Evaluation of Purflux Oil Filter (Ferrari PN 218429 used on 599) for use on TR/512TR | FerrariChat

Evaluation of Purflux Oil Filter (Ferrari PN 218429 used on 599) for use on TR/512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Steve Magnusson, Aug 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #1 Steve Magnusson, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    The Purflux 218429 Oil Filter is a very high-quality construction, full-flow filter for non-inverted applications that don’t require an anti-drainback valve nor standpipe. It does incorporate a high-quality, resettable, spring-loaded Bypass Valve. It is a very compact overall size that (like the Purflux 197654) has its filter media material pleated into a more complex 3D pattern (vs the usual 2D pattern of most oil filters) in order to maximize the amount of filter media in the small overall size.

Here are some details/facts/photos:

OUTER DIMENSIONS:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

FILTER MEDIA – As mentioned above, the Filter Media in the Purflux 218429 is pleated in a 3D pattern rather than the typical 2D pattern. The 3D pattern (cleverly) gets more Filter Media area into the same volume vs the typical 2D pattern:

The 218429 Filter Media Cartridge is a few mm longer than the 197654 Filter Media Cartridge, but they are so similar (same diameter, same pleating pattern, same bypass valve, and has a feature needed only for a filter with a standpipe) that it would not surprise me at all if both filters used the exact same Filter Media Cartridge (it has been so many years since I looked at the 197654 filter that the internal design may have been tweaked since then):

BYPASS VALVE – Exact same, high-quality, resettable, spring-loaded design like on the Purflux 197654. The movable plunger has a rubber coating on top so it’s fully sealed when closed with zero leakage. They did eliminate the separate metal screen that sits atop the 197654 bypass valve, but they also added some “bumps” to the end cap with the Bypass Valve (which I believe are there so that if the Filter Media Cartridge got shifted and pushed up against the inside of the Outer Case there would still be an open flow path for the oil to the Bypass Valve):
    Here’s the assembly sequence:

Step 1 – Front Plate

Step 2 – Conical Rubber Gasket

Step 3 – Filter Media Cartridge with Bypass Valve

Step 4 – Coil Spring

Step 5 – Outer Case

Here are the numbers comparing the Purflux 218429 to the UFI 2319202 used on the TR. Even though the Outer Case is slightly thinner on the 218429, for the same internal pressure, the hoop stress in the Outer Case is actually lower on the 218429 due to the smaller Outer Case diameter of the 218429:

My Comments/Observations/Conclusions (use at your own risk! ;)):

1. In the past, (automobile and oil filter) manufacturers were very conservative about the debris capacity that the oil filter needed to provide. This resulted in the rather large size oil filters for TR and 512TR and using two oil filters on the Boxers. In the past couple of decades, compactness has become a much more important thing so manufacturers have gone to much smaller oil filters. This 218429 oil filter that I cut open had just a very small amount of fine metal wear debris inside, and the only functional reason for changing it was to remove the old oil that was trapped inside it rather than anything else. I’m convinced that, for providing good filtering performance, it could have been used for a much longer time.

2. If the Purflux 218429 oil filter is OK for the 6.0L 599 engine, it’s OK for using on the 5.0L TR or 512TR engines.

3. If the Purflux 218429 oil filter is OK for use on the 5.0L TR or 512TR engines, the Baldwin B255 would also be OK for use on the 5.0L TR or 512TR engines.

My thanks to Chris (4heid) for providing and sending this Purflux 218429 sample to me for analysis.

Tifoso1, TestaDDS, raysur and 3 others like this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks for this

Two questions - will you be doing this for a 512tr filter as well ?
    Also I see on your comparison chart - bypass valve is yes on one and no on the other - meanwhile you said "exact same in your description?

Thanks

3. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    Only if someone sends me a 512TR oil filter sample ;). However, I don't expect any big difference between the TR oil filter and the 512TR oil filter as they shortened the 512TR filter for better compactness (so it would only have less filter media inside than the TR filter).

You've misread that -- the Purflux 197654 and the Purflux 218429 have the exact same bypass valve. The TR UFI 2319202 filter does not have a bypass valve.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sorry Steve

But maybe again I'm missing something but why are we comparing a 599 filter to a 360 filter when I thought the intent is to see if it could replace the TR or 512 TR

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    steve, how large/long is the filter material when you put it on a table, so how many cm/inch long?
    I think this is also important to know. the longer the better I think

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I didn't measure that, and agree that, the more filter material area, the more debris that a filter can hold before the flow is impeded. My point is that the debris capacity needed is not very large, and "If the Purflux 218429 oil filter is OK for the 6.0L 599 engine, it’s OK for using on the 5.0L TR or 512TR engines" -- can you explain why that is not a reasonable conclusion? Do you think that a TR/512TR engine generates a lot more debris than a (larger) 599 engine?

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thank you so much

So can I gather that in your opinion we can use this filter on the TR and 512tr

Any reason you can think of not to use ?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, and I can't see why an oil filter that is OK for the 6.0L 599 engine would not be OK for the 5.0L TR/512TR engines. The oil pressure gauge in the dash measures the oil pressure at the outlet of the oil filter so, if something went wrong with the flow thru the filter, you would see a drop in pressure on the gauge. The person who sent me this 218429 filter removed it from his TR, and didn't report any problems; however, I'll repeat: these are "My Comments/Observations/Conclusions (use at your own risk!).

10. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Steve, incredible write up and worth much more than my donation.
    This filter came on the car I obtained about 2 years ago. It hadnt been driven much and I was performing a full overhaul for most of the last year and a half.
    When I removed it I noticed it was not what I thought was supposed to be on there. It had been changed by the PO and when I looked for the normal UFI replacement I wasnt too happy with the $100+ prices I found online.
    When I looked up the 218429 I was amazed to find a $40 cost from Scuderia who shipped it from the UK for $25 with express shipping with a few other parts I was looking for and figured it would be a good time to see if this modern filter worked for our application.
    I have spent so much time cross referencing parts to find modern versions I was hopeful this would work, just like the crush washers I had found at an engineering supply site.
    The availability of this one seems to be much greater than the old UFI. The only downside I can find to the 218429 is that due to its 20mm shorter length, an oil filter strap will not work to remove it as its now recessed above the bottom of the floor. I didnt have the specific wrench so I used a pair of oil filter pliers which worked fine without crushing or puncturing it.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    And the difference of the bypass valve (having one ) ..would that be a negative or positive

I guess the positive is that flow is still moving if filter is totally clogged vs knowing by pressure drop if no bypass valve

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the testarossa engine is much older and the material used not so good as today. so I think that the debris will be more than on a newer car like the 599 engine. nevertheless I would use this filter because nearly nobody will drive his car morem than 10.000 km in a year and when he makes oilchange once a year with filter I see no problem.
    so it is a good alternative filter

Grease Donkey likes this.
  13. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree with turbojoe, these cars dont get enough mileage to matter. For the price of the UFI you get 3 of the 218429 and can change it more if you feel like it.

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would be interested in a discussion of the bypass valve vs no bypass valve ..that seems to be the material big difference

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bypass is only needed when the filter no longer lets oil through or when the oil is very cold. but with so little mileage an dalso not driving in cold season I would not care about.

16. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I am going to give this one a whirl.

17. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Steve for doing this!

18. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Steve - I have a brand new 512TR filter that I can send you if you want. Just PM me your shipping address.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please don't waste a new 512TR oil filter. Just let me know when you (or anyone else who would like to help out) have a used one available -- then we can hook up (there's no rush).

20. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    $100 question, would you fully suggest this oil filter compared to the UFI Testarossa filter? I just did my oil change but if you suggest this one I'll buy a bunch just to have haha.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well now that you've given me an alternative, I will have a used 512TR filter coming off in the next week. Happy to send it to you Steve.

22. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you, Steve!

23. raineycd

raineycd Rookie

Sep 6, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO USA
    Full Name:
    Chad Rainey
    Just noticed something today that may be helpful, maybe not, I was changing oil on the 87 TR and noticed the Murcielago oil filter I have seemed to have the same diameter gasket and threaded hole size. I spun it on and it seem to fit fine and mate up correctly. The Murcie filter is much smaller in size, but it's a 6.2L V12 engine that holds 12 qts of oil so I would think it would be up to the task. It's UFI 2328900 - looks like same filter for the Diablo and Aventador.

24. raineycd

raineycd Rookie

Sep 6, 2010
    Colorado Springs, CO USA
    Full Name:
    Chad Rainey
    Oh and the car had a SGP oil filter on it when I got it, didn't see any part #'s on the filter, it was the same size as the UFI OEM one.

25. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I've seen that SGP TR oil filter on the SuperformanceUK website, but know nothing about it.