Ever checked your OIL LEVEL ? | FerrariChat

Ever checked your OIL LEVEL ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by arcangel, Mar 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    #1 arcangel, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have just checked the oil level of my 458 when its engine is cool . The oil level is far below the two holes marked on the stick . Is it normal ? Should I take the measurement at a different time such as right after the engine is turned off ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    Serious ?

The oil-level is checked with:
    -running engine
    -oil temp above 80 C

The difference between max and min is approx 2l / half gallon

For more details you are welcome to consult the owners manual ;)

F485 likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The car has a dry sump oiling system and the level must be checked using the correct method. If you don't, you will be led to think the level is low when it's really not, and if you act on that by adding oil, you will overfill it, leading to engine damage. Just the difference between cold temp and operating temp alone can make a huge difference in the indicated level, as the oil expands quite a bit when heated to operating temp. So yes, please review the manual and check according to the procedures specified!

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You absolutely have to follow the instructions for this as the others have said. Make sure to use some appropriate gloves because the oil filler cap is metal and it gets HOT.

My experience having driven tens of thousands of miles in various Ferrari V8 and V12 models is they don't munch motor oil anywhere near the way the German cars do (particularly BMW).

I forget exactly how much oil the motor requires but I would take an educated guess that if the motor was more than 1.5 quarts low on motor oil the warning light would come on.

5. YAMVS6

YAMVS6 Karting

Jan 26, 2011
    ohio
    no low oil level sensor in a 458,system depends on user to ck their oil level,best to keep it under the full line even when hot,somewhere between min and max marks

6. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Just to reemphasize what others have said. Your cool engine measurement is useless. The engine must be hot and running. And keep in mind that it is better to run a little under than overfill. Overfilling is very bad.

7. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Is it possible to blow out the engine if over filled?

8. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    in general, turbo engines tend to consume oil.
    my 458 is my 3rd fcar.
    i have never added oil to a ferrari engine.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Two years ago I bought 3 quarts of oil just to have in case I needed to add to either the F430 or 458. I still have 2 of them. They don't use very much at all and the V12s use none.

10. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    According to the 2012 owner manual there is a warning light on the dash that indicates low oil level - looks like a dipstick...

11. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    +458. Go drive her instead. The yearly maintenance is good enough to deal with the oil level.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Depends on how much you overfill it.

The oil will froth if the oil level is high enough that oil gets picked up by the crankshaft. This can result in blown crankshaft seals. Frothing will be experienced as a loss of power when accelerating as the bubbling oil results in increased resistance against the crankshaft. If that happens, you should drop the engine revs, pull over and call the garage.

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Was it ever confirmed, is there a dash light for low oil level?

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Page 118 of the PDF owners manual indicates there is a dash icon for low oil level.

Robert Collins likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Many thanks Balsamina.

16. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You're welcome

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I agree!

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If this is cool engine then your level is perfect.

I ve got 18000 miles on my 458 spider and never needed to add any engine oil.

19. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have had to add oil periodically. It seems about every 2,000 miles or so. The manual provides very clear instructions. Best

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Which model year do you own where you need to add oil every 2,000 miles?

21. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    My 430 required about a quart every 1K miles or so (as also stated in the owners manual) but both of my 458s have never required any added oil.

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Spoke with dealer service manager today, confirmed dash warning icon will illuminate if needed. I have 2k on the car, said wouldn't need oil until May-July 2015, or 7k+ more miles.
    Also discussed how to get itunes music files over to flash drive and onto HDD in the car, since the owners manual is near worthless.

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had a 360 for seven years and logged about 70,000 miles. I checked the oil periodically and rarely needed to add oil. But to be honest, I actually could have just done nothing and the issue would be solved at the yearly oil change.

The f430 motor is different and so it may burn or consume oil a little more. But somehow I think that if you changed the oil once a year that any loss would again be inconsequential. The large oil capacity and the scavenging and low position of the pumps mitigates any risk if being low a bottle. Pulling Gs in a series of corners with WOT, probably puts the oil cooling system to the test much more than street driving with a half or one bottle down.

The 458 motor seems to have even less oil consumption than the 430. And again as this thread points out, there is greater harm which can be caused by inexperienced owners overfilling than inadequate oil volume.

24. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    This is what I do. I am not sure how to check it probably just a stick. Some of my cars have to be done at the gauge cluster.

I look at the floor of my car storage area. Found an oil leak once that way.

Best

Lee

25. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    assuming the worst at 2L of oil, that's an extra $25/1000km. Is this a problem?