Everyone should own a black car, at least once. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Everyone should own a black car, at least once.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Oct 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #26 CarreraScott, Oct 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #27 FerrariFrank1, Oct 20, 2004
    I must agree-both ways. Black Cars look absolutely Wicked....:) But,a Super Pain in the Ass to make perfect. And keep that way.

I owned a Black Corvette,and a Black Porsche. Looked great...from a distance. Get up close,and see every Swirl,Detail,Detail 'Boo Boo',Smear,etc... Then,again,from a distance,you can't really see the lines all that well...The side scoops on a 308/328/360. The Cheese Graters on a Testarossa. They kind of get "Lost" in all of the Blackness. But,up close...Beautiful!

But,I do have alot of Respect for someone that has a Perfect Black Car. Lots of work,for sure...Saw a Black '65 GTO over the Summer at a Cruise Night. It was absolutely Flawless. Beautiful.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this road looks familar, which one is it?

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I had a black car, of one kind or another, for almost 12 years straight. In fact at one point recently, I had three black cars. That was the proverbial straw, and as much as I love a clean black car, I now have two silver and one metallic gray cars. I get positively giddy when I go out to the gargage and realize I don't even have to wash a car to feel good about taking it out!!!
    And the most amazing thing is coming home and not even washing the car. Sometimes I feel guilty and do it anyway, but I don't HAVE to.

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Guys, look at the bright side.

You'll get used to washing a car every week, so appreciate your own work every week, family & friends will eventually start helping you, & you'll have a good knowledge of good washing & detail is all about (just like F1Ace!)

Owning Silver 355GTB, I don't get that previledge. I just won "the dirtiest Ferrari" at Rob's party in TX...

6. NTB

NTB Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #31 NTB, Oct 21, 2004
  7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

My wife owned four black cars in a row.

The last two, her BMW and first M-B, were such a PITA to care for I finally told her to do it herself. I was tired of washing them every day and they still looked dirty.

Her new M-B is bright silver and is about 10% as much trouble to keep clean.

I love the look of black 355 or 456, but practicality would dictate another color like Sera Blue or Silver.

8. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    JaguarXJ6, is that a bit of metallic I am seeing in that black? Nice job!

I have to say I agree with Red813085551212 that from far some details get lost on black cars, that's unfortunate, but as you say, up close it's all gooood.

MadHatter, I aspire to one day own a Black TR, oh I don't know, maybe like yours!!! So here's what I want you to do: Give me your car. No, don't THINK about it...just DO IT!!!! Keep your eye on the watch......you're getting sleepy....no make that stupid.....you want Wes to have a black car.....a black T-e-s-t-a-r-o-s-s-a........oh...look...there's one.....get the keys.....put them into the car......park the car outside......now.....call Wes at 204-555-1234 and.......STILL KEEPING THE EYE ON THE WATCH NOW......go to sleep....yes....you thought you owned a Testarossa but it was all a dream.....that's OK......you've still got your health.......zzzzzzzzzzz

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  10. pcelenta

pcelenta Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    no one mentioned how much birds like black cars...my 78 black/black will get crapped on without fail within 30 minutes of leaving it in the driveway. the last time the f"in stuff pitted some of the paint...must have been some kind of eagle poop. Anyway, I use meguires #7 exclusively on mine...no wax and no black cars again!!

11. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Oh, and I forgot to mention.....that black Enzo picture is so good it's just sickening!

Wes

12. white viper

white viper Karting

Feb 10, 2004
    w.p ny
    Full Name:
    jon
    i have a black escalade. i would rather cut off my foot then ever get a black car again

13. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I have a little black sedan, its dirty as hell right now and Im hoping for a bit of rain so I can leave it out and not wash it :)

Ive only washed it real good once, and Im feeling a bit sorry for it. I was going to take it for a detailing, but somehow Ive spent the majority of my money and it can wait.

14. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The car reminds me how easy it is to keep the truck looking clean. Though not in this picture.

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

16. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I have owned a number of black Ferraris.........always saying that this will be the LAST black car I own. I think black is a beautiful color on most Ferraris, however, the cleaning is a big job. I then got wise, and only washed them once a month.........a great relief. Remember, once inside, I can't see the dirt!!!!!!

I now own a black TR, for the summer..........and wash it once a month. The thrill is in the ride........and the car still looks good when dirty. My Winter driver is a black Toyota Camry........I wash it once a year, and only if it doesn't rain that year. It still looks OK.

I just bought a new MB E 500..........black!!!!!!!! This is for my daily driving during the summer........I plan on running it through the car wash once a week.

My Boxer is red, only because, to me, it looks better in red than in black!!!!!!!

17. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I don't know why you would say that. One needs to be careful perhaps, but I pressure wash it, chamois the large water areas, and microfibre towel off the rest. 10 minutes. No biggie.

As for JackRusselRacing: That is one terrific picture! I once again want a black 348!!!

As for CarreraScott: You're not serious are you? Are those 4 vehicles you own at the same time? Are you insane? I hope you live in a clean neighborhood.

QUESTION: I bought a black Ferrari for very specific reasons, but why do some of you buy black, not to mention over and over and over? Especially when you know it's hard to own....and on cars that look just fine in other colors?

Best!
    Wes

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Black looks so good! All my cars are black. I thought maybe I'd get someting different but Black is "low profile" and I like that.

TDF blue is also pretty good, not my choice though

19. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thanks! Its packed with metallic. At times, I wish for a gloss black, but it suits me fine for the most part :D

I spent 2 hours washing and waxing when I got home yesterday. I couldn't let him be dirty for more than 24hrs. Makes me grumpy.