Evaporator Timing Actuator 63307100 | FerrariChat

Evaporator Timing Actuator 63307100

Discussion in '348/355' started by perthite, May 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hi Guys,

This 348/355 ventilation part (63307100) enables air flow to be diirected to either the windscreen, central vents or feet. If the part motor or gears are broken, air flow is locked into one position. The part is currently unavailable to buy new and as such sourcing a used part is hard to find and expensive. Eurospares in the U.K. has a used timing actuator available for £195 which is steep in anyone's currency, especially in Aussie dollars!

I removed the actuator and tested the motor. The motor works OK but the plastic gears would appear to be shot.

Can the actuator be opened easily and the gears reconditioned and regreased?.

Thanks in advance for any help. I may have to just bite the bullet and buy the used part.

MManzonelli likes this.
  2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I bought mine (63306700) from scuderia uk for 55 euro about 3 years ago, today it's $155. Inflation I guess.
    You could try taking it apart, but I doubt those plastic gears are fixable

3. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The scarcity of the part might make it worthwhile to have a gear printed on a 3D printer.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The ones we opened up were for the recirculation flap. But basically the same deal. Gears fail. To open it's a matter of cutting along the seam and then prying. I ordered a pack of hobby gears off Ebay, but none fit. Probably some that would but I haven't looked any further.

6. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Thanks for the replies!

As an update, with a little help from friends I was able to pry open the actuator as shown below:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Once open, the cause of the part not working was obvious, a brittle and broken 20 plus year old plastic connector!!

The connector/wheel is 30cm long and the wheel diameter itself is 20cm.

Firstly, I am going to email the Swiss maker of the actuator, MES, to see whether they can provide the supplier of this part. However, any other suggestions as to who may make or hold these would also be gratefully received - toy maker, robotic manufacturer?? Using a 3D printer may also be the way to go.

If I can get a replacement, the actuator will function again no worries and will save me spending £195 (ouch!) plus shipping to Aussie for a 20 year old used actuator which maybe on its last legs in any case!!

Does anyone reading this thread know if Ferrari plans to make this actuator available new any time soon?

Qavion likes this.
  7. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    PS> the measurements are mm not cm of course!! Duh!

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #8 Qavion, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Ian, looking at the photos I think you are spot on! Thanks for being so observant! This option is much more reasonable cost wise!! Cheers mate

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    No worries, Trevor ;)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Be careful. The linked post shows two fresh air actuators. The one from my 95 (left) is different. The other one is the same as the vent direction actuator but without the position potentiometer. If you buy the fresh air vent actuator you won't know which one you get until it arrives. Make sure it's returnable incase it's like my 95 one.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #12 Qavion, May 19, 2019
    Ooops.. just read your notes. At first glance, I though you could change the motor and white gear as a unit, but now I see they are completely different.

I wish there was a way of looking inside them without cutting them up. I have a spare fresh air actuator. It's marked 01/99

13. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    John, thanks for pointing this difference out. Am I right that the fresh air actuator of the the spur variety Is used in the older 5.2 F355 cars? If that is the case I am thinking I should be OK as I have a 1997 Spider. Cheers, Trev

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #14 Qavion, May 19, 2019
    They both look like different types of worm gears. Better specify white gear type.

I see now you can identify the two types by case shape. (EDIT: no you can't.... The white worm gear type comes in two different case shapes, one of which looks like the black gear type case.).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146434918/

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, May 19, 2019
  16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The outer cases for the two recirc actuators I have are obviously different. The one with white worm gear looks similar to the picture in post #1 expect it doesn't have the ribs on the area over the motor, otherwise identical. The one with spur gears has a different case. Of course, that's for the two I have. But I have no idea which cars got witch.

I was luck to get OEM replacements for both. Got the HVAC vent position actuator last summer for $90. Must have been the last one. The parts place I ordered it from had to get it from over seas warehouse. They now list them as NLA.

17. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    John, are the cases you have marked differently - MES or Magneti Marelli. Trying to see if the cases with the white gears and spur motors are MES or is it random like the cutout/no cutout cases.

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Perhaps this is an indication:
    On the white gear type case there are two pronounced semicircular indents in the case next to the mounting lugs (on the double lug side). On the black gear case, one of the indents doesn't curve back out again.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Too early to put on my glasses. For these spur gear is MM, others are MES.

20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What if you have both MES and MM on them? Transitional phase?

It seems there are a dozen different designs. I also have a new (5 pin) air direction motor (bought this year on eBay but it may be older stock). It has no markings other than EP and the numbers "48_90" stamped on it (white paint). Date? I think EP is just the type of plastic used. It has no "cooling fins" on the case and only two mounting lugs. The case has those small dome shapes on two of the corners. My new fresh air flap actuator doesn't have these dome shapes.

Could the dome shapes and deeper cutouts in the case next to the lugs signify white worm gear types?

21. perthite

perthite Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I have found on-line a Japanese manufacturer of worm gear, KHK Gears (Kohara Gear Industry). Their website is:

https://khkgears.net/new/

They even have an Australian distributor located in Melbourne which is handy!

Now all I need to do is measure the teeth pitch and diameter, bore diameter and mounting distance for the worm wheel and ground worm!! Importantly there is no minimum quantity!

They come in all types of material too which is great so not plastic - need to consider the weight though.

Could be problem solved very very cheaply!!

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Can you separate the broken wheel from the shaft? There are two worm gear sections.

Is the potentiometer on the final output gear/shaft? If it is, the gears are only controlling the speed and the potentiometer is controlling the positions. If the potentiometer isn't on the final drive shaft, then the gear ratios may be fairly critical (to get the tambour in the right position).

Or does the system self calibrate every time you power up the system? i.e. Does it run from one limit to the other and figures out where it should stop for the intermediate settings.

Some of those gears are not all that cheap. Especially the metal ones.

Anyway, good luck.
    Let us know how you go.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To open it there are 4 screws. After that there is a soldered plastic pin or 2 you can cut the solder flat head off then they just pry open. They go back together with the scews perfectly and seals as it was. the soldered pin is not needed more of a temper proof thing.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you use metal gears use metal everywhere or they will eat then plastic sides.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app