is foolish. Are you afraid of acknowledging another experienced perspective? However, you don't and have not owned a 550, so all the knowledge you have on this is based on your 575 ownership and second and third hand info.

How many original 550 owners are there around? How many of those have driven the car 30K miles? How many of those live in very hot climates? How many of those also owned a service and performance facility that worked on these cars? How many of those have extensive track time in all Ferrari's from 98-08? I don't know everything, but I have a certain perspective that is pretty unique, my guess is there are only a handful of us that can say yes to all of these questions. You certainly don't see me commenting on threads for cars I have not owned or don't know personally very well!

You have a lot of value and experience, but you don't know everything either. Nobody does. I don't understand why you make snarky and sarcastic remarks disguised as personal attacks just because someone disagrees with you. Its really unfortunate.

24. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    FWIW, my 456/550 cooling fan harness I have been selling for the last 18months is really meant as protective maintenance towards the electrical system. Most feedback, including myself, and discussion on the other threads have found that it does also make the fans run more efficiently, therefore offering small but tangible cooling improvements.

Like you say, each subsequent model has improvements over the last. That doesn't mean there isn't still room for improvements.

otoupalik likes this.
  25. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Totally agree. I actually really like what you did with your harness. I think it is well thought out and executed! Its great to have options outside of the factory!

Aerosurfer likes this.